Several HPDEs in, looking into mild track upgrades

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wow how did I fall off this thread (notifications). Great stuff Wes!! I’m in the just point someone by gang. If I catch them again, they can point me by. It’s more fun that way. I also like driving in groups w/out point by’s. That alleviates tons of issues.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I really hope all of this knowledge helps someone else out too. You don't have to spend much money to make a car that's already brilliant on the track as is to the point where it's a track machine.

Pads/fluid, front camber adjustability, and square 18" 275s *cough* Kuhmo 730s *cough* will get you a competitive nearly stock car that eats track miles like they're nothing and let's the driver focus on becoming a better driver. Then it's seat time, seat time, and more seat time. Followed by...seat time.

Next mods are coilovers/supporting mods, improved safety mods including seats/harnesses/HANS device/fire extinguisher, and my favorite mod...seat time.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I drove my Supra on track for the first time today. I had autocrossed it, and have done HPDE before, but hadn’t driven a car with this much power on track before.

I have minimal mods: f/r sways, pads/fluid/SS lines, and 200tw tires on stock wheels.

The car is an absolute weapon even without added camber. It is an absolute beast and is so much fun.

One thing that caught me out - man is she thirsty! I topped off my tank 1 mile from the track, and but mid-way through my third session I was experiencing fuel starve. I dropped from 4 bars on the fuel gauge to 1 really quickly. Guess next time I’ll pack a small container of petrol.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I drove my Supra on track for the first time today. I had autocrossed it, and have done HPDE before, but hadn’t driven a car with this much power on track before.

I have minimal mods: f/r sways, pads/fluid/SS lines, and 200tw tires on stock wheels.

The car is an absolute weapon even without added camber. It is an absolute beast and is so much fun.

One thing that caught me out - man is she thirsty! I topped off my tank 1 mile from the track, and but mid-way through my third session I was experiencing fuel starve. I dropped from 4 bars on the fuel gauge to 1 really quickly. Guess next time I’ll pack a small container of petrol.
Yup, she thirsty! I typically fill up 2-3x per HDPE.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

That’s great man! Wes is spot on with seat time.

I bring two cans. Sometimes only one. It’s funny how we can drive to the track, get over 30 mpg, then beast mode on track & back to daily driver so well. I’m really going to try and not go overboard with this car this time. Fingers crossed 🤞

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@decodeddiesel - I drive to and from the tracks during season. I’m currently at -3 camber and want to go to -3.5. I know you drive to the track as well. I’ve never had an inner tire wear problem (like you’d assume). Only outer from a different issue.

Anyway… this year I’ll be making my longest haul to Daytona w/out throwing her on a trailer. It’s about 215 miles to the track. Wife will bring another set of tires in the GTI. So I’m going to do it. Question is, you think it’ll make a difference going this extra distance? Miami is ½ the distance and Sebring is only 75 miles away. That’s my usual haul.

Anyone else do this? (I did the trailer thing for years with a dedicated track car - so I think you’re onto something @type-964 keeping it simple)

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@decodeddiesel - I drive to and from the tracks during season. I’m currently at -3 camber and want to go to -3.5. I know you drive to the track as well. I’ve never had an inner tire wear problem (like you’d assume). Only outer from a different issue.

Anyway… this year I’ll be making my longest haul to Daytona w/out throwing her on a trailer. It’s about 215 miles to the track. Wife will bring another set of tires in the GTI. So I’m going to do it. Question is, you think it’ll make a difference going this extra distance? Miami is ½ the distance and Sebring is only 75 miles away. That’s my usual haul.

Anyone else do this? (I did the trailer thing for years with a dedicated track car - so I think you’re onto something @type-964 keeping it simple)
Mark,

It just so happens the drive to The Glen is about 230 miles for me. I drove there and back on brand new tires and literally saw no indications of inner tire wear.

Beyond that, I've been daily driving my car all summer on the OEM wheels/tires with -3.2 degrees front, and -2 degrees rear camber and I see no inner tire wear. Even the small amount of toe-in I'm running in the rear isn't causing any perceivable excess wear.

Toe is what kills tires because of the flexation (scrub) it causes. Lot's of negative camber does little to nothing I've seen. You'll be fine.

Wish I could join you!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mark,

It just so happens the drive to The Glen is about 230 miles for me. I drove there and back on brand new tires and literally saw no indications of inner tire wear.

Beyond that, I've been daily driving my car all summer on the OEM wheels/tires with -3.2 degrees front, and -2 degrees rear camber and I see no inner tire wear. Even the small amount of toe-in I'm running in the rear isn't causing any perceivable excess wear.

Toe is what kills tires because of the flexation (scrub) it causes. Lot's of negative camber does little to nothing I've seen. You'll be fine.

Wish I could join you!
One less thing for me to worry about! Thx brother. Hopefully you can & will join me someday soon.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
….(I did the trailer thing for years with a dedicated track car - so I think you’re onto something @type-964 keeping it simple)
At my level I still have seconds I can take off my lap time. Until I plateau and feel like I’m battling those last few tenths, I’m going to try not to upgrade the car….Much.