SupraMK86

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 3.0 Premium
LMAO, My wheel was modified by Royal Steering Wheels in the UK.

Also, they(China/Aliexpress co's) are using Toyota cores, it's a toyota steering wheel with "China" leather/carbon. So you just sound stupid sayin "chinesium", refering to China pot metal, when it's a Toyota wheel
Whatever helps you sleep better at night? It's your Chinese steering wheel. Enjoy it!
Sponsored

Pumice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I picked up this steering wheel from Ivan at DCTMS in Santa Clara, CA. His shop is the eBay seller in the original post. It's an aftermarket steering wheel with no core swap. It took about 8 weeks to manufacture. The build quality is excellent.

The first wheel I ordered from him was based on an OEM core and a bit thicker (wheel on the left in second pic). Unfortunately, whoever removed the core tore up the area around the two indentations where you insert a screwdriver to remove the airbag. If you buy one based on an OEM core, make sure they send you pics of the area around the indentations (center of third pic).

IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5481.JPG

Last edited:

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Anyone know if the BMW Z4 Steering wheel will fit the A90?
there is an IND mod thread that mentions the G29 Z4 wheel is plug and play for the Supra. The function buttons on the G series are a better fit than the F series sport wheels.

Unfortunately there wasnā€™t much more info on that swap test. But I notice that the g series steering wheels are compatible with F series cars (based on mod feedback stories).

personally Iā€™d prefer to have the bmw m sport wheel than the aftermarket carbon designs. But itā€™s pricier due to the airbag needed.

Blueevo

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra, BMW X5, MK1 MX5
got it.....wish me luck. I'm only cautious since my stock wheel fairly easy to move off and on once the screw was broken loose with an impact driver. The new wheel just seems tight and I didn't want to force it.
Mine is exactly the same. Hardly mounts the steering column thread. I've used a screwdriver to clear some of the channels of the steering wheel thread, but still pretty tight. I use a hammer and gave it a few taps which maybe making a little progress but stopped as I thought this can't be right. I've not tried it with the bolt to bring the wheel closer onto the steering column thread. Was it very difficult when you tried? I see from your later post you were successful, but still wanted to ask the qn. Many thanks

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Mine is exactly the same. Hardly mounts the steering column thread. I've used a screwdriver to clear some of the channels of the steering wheel thread, but still pretty tight. I use a hammer and gave it a few taps which maybe making a little progress but stopped as I thought this can't be right. I've not tried it with the bolt to bring the wheel closer onto the steering column thread. Was it very difficult when you tried? I see from your later post you were successful, but still wanted to ask the qn. Many thanks
Using the screw, it pressed on pretty easily. I was using a small ratchet so I wouldn't have as much leverage and it just pushed it all the way in without too much effort. Just make sure the splines are lined up and tighten away.

Blueevo

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Using the screw, it pressed on pretty easily. I was using a small ratchet so I wouldn't have as much leverage and it just pushed it all the way in without too much effort. Just make sure the splines are lined up and tighten away.
Cool, will give it a go tomorrow during daylight. Thanks for coming back so quickly.

Blueevo

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks like that was just the job! Thanks. I've taken a picture of the gap at the back of the wheel, would you mind confirming that your gap is similar so I can be comfortable it is all the way in? I physically could not tighten the nut up any more and i used locktite. Thanks v.much.

Attachments

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
@Blueevo Just passing on along information in this thread that was given to me. That looks like mine. We either did it right or both did it wrong. LOL.

Blueevo

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Blueevo Just passing on along information in this thread that was given to me. That looks like mine. We either did it right or both did it wrong. LOL.
Ha, this is a great forum. Love it. I've attached the finished article. Looking forward to going out to the shops later to give this a go.

Attachments

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Ok, my Alliexpress steering wheel arrived. Quality is perfect. I did the install and had some difficulty. Just thought I will report the issues I found so others can learn and decide which path to to take.

Airbag was a breeze to remove.
I tried a short wrench on the bolt and could not break it loose.
I tried a long wrench on the bolt and could not break it loose.
I tried a 150nM impact drill on the bolt and could not get it loose.
I gave up, reconnected the negative of the battery and drive up the road to mechanic without the airbag attached.
It took a decent impact driver 2 seconds to remove the bolt.

Transferring the old steering parts to the new was a breeze nothing complicated at all.

Fitting the steering wheel back on the spline was hard work it just did not fit nicely or smooth, the OEM steering wheel glided on and off, this worried me a bit.

as reported above. I had to place the steering wheel right on the edge of the spline and use the bolt to force it to go on. Once on pulling on it it doesn't come off again (admittedly I did not pull too hard) so I put some lock tight on the nut and tightened it down to 65nM with my torque wrench.

I only hope that I did not strip the spline but the steering wheel is tight and secure and solid. Hopefully never has to come off again for anything.

Driving the car with the new steering wheel is sensational it feels so much better and looks so much better.

I did not post pictures as its identical to the photos already posted.

So I drove the car with the airbag off to test it.

I then disconnected the battery and fitted the airbag making sure the connectors were secure. The airbag clicked back on solid and easily, so issues.

On starting the car I had a restraint error message that did not clear.

I had to use my OBD connector to clear the error. I now have no errors at all.

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
BIG TIME PROPS to Ivan at DCT Motorsports. His text replies to my questions were lightning quick. (Even on a Sunday evening) He happened to have exactly what I was looking for in stock!! Ordered it Monday and got it yesterday. Black alcantara with white stiching and no centerline. I'll drop it on this afternoon...

IMG_2231.jpeg

JimboSlice

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
anyone only able to get the new steering wheel about 1/4" onto the Spline? Did you just use the screw and press the wheel on (assuming the splines matched up)

Got everything transferred over...just need to get the wheel back on the car.

Any tips?
Sorry I just saw this now but Iā€™m glad you got it done! I had almost the same exact depth issue.

Once I was confident with the lining of the splines I just went full send with the impact wrench.
It will be a bitch to get this thing off of I ever need to change it ?

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Sorry I just saw this now but Iā€™m glad you got it done! I had almost the same exact depth issue.

Once I was confident with the lining of the splines I just went full send with the impact wrench.
It will be a bitch to get this thing off of I ever need to change it ?
Yes..same here the steering wheel is perfect but I don't think it can ever be removed without using some sort of vice or puller.....I guess when does anyone ever remove a steering wheel?

I had some iron filings after tightening. The OEM did not have a tight fit at all.

Anyway who's going back to the OEM anyway. This thing ain't budging. It's torqued down.

JimboSlice

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yes..same here the steering wheel is perfect but I don't think it can ever be removed without using some sort of vice or puller.....I guess when does anyone ever remove a steering wheel?

I had some iron filings after tightening. The OEM did not have a tight fit at all.

Anyway who's going back to the OEM anyway. This thing ain't budging. It's torqued down.
Haha! Same here. The next owner will have a nice wheel to place their fingers on ?
Sponsored