Rust :(

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
That looks like drips from the ship itself. Any steel-built ship is a huge, floating rust machine. Requires constant repainting and maintainence, and you'll always be dealing with rust, especially as water seeps through the whole thing and drips. Just a thought.
Right. They cleaned it off before delivery and there's nothing remaining. I was just giving OP an example of other rust-looking spots on painted surfaces. Since his was down in the area that pools the most on the decklid, I'd be more apt to say it's rusty runoff and nothing to worry about. A good detailer should be able to get it out.
Sponsored

Dooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91
Did you try using any of the detailing products that breakdown the iron particles? Such as Iron X and Iron Remover then agitate it with detailing brush. I would try that out

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Bring the car to a qualified body shop for their opinion. Have them write up a statement of what they think it is.

Yes, That will be my next step. The car is still with the dealership and since they are talking to corporate, I asked them to check if they have the solution to the wiper twitch issue. I know that the wiper twitch is normal on some BMW vehicles, but it my case, it twitches for 25-34 times in 5-7 minutes.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yes, That will be my next step. The car is still with the dealership and since they are talking to corporate, I asked them to check if they have the solution to the wiper twitch issue. I know that the wiper twitch is normal on some BMW vehicles, but it my case, it twitches for 25-34 times in 5-7 minutes.
If you get an answer about the wiper twitch issue, post it up. Mine's been doing it since day one. I'm sure it's software.

OP
OP
Shiro-1

Shiro-1

First Name
Mister M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Prem
Got a call from the dealer and they told me that they will bring the car to the paint & body shop to fix the rust issue.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Got a call from the dealer and they told me that they will bring the car to the paint & body shop to fix the rust issue.
Did they confirm what it actually is? I am not sure what is worse? Painting the deck lid or leaving it alone? Or partial touch up? Hopefully it will clean up with clay or something and is not actually damaged paint. Good Luck.

HarrisRacing

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (tunable)
Hi, I just bought a 2021 in silver (build date 6/2020) and found a rust spot on it at 425 miles. Did anyone determine what cars are affected by this issue? How are we having rust spots there if the hatch is indeed composite?!

Attachments

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Gents,

Check your vehicles too. This can be a recall or TSB. I just noticed it last Sunday when I was cleaning the vehicle.

I already made an appointment this Saturday. I purchased the car back in January 2020 and I right now I only have 2100 [two thousand one hundred] miles on the odometer. Car is garaged and never driven on the rain, snow and never seen the socal beaches and I only use Meguiars gold class car wash shampoo and conditioner.

right side rear.jpg

right side.jpg

left side rear.jpg
I always make sure to blow that out with air. Also open that hatch after wash. It catches a lot of water.

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal
Hi, I just bought a 2021 in silver (build date 6/2020) and found a rust spot on it at 425 miles. Did anyone determine what cars are affected by this issue? How are we having rust spots there if the hatch is indeed composite?!
Might be from rail dust. Seems unlikely there would be that much though

Reactions: zrk

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I know this sounds crazy, but it maybe from nearby arc-welding flares. When I use to work for a manufacturing company, when we took a tour of the factory where they welded different metals, if steel was welded very closely to other metals, the arc would shoot off molten bits onto the surface of other metals and they would overlook it. Could this be arc spray that landed on that piece during manufacturing that is now rusting? Just a thought.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I know this sounds crazy, but it maybe from nearby arc-welding flares. When I use to work for a manufacturing company, when we took a tour of the factory where they welded different metals, if steel was welded very closely to other metals, the arc would shoot off molten bits onto the surface of other metals and they would overlook it. Could this be arc spray that landed on that piece during manufacturing that is now rusting? Just a thought.
although interesting theory but most not likely as these rust particles are over paint. - paint process is after all weld is done as standard practice. I'm certain that these rust spots by OP can be removed by simple wipe.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
although interesting theory but most not likely as these rust particles are over paint. - paint process is after all weld is done as standard practice. I'm certain that these rust spots by OP can be removed by simple wipe.
Yeah, I meant pre-painting. The arc spray prior to painting. The reason I mention this, is the sprinkles of rust that look like arc spray under the paint. If arc spray was post-paint, it would look more detailed and wouldn’t stick very well. This looks like it may have happened while the raw metal panel was in the process of manufacturing.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
I had a similar situation, I just used a cleaner/wax and removed it, I would have NEVER brought it to a typical body shop!!,if I couldn’t resolve the problem myself,I would have brought it to a professional detailer, not a body shop!
Sponsored