Rust :(

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Rust? In today’s day and age of cars. Odd.

Supranos

First Name
Raff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Wth, this is definitely strange, waiting to hear what Toyota says about this.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Wth, this is definitely strange, waiting to hear what Toyota says about this.
I am sure Toyota will claim this is the break in process of the paint and that it’s normal like the oil burning...

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
[
I am sure Toyota will claim this is the break in process of the paint and that it’s normal like the oil burning...
Oh yes. and they'll say you don't have to worry about it, coz it is just small problem and it wont affect the safety and drivability of the vehicle. Just come back after five years so we can help you with your rust problem.

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
Has the dealer diagnosed this yet?

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Okay. I already cleaned the part with some q-tips with a dab of vinegar and here is the result (see attachment).

most of you guys said that the part is not made of metal. If this is a rust stain, would it be possible that the brackets/bolts are the one that is rusting?
That almost looks like dried cosmoline?

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Just an update.
Mar 27 (Sat) - I brought the vehicle to the dealership, showed them the problem, Shop Foreman says that they need to inform the corporate in regards to the issue. They cannot do anything without a go signal from them since there is no TSB nor a recall.

Mar 29 (today) 11am - I received a call from them stating that the corporate just wants them to clean up the rust :rofl: and return the vehicle to me. then if it comes back, I just need to bring it back so they can do the 2nd step (I dont know what is the second step).

3:20pm - They got back to me and I thought they will tell me to pickup the vehicle but instead, they said that they are going back and forth with the corporate. They tried to clean it but they said that I already took out most of the rust (stains?) :rolleyes:.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
OP, did you buy the car brand new? Did you take delivery at the dealer or did you have the car transported by any chance?

In the picture after cleaning it looks like something corrosive was dripped onto the area. Like maybe a corrosive solvent. The white paint looks like it was attacked and dissolved by something corrosive. The small area of paint looks partially dissolved by paint stripper. Or maybe brake fluid. Brake fluid will dissolve paint.

How are Supra's transported to the dealers? Are they wrapped? Are they loaded on traditional double level automobile transport trucks? I wonder if the car was on the bottom level of a transport truck and the top car over it dripped some break fluid? Maybe brake fluid dripped onto the glass and ran down into that channel/edge?

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
OP, did you buy the car brand new? Did you take delivery at the dealer or did you have the car transported by any chance?

In the picture after cleaning it looks like something corrosive was dripped onto the area. Like maybe a corrosive solvent. The white paint looks like it was attacked and dissolved by something corrosive. The small area of paint looks partially dissolved by paint stripper. Or maybe brake fluid. Brake fluid will dissolve paint.

How are Supra's transported to the dealers? Are they wrapped? Are they loaded on traditional double level automobile transport trucks? I wonder if the car was on the bottom level of a transport truck and the top car over it dripped some break fluid? Maybe brake fluid dripped onto the glass and ran down into that channel/edge?

I did buy the car brand new back in Jan 2020. The car was already at the dealership when I bought it. I remember that it has those plastic wrap on the wheels and plastic wraps inside the car. It was not transported from another dealer. I drove the car home.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I did buy the car brand new back in Jan 2020. The car was already at the dealership when I bought it. I remember that it has those plastic wrap on the wheels and plastic wraps inside the car. It was not transported from another dealer. I drove the car home.
Bring the car to a qualified body shop for their opinion. Have them write up a statement of what they think it is.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
This is interesting. Sucks man, keep us posted! I don't hand dry my car, I use an Adams Air Cannon to dry the car and blow all the water out of the small crevice's. This car has some spots that are notoriously bad for holding water and you would never get it all out without something that can produce a high volume of airflow. The mirrors, the rear trunk lid near window, under the trunk deck, in the fake vent honeycomb on the doors and hood. The Air Cannon gets all of that and makes sure I don't have to go back over the car with another cloth that could potentially introduce more swirling from accidental dirt particles. The worst thing, especially on a black car, is coming out to the garage the next day after washing the car just to see that water had leaked out of the mirror crevices and water spotted down the doors.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
I had somewhat similar stains on my car when it arrived at the dealership before I took delivery. Not in the same spot but I dont doubt it could have been. It looked like rust had dripped down on my car and settled into the paint in big drips. I asked about it and they told me it happens at the port. Mine looked very mild compared to how dark yours was. My theory would be something similar happened at some point.
20201011_145613.jpg
20201011_145617.jpg
20201011_145706.jpg

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
That looks like drips from the ship itself. Any steel-built ship is a huge, floating rust machine. Requires constant repainting and maintainence, and you'll always be dealing with rust, especially as water seeps through the whole thing and drips. Just a thought.
Sponsored