Spark plugs

Jackie.A90

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
For higher hp as in 700+ how often should the plugs be changed? I’ve got a lot of mixed answers.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
What is the reasoning you are getting for changing more often than normal?
Copper burns hottest, so that's what we used to use in our race engines. Those wore out quick and we pretty much swapped them out with every oil change. Modern plugs, like iridium, last forever and we haven't seen any need to swap them out at ridiculously early intervals.
Just curious what kind of advice you're getting and from whom.

OP
OP
Jackie.A90

Jackie.A90

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What is the reasoning you are getting for changing more often than normal?
Copper burns hottest, so that's what we used to use in our race engines. Those wore out quick and we pretty much swapped them out with every oil change. Modern plugs, like iridium, last forever and we haven't seen any need to swap them out at ridiculously early intervals.
Just curious what kind of advice you're getting and from whom.
Just looking at other threads and asking others with higher hp maybe it’s just out of habit that they change them kinda often but I’ve heard anywhere from every 3-4 oil change all the way to 40k miles but never a solid answer.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Just looking at other threads and asking others with higher hp maybe it’s just out of habit that they change them kinda often but I’ve heard anywhere from every 3-4 oil change all the way to 40k miles but never a solid answer.
That's kinda the car community, especially with a relatively new platform.
With the last car I had, there were people saying they would basically change oil before and after every track day. Why? "Why not?" Was basically the reply lol.
Some people like wasting money and feel warm and fuzzy by swapping stuff out constantly.
I say fine, let them waste their money. I always did my own research and came up with my own way of doing things. I never had a problem.
I would say steer away from basic Facebook groups and forums. Opinions will be all over the place.
Throw in a set of plugs and check on them periodically. Run them until you notice a loss of power. If it's because of the plugs, change them and make note of it.
Then at least you'll have a practical reason for your time frame.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
😂. Advice given on an Internet forum is to stay away from advice on Internet forums!