StreetHunter Wing Experience

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I recently purchased the StreetHunter Design rear wing for my 2020 Supra. Overall thoughts on this are it is a great and design, Toyota should’ve had an option to add a wing similar to this like the mkiv trd wing, but the quality could’ve been a better especially for the price paid. Also to mention there is no template for drilling the holes into the trunk lid which isn’t the end of the world, but it could’ve made life a little easier. After driving around with the wing, and from what I saw on another post, it seems the hardware included with the wing isn’t galvanized so that’s one thing to keep in mind.

I brought the car and wing to a high end shop here in the Bay Area that specializes in bodywork, paint, installing high end aftermarket parts for cars such as Mercedes Benz, Bentleys, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and so on. Euro Design in South San Francisco has been around for more than 25 years and they have lots of experience with aftermarket modifications such as installing a wing like this one.

I was present during the install process. Upon initial inspection of the wing supports and bridge it looked nice, like it would be a piece of cake to install. It would have been nice if the center of the supports where the screws are supposed to Mount to the bridge was pre drilled and ready to go. Not the end of the world, but would’ve made life a bit easier. The shop drilled those holes and painted the supports in Renaissance red 2.0 because they figured the fitment of the supports to the bridge would be pretty much perfect especially for the pretty price tag of the wing. Once it was painted, they tested the fitment of the assembled wing and noticed immediately in between the two holes that we had to make in the supports, there was a bit of a bulge on each support not allowing the fitment of the bridge to the supports to be flush. I then emailed and spoke to someone from the StreetHunter Designs team who said that their supports are hand made and the shop is doing something wrong. He also said it would fit fine once the bolts connecting the wing supports and the bridge were tightened down.

Upon further adjustment of the wing and fitment of the bridge to the supports, the bulges were still an issue. In order to correct it, they said they would have to grind the bulges down which could correct it at least theoretically. They then mocked up and drilled the holes into the trunk lid. Another thing to mention is the provided hardware that goes into the underneath of the wing supports and attaches it to the trunk lid fit the holes in the supports but were a bit loose, you could wiggle them around a little.
(Edit: Apparently the looseness is intentional, it is there so if the holes you drill don’t exactly align with the holes in the supports, it will still fit)

After the fitment was finalized, the wing was taken apart one last time and the supports were touched up with more of the Renaissance red 2.0 paint to match beautifully with the rest of the car.

Edit May 2021: I decided not to modify the wing supports because it seems that won’t help much. I did notice however a company called tunercult is giving away a Supra with a StreetHunter kit on it and it looks like they added spacers to fix the fitment issues. I’m thinking about doing the same thing to fix that issue and just call it a day. Overall though the wing looks great on the car.

8E311679-AD9E-4A7E-AF2E-2D6DCEB8E161.jpeg

A11FDA68-00E6-48B7-92F4-F7D3A19F2694.jpeg

91FB298B-0667-458B-B0AC-8033B6F9F1F4.jpeg

911F805A-C23E-4C34-8C39-1059C296F124.jpeg

BEDF9329-A78A-457C-BC11-CC509FACE96D.jpeg

FB489EF4-48EC-4556-8C07-44B8F7973401.jpeg

C1814C8C-E766-4AEE-9694-AD3FE7DF24B5.jpeg

10D201BC-862D-49CD-8317-8F7F5A3658C4.jpeg

924ECDFD-105D-43C1-BFF0-303F3D3F54F7.jpeg

Edit May 2021: I decided not to modify the wing supports because it seems that won’t help much. I did notice however a company called tunercult is giving away a Supra with a StreetHunter kit on it and it looks like they added spacers to fix the fitment issues. I’m thinking about doing the same thing to fix that issue or just call it a day. Overall though the wing looks great on the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
I remember another forum member having the exact same problems as you are. The wing seems very hit/miss

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
That is super unfortunate... You're right though, it is one sexy wing though! Hope to see around at a local meet sometime.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Hi all,

I recently purchased the StreetHunter Design rear wing for my 2020 Supra. Overall thoughts on this are it is a great and design, Toyota should’ve had an option to add a wing similar to this like the mkiv trd wing, but the quality could’ve been a better especially for the price paid. Also to mention there is no template for drilling the holes into the trunk lid which isn’t the end of the world, but it could’ve made life a little easier. After driving around with the wing, and from what I saw on another post, it seems the hardware included with the wing isn’t galvanized so that’s one thing to keep in mind.

I brought the car and wing to a high end shop here in the Bay Area that specializes in bodywork, paint, installing high end aftermarket parts for cars such as Mercedes Benz, Bentleys, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and so on. Euro Design in South San Francisco has been around for more than 25 years and they have lots of experience with aftermarket modifications such as installing a wing like this one.

