Should I go catless or catted downpipe (with stock turbo)?

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Hello, new here!

I've done some searching around and had trouble finding clear answers for this. I'm looking at getting a custom tune for my 2020 - basically just 93 octane and flex for e50 on stock turbo. Would going with a higher flow catted DP like the FI exhaust sport 200 cell, or the CG Precision DS-1 make much of a difference when it comes to power gains vs a catless DP?

I'm in FL so the only concerns going catless might be the smell (never had a catless car) and the sound difference. I'm not looking to push things to the max as far as tuning, but if it gains a significant amount of Hp/tq I may want to go without the cat.
Sponsored

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
If you aren't racing (track, drag, auto x) then you want a cat. Cattless cars is a race car thing. It's loud and smelly which is a reasonable trade for an extra 1/10th of a second. The power increase between a highflow cat and catless is almost immeasurable on a butt dyno. And let's be honest, if you aren't racing then you aren't measuring to the 1/10th of a second. That leaves you your butt dyno. And if you can't feel the difference then is there any value in it at all?

Yes, the good catted downpipes cost more money. But you're driving a 50+k car. Going cattless to save money is like going to a fancy restaurant and not tipping because the meal was so expensive. If you can't afford it then don't do it. Don't half ass it because it's cheaper for you.

And please don't fall for the "but semi trucks, guys rolling coal, ..." Semis and construction equipment do work. And even they fall under their own restriction. And the other guys a bigger a hole doesn't excuse you for being one (albeit smaller one).

Why catted? Love your city. Back in 70s cats became a thing and leaded gasoline was deprecated. This lead to significant reduction in smog. It's not same fake conspiracy new world order blah blah. It's proven, night and day, improvement.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Try to meet up with a local forum member with a catless car. That'll help you decide. That said, I'd never put catless on a street-driven A90 for the reasons Awales set out above. It smells atrocious and sounds pretty bad around town.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
At that power level, the gains are minimal and likely not worth the trade off in a daily-ish driven vehicle.

I went catted (CG Precision), and there is still some smell. Pretty much at my limit for a street car. I havenā€™t smelled it personally, but if a 400 cell cat like AAā€™s DP reduces the smell, Iā€™d say thatā€™s worth it over the 200 cell cat on the CG precision.

You can sell your stock downpipe making the purchase significantly more affordable. @NitroYellowMKV can hook you up.

tvnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
At that power level, the gains are minimal and likely not worth the trade off in a daily-ish driven vehicle.

I went catted (CG Precision), and there is still some smell. Pretty much at my limit for a street car. I havenā€™t smelled it personally, but if a 400 cell cat like AAā€™s DP reduces the smell, Iā€™d say thatā€™s worth it over the 200 cell cat on the CG precision.

You can sell your stock downpipe making the purchase significantly more affordable. @NitroYellowMKV can hook you up.
Any CEL with the CG Precision?

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you're going for max power then catless. If you mind the smell of gas at all then AA catted.

-Josh

tvnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Tuned almost immediately, so no CEL. I only drove about 50 miles before a tune with no cel, but if that matters to you (DP with NO tune), Iā€™d go AA for the guarantee.
Are you running the stock exhaust with the CG?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
At least ur in FloRida @SavagePassenger and no one is going to fine you if you decide to take your mask šŸ˜· off (car included). Youā€™re not hurting anyone dude. Only your own conscious and beliefs. If not on team Greta, donā€™t sit in your garage sniffing your tailpipe, or freak out about a light on your dash, just go catless. Itā€™s cheaper and your car will breathe better. Canā€™t see why youā€™d pay more for less flow, if youā€™re looking for any power gains.

Last edited:

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium
I'm running catless with an AWE touring which is basically straight through...

i only smell the car at idle on startup. I know auto start/stop isn't very popular in this forum, BUT it does make a big difference in terms of smell having the engine off when siting at stop lights and general driving! the smell really isn't that bad as a whole but everyone has there own comfort level I guess.

will it smell more than stock? YES, duh...

does it smell anything even close to my 1963 ford? not even a comparison.

with stock exhaust there is hardly a difference in smell from my experience but i still wouldnt go sniffing my tail pipes or run my car in the garage either. hope this helps!
Sponsored