Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Perhaps open the hood and take a pic of the DP that's in there right now - maybe someone will be able to help.
DP? Sorry I'm car term challenged, lol.
Sponsored

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
No thanks, used to a lot in Highschool but I'm all grown up now... :cool:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I took it in to a reputable local shop and they said their diagnostics showed an issue with the Catalytic Converter, efficiency too low. They too smelled the smoke, said it had almost plastic-burning smell and that this definitely shouldn't be going on with such a newer car. They were unaware that it had an aftermarket exhaust and said it is best to take it to a dealership.

I just hope that damn aftermarket exhaust (it was already on when I purchased it) doesn't negate any warranty. Those CC's are $2K! I have it scheduled for the 20th. Oh, and apparently my tires are needing to be replaced soon. Weeeeee!!
The local shop couldn’t fix it? I’d find another shop that’s more versed on aftermarket parts. A race shop would be best because they see everything. It’s going to take more than just plugging it into a computer. True mechanics are hard to find. But when you do, it’s well worth it! Lastly, if you go to the dealer, ask for an estimate 1st. They typically just replace OEM parts that are broken. So that’d be my last stop.

Goodluck!

Decimari

First Name
Reshad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I had this problem, I believe it’s a PCV issue. I did the versus AOS and CCV thing and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I heard someone say their issue went away when they removed some oil from their car. I did that and I haven’t had the issue in 6 months.

I removed a quart and a half and I was only slightly below the full line.

I also had symptoms of leaking injector seals which I’m fixing now but I don’t believe it’s related.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Thanks for the info! My concern of not taking it in to the dealership is any potential void of warranty? I do like the sound of taking it to a race/aftermarket shop for their expertise but it's the warranty I will need to review to see if I can do that. Thanks again!

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Thanks for the info! My concern of not taking it in to the dealership is any potential void of warranty? I do like the sound of taking it to a race/aftermarket shop for their expertise but it's the warranty I will need to review to see if I can do that. Thanks again!
Well if you're worried about warranty then why mod. Either go in find out what's wrong and get the warranty voided. Or have a big issue and get the warranty voided.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Well if you're worried about warranty then why mod. Either go in find out what's wrong and get the warranty voided. Or have a big issue and get the warranty voided.
He's don't nothing to the car aside from buying it. Parts were on it when he bought.

I'd recommend get the pics first. Let the community help before you go through the hassle of hunting down another shop.

Exhaust shouldn't void warranty. Downpipe, idk, that one seems more serious. Someone here will know. If we can't help then maybe someone can recommend a place near you.

Dealers suck with our cars, imo. To test my battery they needed my car for days...still have a battery warning, heh.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Thanks bud...Yeah I'll back the car out of the garage and see if I can get any pics that can be helpful...Any specific angles?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Good question but a good aftermarket race shop can do tons of stuff without voiding your warranty. Just ask them. My guy will tell me yes, no or not sure. That doesn’t cost you a thing to ask. I’d definitely start there 1st. Ask around for a competent BMW mechanic in your area. It really makes for a great ownership experience when you have this. I’d do it regardless of having your issue.

You’ll hear the same theme of disappointment with going to the dealer. I’d rather pay a little money on the side than have my car down for days, weeks, just to hear they can’t fix it. A really good race shop will actually tell your dealer what to do and save them and you a ton of time.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Thank you very much for your thoughts on the matter...I am definitely going to start searching around...

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
So I contacted a BMW shop with killer reviews and they said they would be happy to help but that the smart play is to take it to a Toyota dealership because it sounds like a warranty issue that they should resolve. They wouldn’t want to do something that could potentially void the warranty which I totally get so I have an appointment this Saturday. Hopefully it gets resolved to my satisfaction.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Okay just got back from the dealership. I think the lady on the phone called it a "straight pipe" or "single pipe" exhaust? (it's a dual exhaust coming out of the very back). I can't remember. She said it's all the way from the turbo on back. Their comments:

"Could not confirm smoke from exhaust, exhaust does smell rich. Raised vehicle, has aftermarket exhaust and catalytic converter has been replaced with what appears to be a catalytic converter delete pipe. Efficiency too low, recommend removing after market exhaust and return to stock."

They said it would cost $7,600 to return the exhaust to stock. I couldn't hear what else they said after that as I was laughing them out of the room. So let's see, replace the $2,500 exhaust system, pay $7,600 to return to stock all so I don't have the rare trace of smoke once in awhile.

Sure, let me get right on that. <eye roll>

Oh, and I had the privilege of paying over $200 basically to put my car on a lift and tell me I have an aftermarket exhaust without a catalytic converter.

And they didn't even buy me dinner nor give it a wash. Pricks.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Damn, what even costs 7600 in that repair. Surely it’s not the stock cat and exhaust and labor there is minimal too.
Sponsored