I was present during the install process. Upon initial inspection of the wing supports and bridge it looked nice, like it would be a piece of cake to install. It would have been nice if the center of the supports where the screws are supposed to Mount to the bridge was pre drilled and ready to go. Not the end of the world, but would’ve made life a bit easier. The shop drilled those holes and painted the supports in Renaissance red 2.0 because they figured the fitment of the supports to the bridge would be pretty much perfect especially for the pretty price tag of the wing. Once it was painted, they tested the fitment of the assembled wing and noticed immediately in between the two holes that we had to make in the supports, there was a bit of a bulge on each support not allowing the fitment of the bridge to the supports to be flush. I then emailed and spoke to someone from the StreetHunter Designs team who said that their supports are hand made and the shop is doing something wrong. He also said it would fit fine once the bolts connecting the wing supports and the bridge were tightened down.

Upon further adjustment of the wing and fitment of the bridge to the supports, the bulges were still an issue. In order to correct it, they grinded the bulges down, not too much but just a bit, and the fitment was much better than before however not perfect. They then mocked up and drilled the holes into the trunk lid. Another thing to mention is the provided hardware that goes into the underneath of the wing supports and attaches it to the trunk lid fit the holes in the supports but were a bit loose, you could wiggle them around a little.

After the fitment was finalized, the wing was taken apart one last time and the supports were touched up with more of the Renaissance red 2.0 paint to match beautifully with the rest of the car.
FB489EF4-48EC-4556-8C07-44B8F7973401.jpeg
That’s 50 foot quality right there. I’m sure it looks amazing beyond that. ?

All jokes aside I would be pissed because of the cost and holes drilled into the car. So if they send you a new one do you need to re-drill the mounting holes?

-RJM

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
That sucks, but any good body shop would have mocked it up to see if there were any fitment issues prior to drilling or painting no matter how much I told them the part cost.

If issues were presented to the manufacturer upfront before any work was done, you may have had a better case to get the problematic parts replaced.

OP
OP
APanoMKV

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks, but any good body shop would have mocked it up to see if there were any fitment issues prior to drilling or painting no matter how much I told them the part cost.

If issues were presented to the manufacturer upfront before any work was done, you may have had a better case to get the problematic parts replaced.
I’m going to take a look at it some more and try to figure out if I can get it to fit a more flush somehow. I’m thinking I’ll prob try to loosen the bolts from the trunklid to see if that helps. Will update when fitment improves. If there’s a will there’s a way. Normally that shop is really good with things like this, seen lots of really great work from them and have been doing business with them for years.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
^^^that sucks... I personally would have a hard time looking at that everyday....
Hopefully the loosening and adjusting works for you...

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
This ain't it my man. For as much as they charge absolutely not.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I was looking at grabbing this, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to contact my body shop to show them the pics. Maybe they'll be able to see if this is something they'd be able to fix if they come across the same issue. Even then I don't think that this should be happening with a $1200-$1650 part.

Does the kit come with caps to cover the hardware that exposed when opening the trunk? I'm sure my shop has the materials to cover something like that up. But you'd figure they'd have everything to make the installation as clean as possible with that price.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
TBH the crappy fitment of the air foil even shows up on their shop car's demo pictures.
1616256845199.png

If you unbolt the wing off the hatch can the gaps be fixed? If so that would tell me you can correct the problem by reshaping how and where the mounts fit on the trunk. It is much easier to reshape fiberglass and repaint rather than mess with the carbon and risk it fraying.

OP
OP
APanoMKV

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
TBH the crappy fitment of the air foil even shows up on their shop car's demo pictures.
1616256845199.png

If you unbolt the wing off the hatch can the gaps be fixed? If so that would tell me you can correct the problem by reshaping how and where the mounts fit on the trunk. It is much easier to reshape fiberglass and repaint rather than mess with the carbon and risk it fraying.
Wow!

Didn’t notice that until you pointed it out. Seems like the shop I brought mine to made it fit better than the manufacturer was able to lol.
That’s just sad.

Overall unless you stare hard at it, it looks amazing. Once I get a new phone with a better camera I’ll take some shots of the car.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Nothing fits like OEM. aftermarket body parts 99.9% of the time require vast amounts of bodyshop work to fit properly, regardless of part cost.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
You could also pull the air foil off the car. Trace the ends onto a sheet of black neoprene/rubber material and make essentially a gasket that would get pinched or sandwiched when tightened down filling the gap and finishing it up nicely. Many OEM's such as Lexus, BMW and Subaru are already using rubber seals on their side skirts to finish and seal them to the body.

OP
OP
APanoMKV

APanoMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
You could also pull the air foil off the car. Trace the ends onto a sheet of black neoprene/rubber material and make essentially a gasket that would get pinched or sandwiched when tightened down filling the gap and finishing it up nicely. Many OEM's such as Lexus, BMW and Subaru are already using rubber seals on their side skirts to finish and seal them to the body.
I was thinking that as well, if I can’t figure out a way to make it fit better I might just go that route.

sphinx000

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Lexus IS 350 F-sport rwd
I didn't have a problem with fitment but the fact that the screws provided were not rust proof shows the lack of experience in parts development. The screws are rusting and its causing rust water to drip all over the rear after every car wash. It's so annoying!
Sponsored