Selling the Supra - Advice pls

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
Foreal. I found myself planning too many things for the car while being 24 yrs old with goals that I really want to focus on. I figured having a tesla will prevent me from tinkering with the car because it's so obnoxiously boring yet easy to live with. Next car, BMW M series or Porsche whenever I get to that stage of life! :)
I said this in my mid 20's too. Now I'm in my mid 30's with 3 kids, kids tae kwon do, soccer, swim lessons, and baseball... not to mention mortgage/property tax, wife, $600+ Costco runs every two weeks, a Toyota Tundra, Subaru Ascent, Lexus ux250h and now a Toyota Supra.

Why am I saying all this?

Because you're 24. You're a young adult with maybe some commitments. Your Supra is your toy to enjoy right now while you're young -- when you're older maybe with some kids, maybe with more financial obligations... getting these things becomes a little more difficult because of so many other variables that creep up when you're older.

Anyways, not trying to tell you what to do.. but just trying to give you some perspective from someone who sold their Evo IX in the mid 2000's so I can get an EP Civic daily and use the rest of the money to get a shitty condo with my now ex-girlfriend.

DR.COKE

First Name
COKE
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SUPRA
Wow congratulations on your success, owning a Supra and upgrading to sometime more expensive at such an early age. Makes me seconds guess myself at your age. Remember maxing out student loans and working 20 to 40 hours a week to cover college expenses with no help. Took me to 40 years old to buy a used Supra after paying off the 250k student loans, 2-Morgage and 1 year emergency Fund.
back to your question, your Supra new was purchased around 60k no tax/interest/mods. Selling it for 52k give you a 14% lose or 8k over a year With no headache. Private might give you up to 55k. I rather sell for 52k and be done, not many buyers with cash on hand and too many funny business. Trying to sell my dam reliable beater Acura TL-S for 4K and 80% response are scammers. After 20k miles itā€™s well worth the 8k lose. I just put 1500 miles over 5 months.
if your dealer and state allows, better to trade in the Supra to evade full tax on the Tesla. If you trade in at 52k and Tesla is 80k you only pay 28k in tax.
For OP to be in his position he played his cards 100% right so far at his age. I couldnā€™t afford to eat at the dollar menu Back then.

Richard Truman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Preamum
Foreal. I found myself planning too many things for the car while being 24 yrs old with goals that I really want to focus on. I figured having a tesla will prevent me from tinkering with the car because it's so obnoxiously boring yet easy to live with. Next car, BMW M series or Porsche whenever I get to that stage of life! :)
I am 76 and got my Supra guess I will slow down at 90 .

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
You shall not guilt trip me into keeping it šŸ„ø
As someone who has owned both of the best Tesla has to offer in the past year (Plaid and M3P), and is now back in a Supra yet again, I'll tell you that you're going to regret it.

Speed isn't the problem, even the normal Teslas accelerate great, and are especially surprising when you're already moving. The problem is the fundamentally flawed suspension, and the cabin. I'll be brief, but want to make sure you have all of the data you need, because you WILL modify the Tesla, it just won't be for power.

Cabin - Actually like how spartan it is, and tons of storage, but there is an absolutely insane reverb from the glass roof. I've tried multiple ways of fixing it, and I've managed to improve it, but not eliminate it. On a completely stock car, my wife absolutely refused to have a conversation in the car, as her hearing is extremely sensitive, and every noise was just like daggers to her ears. Definitely a compounding issue, and one that's mentioned quite frequently if you go searching for it.

Suspension - The geometry is pretty good, but the stock bushings are EXTRA sloppy. They're softer than what they put in most low-end Kias these days, and I'm not exaggerating. You're going to need to spend a bit of money to lock that car down, so that it doesn't feel like a constant wiggle-fest. Bad roads, hard braking, etc. Also a well-documented problem, even on the performance models. It is worse than you think, and the car is not even remotely confidence-inspiring on a good, curvy road. Of course, the suspension on the Tesla becomes a rabbit hole once you start looking at the first problem.

