Servicing brakes

Carbon0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
I’m planning on servicing the front brakes. Going to order the parts from brembostoreusa.com. I know I need to replace the wear sensor but other than that do I need something special? Also does anyone have any tips or tricks about the process? Or is it as basic as it gets? I tried seeing if someone had a guide but couldn’t find anything but people replacing pads.
Sponsored

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
There a few nice videos on youtube you can watch.
Nothing special but the orginal pads are glued to the piston, so you will need to jiggle them a bit to remove.
The pad sensor needs to be changed only if the light came to the dashboard, but it might be worth to buy one in case anyway.

For the day you need to change to rear, check before how to retract the electronic parking brake.

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
You’ll need BimmerLink or ISTA+ to put the rear calipers in the service position. Other than that it’s not really hard.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
You’ll need BimmerLink or ISTA+ to put the rear calipers in the service position. Other than that it’s not really hard.
For rear, it is good to have but he is doing front as per original post so not needed.

As for changing brake pads on front, it is straight forward. if you can pull brake pad wear sensor without breaking it, you can still use old one. have a spare just in case. to compress pistons back, there are tools available to make life easy but I just use old pad fulcrum with rotor to push it back, you want to make sure piston is pushed all the way. Used pad is also used for me to put the pin back in in place of mallet. what ever you use, make sure pins are securely back in place. use link below for reset brake pad service interval.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/resetting-service-lights-brake-pad-oil-etc-cbs.8685/

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
I changed my front pads without removing the calipers (normal method for fixed calipers, I suppose?) and I didn’t have to jiggle the original Brembo pads - I had to pry them out and it wasn’t easy. Lots of rubber cement-like glue on the back of the pads. Other than that, it was pretty simple. Pushing the pistons in to the caliper was also pretty easy with a wide pry bar that could push both pistons at the same time.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Carbon0

Carbon0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
So is the glue necessary at all? Should I put some on for the replacement pads? If not then it feels like a trick they are doing so that you don’t service it yourself.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
So is the glue necessary at all? Should I put some on for the replacement pads? If not then it feels like a trick they are doing so that you don’t service it yourself.
Glue is not necessary. however, you might need to transfer shims from original pad to new if it doesn't come with new pads. Also, you should put very light amount of high temp grease to where pad touches caliper.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
I routinely replace dust seals which are around the pistons. They are inexpensive and easily damaged especially as the pads are glued to the caliper

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
For awareness, the ease of getting the front pads out seems to vary greatly, probably depending on how long you have had them in there or how hot you got them. Some people have no issue, but the first time I tried to swap mine for track pads after ~1500 miles they were a nightmare to get out. I just could not pry them out. The only thing that finally worked was jamming a putty knife down between the pad and the pistons while hitting the back of it with a hammer to cut through the glue. Came out fairly easily after that.