Software update on 2019 3.0 Supra to latest 2023 software (UK)

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Hi all,

I wanted to do a small write up on my car post software update with Toyota. I know some people have wondered what’s gained or lost.

I brought my 2019 supra in to Toyota to have the latest software update installed to see if it fixed the throttle hesitation issue I have been having along with some problems with supra connect. Supra connect would not work at all with my car and the throttle hesitation thing was happening about once a week or more frequently.

Best way to describe it for those who haven’t heard of it is sometimes when you go to accelerate the revs bog down lower than idle and the car does not move. This lasts for 2-3 seconds and can leave you in some scary situations pulling out into 60’s. It also tends to dump the throttle suddenly after it’s done this making you leave some skid marks 😉

Anyway onto what the software update has done to my vehicle. I won’t comment on the throttle hesitation yet as it’s too early. However, I can talk about some unexpected changes to the car post update….

The first thing I noticed when driving away is that the steering is noticeably lighter. This is both in regular mode and in sport mode. I’d say this feels more positive than negative as it gives a sense of being a bit more responsive too.

The next thing I noticed was that the exhaust burble in sport had definitely changed. It’s not necessarily quieter across board but I’d say more refined. Before you’d get quite a consistent burble regardless of speed or gear (unless your giving it all then beans then it’s like a rifle) and now it seems a bit more in-line with what your actually doing….. more natural. As for start up it still does the roar, pops if you start it in sport and still burbles if you rev it at a standstill.

Now onto a change I really did not expect….. the transmission and throttle response. Off the bat across both modes the throttle response is night and day. I didn’t really expect this change and had no problems with it prior so it was a surprise. Also the transmission seems to engage instantly when pulling away whereas before it could sometimes be a bit sloppy and you’d rev a bit before the transmission woke up. Gear changes are also much smoother and faster across both modes and makes for a much better driving experience. It seems to have smoothed a bit of general automatic roughness you come to expect in any auto and has really made it perfect.

I know some people wondered if the car has been detuned slightly, as per worries in the bmw communities due to kick back on BMW’s cars making much more power than stated. I have not found this to be the case so far but more driving is needed.

I’ll update this thread as I drive it more post update.

hope this info helps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
I have the hesitation so will contact my local toyota. Does this update mess with the 2019 ecus and causes them to be locked or wipe a remap?

Cheers

Chris

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
I have the hesitation so will contact my local toyota. Does this update mess with the 2019 ecus and causes them to be locked or wipe a remap?

Cheers

Chris
Any update like this will re-lock an unlocked ECU that previously needed a bench unlock.

It’ll be bench-unlockable again though.

If you’re mapped, it could make the update a nightmare, so you’d be best restoring to stock before the update, then bench unlocking and remapping afterwards.

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
Great thank you for the info, I should be fine then as looking to get remap done so will just need bench unlock as originally planned

Reactions: nc_

ChrisA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S6
Just spoke to toyota and then don't know anything about it, I'm assuming it's not down as a recall? Nothing showing against my reg or vin. Does the update have proper name to ask for or is it just a case of take it to toyota and when they plug in to the car it will show there is a software update available?

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Just spoke to toyota and then don't know anything about it, I'm assuming it's not down as a recall? Nothing showing against my reg or vin. Does the update have proper name to ask for or is it just a case of take it to toyota and when they plug in to the car it will show there is a software update available?
Toyota are almost at a stage of denying the issue all together so you wont get an official line from anyone. If you are having the hesitation issue you just need to call your dealer and explain and throw in about apple car play needing an update (this seems to trickle down according to many forum users and update the ECU's). It unfortunately is a needed update you almost have to lie to get unless your dealer is understanding.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Yeah as the other guy said they aren’t admitting to it even though our Z4 twin has had a service bulletin for it. Best thing you can do is ask to speak to the supra tech directly as everyone else will give you the run around. Say you have an issue with Apple CarPlay disconnecting.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
As an update to everyone. Still no throttle issue. Would definitely report the pops and bangs are slightly quieter but mostly seems to be reduced in the active sound design.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Hi all,

thought I’d update now o have driven the car more. There’s a few more things I have noticed…..

Firstly maps on the head unit. My supra used to have a cool alternative theme that would give the route colour in a cool red with a dark theme. This seems to be gone which is kinda sad….. now it’s just blue route and the alternative is white.

Going back to the pops and bangs…. I seem to now have some subtle ones in normal mode where I did not have any before, this is kind of annoying as I liked it being completely on off. Don’t get me wrong you could get normal to do it if hammering it, but now it just sort of burbles away very slightly at low speeds.

Here’s a big one that blew me away…… the audio! The rear speakers actually seem to do something now. Before the rear speakers were next to useless even if you messed with the fader just due to how the filters must of been setup for them. But now they are INSANE and give a truly good audio experience compared to before. It really does have a much better filter on it only allowing certain sounds and provides good separation.

There also seems to be more strict conditions for its start up “roar”. Before it used to always sort of do it whereas now it only does it if it’s warm and seemingly if it’s got enough fuel.

that’s all for now!

Oh yeah and still no throttle hesitation. At the very least even if it appears again at this point it’s definitely better.

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I also recently had the latest software update done to my 2020 GR Supra ....

I did it for three reasons;

1) to "try" to fix throttle hesitation
2) EPS update ... better center feel
3) Electronic Damping Suspension improvements

I can report ...

1) i have not had the hesitation since the update
2) EPS feel defo improved
3) Damping feels improved especially in comfort mode (non-sports mode)

but the biggest improvement is to the Sound System ( as mentioned by HACKRCHILD) the BASS on the speakers is now 100% better.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Got my car booked in beginning of March for a major service at my closest GR centre. I mentioned the throttle hesitation and software update, but disappointingly they said they hadn't heard of it.

Do you have any details I can share pls. Anything on an invoice\job card?

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Got my car booked in beginning of March for a major service at my closest GR centre. I mentioned the throttle hesitation and software update, but disappointingly they said they hadn't heard of it.

if you mention everything and include "Apple Carplay keeps Disconnecting" most dealers will do it ... especially if you are getting a service done at the same time.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
if you mention everything and include "Apple Carplay keeps Disconnecting" most dealers will do it ... especially if you are getting a service done at the same time.
Thanks. I'm Android, but will tell a little white lie :)

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro

Despite specifically choosing my nearest GR centre (270 mile round trip) and briefing them of the throttle hesitation issue when booking it in, they could no replicate it (obviously) and could not find any updates to apply when checking against the VIN. Told them about the Apple CarPlay dropping too.

Thinking of going MHD in the coming weeks, which I know won't resolve it, but will also make it difficult to have the update applied in the future. Really disappointed :(
Sponsored