Range is very good, and going on some long trips eliminated range anxiety for me, but I will say that a wider or stickier tire will diminish your range MUCH more than you think. There isn't enough sidewall on the stock setup to drive around here, so smaller wheels and more tire is a requirement, which of course makes you also want to go a bit wider, since the car is so heavy. Going from the stock 235 Pirelli time bombs on the M3P to a 265 PS4S equates to a 15-20% drop in range.

I could get into how they're constantly screwing things up from a software perspective, etc., but they usually fix that, and sometimes they even do so fairly quickly. Elon's idiotic battles with random companies will change what apps are available on your car by the day - like his little feud with Disney eliminating the Disney+ app - but it's fairly rare, but definitely annoying to feel like you're being dragged into someone else's personal BS just because they're the CEO of the company whose car you happen to own.

If I were you, and I was dead-set on going electric, I would take a serious look at the competition. Obviously the Teslas are better than most of what is on the market right now, as far as being an EV goes, but I'd be looking at a Mustang Mach E or something instead. The one thing Tesla DOES really nail is eliminating the dealership experience - the buying process is definitely one of the easiest in the industry.

Anyway, if I wasn't dead-set on an EV, I'd probably be looking at an M340i or something like that... Hell, I'd even consider going with the new Elantra N and saving a ton of money in the process, my daughter has a Kona N and it's a blast.

Just my 2 cents - Regardless of what you do, hopefully you love it!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
As someone who has owned both of the best Tesla has to offer in the past year (Plaid and M3P), and is now back in a Supra yet again, I'll tell you that you're going to regret it.

Anyway, if I wasn't dead-set on an EV, I'd probably be looking at an M340i or something like that... Hell, I'd even consider going with the new Elantra N and saving a ton of money in the process, my daughter has a Kona N and it's a blast.
Wait, you mentioned at the top that you are back into a Supra, but at the end, it looks like you are dead-set on an EV? Which is it?

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Wait, you mentioned at the top that you are back into a Supra, but at the end, it looks like you are dead-set on an EV? Which is it?
It was from the OPā€™s point of view. It will be quite some time before I consider an EV again.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
It was from the OPā€™s point of view. It will be quite some time before I consider an EV again.
Ah, that makes sense after what you went through. To me, having a Tesla would be like driving my Supra and seeing 20 identical ones (same color, even), every time I ventured out.
That would drive me crazy. šŸ˜¬

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)

Speed isn't the problem, even the normal Teslas accelerate great, and are especially surprising when you're already moving. The problem is the fundamentally flawed suspension, and the cabin. I'll be brief, but want to make sure you have all of the data you need, because you WILL modify the Tesla, it just won't be for power.

Cabin - Actually like how spartan it is, and tons of storage, but there is an absolutely insane reverb from the glass roof. I've tried multiple ways of fixing it, and I've managed to improve it, but not eliminate it. On a completely stock car, my wife absolutely refused to have a conversation in the car, as her hearing is extremely sensitive, and every noise was just like daggers to her ears. Definitely a compounding issue, and one that's mentioned quite frequently if you go searching for it.

Suspension - The geometry is pretty good, but the stock bushings are EXTRA sloppy. They're softer than what they put in most low-end Kias these days, and I'm not exaggerating. You're going to need to spend a bit of money to lock that car down, so that it doesn't feel like a constant wiggle-fest. Bad roads, hard braking, etc. Also a well-documented problem, even on the performance models. It is worse than you think, and the car is not even remotely confidence-inspiring on a good, curvy road. Of course, the suspension on the Tesla becomes a rabbit hole once you start looking at the first problem.

Range is very good, and going on some long trips eliminated range anxiety for me, but I will say that a wider or stickier tire will diminish your range MUCH more than you think. There isn't enough sidewall on the stock setup to drive around here, so smaller wheels and more tire is a requirement, which of course makes you also want to go a bit wider, since the car is so heavy. Going from the stock 235 Pirelli time bombs on the M3P to a 265 PS4S equates to a 15-20% drop in range.

I could get into how they're constantly screwing things up from a software perspective, etc., but they usually fix that, and sometimes they even do so fairly quickly. Elon's idiotic battles with random companies will change what apps are available on your car by the day - like his little feud with Disney eliminating the Disney+ app - but it's fairly rare, but definitely annoying to feel like you're being dragged into someone else's personal BS just because they're the CEO of the company whose car you happen to own.

If I were you, and I was dead-set on going electric, I would take a serious look at the competition. Obviously the Teslas are better than most of what is on the market right now, as far as being an EV goes, but I'd be looking at a Mustang Mach E or something instead. The one thing Tesla DOES really nail is eliminating the dealership experience - the buying process is definitely one of the easiest in the industry.

Just my 2 cents - Regardless of what you do, hopefully you love it!
wow, thank you for going into great detail for me to see your perspective. I don't know about the Plaid, but i did order the refreshed model 3 LR and im putting my faith into the build quality of that car. I test drove one recently and it was great. The ride comfort was very nice. with double acoustic glass around the car. The suspension was definitely soft and less bumpy to the previous model. From my perspective going into the purchase of a tesla rather than one of the KIA, HYUNDAI, GENESIS EV's is the tesla charging network, and the software is much farther ahead than most competitors. Although im new to the platform i guess i will just have to find out and see!

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
wow, thank you for going into great detail for me to see your perspective. I don't know about the Plaid, but i did order the refreshed model 3 LR and im putting my faith into the build quality of that car. I test drove one recently and it was great. The ride comfort was very nice. with double acoustic glass around the car. The suspension was definitely soft and less bumpy to the previous model. From my perspective going into the purchase of a tesla rather than one of the KIA, HYUNDAI, GENESIS EV's is the tesla charging network, and the software is much farther ahead than most competitors. Although im new to the platform i guess i will just have to find out and see!
I will say the build quality has come a LONG way. Donā€™t be too worried about that aspect, the vast majority come out just fine, unless itā€™s the end of quarter crunch.

Do keep in mind that all major manufacturers are going to be using the Tesla charging network soon. Ford and Rivian I believe already have free adapters, and the rest are coming along soon as well.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)
I said this in my mid 20's too. Now I'm in my mid 30's with 3 kids, kids tae kwon do, soccer, swim lessons, and baseball... not to mention mortgage/property tax, wife, $600+ Costco runs every two weeks, a Toyota Tundra, Subaru Ascent, Lexus ux250h and now a Toyota Supra.

Why am I saying all this?

Because you're 24. You're a young adult with maybe some commitments. Your Supra is your toy to enjoy right now while you're young -- when you're older maybe with some kids, maybe with more financial obligations... getting these things becomes a little more difficult because of so many other variables that creep up when you're older.

Anyways, not trying to tell you what to do.. but just trying to give you some perspective from someone who sold their Evo IX in the mid 2000's so I can get an EP Civic daily and use the rest of the money to get a shitty condo with my now ex-girlfriend.
Thank you for giving me a perspective into your life! I actually got the supra because of someone i knew in the corvette community. He urged me to enjoy while i can without any true commitments coming upon my life as well!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Keep the car. Enjoy and keep an open mind on future commits - ie, family etc. I never had kids and travel the world and enjoy what I want to drive. Never cared or felt the need or drive to be a father. Have a superb woman who didnt want kids either. No shortage of humans at all. I was lucky that my own parents offered no pressure on such things as well. 'Its not for everyone' they stated when I told them I never felt the urge to be a father/parent.

I would not be selling the Supra. You want to save money? Keep it longer. Get good fun cars and keep them.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
It really does depends lol I don't have plaid money yet! But def you're right.
Buddy just bought a used Plaid for ~$60k & 35k miles. It was a blast to ride in & the tech is insane (to me!). Also, their prices are dropping like rocks šŸŖØ After a quick ride in his, he hopped in my car (it was a weekend at work - quick lunch break). He had no idea a car could stop that fast or turn so quick. I just accelerated & did a u-turn. It wasnā€™t track style gā€™s but pretty impressive to him apparently. Heā€™s now looking for big brake kits, lol.

Oh yeah, he was grinning ear to ear on the sound of it as well. Kept laughing at how loud it was and how much faster it felt (with the roar of the engine). Two completely different animals šŸ šŸ¦

I wouldnā€™t mind having one. Especially after riding in his. Impressive as hell!
Sponsored