Supra garage door opener

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
I was easily able to program the Supra Mirror HomeLink to my Lift Master while inside the garage.

However, I've noticed it has horrible range compared to my Mazda, Lexus, and BMW M2 HomeLink.

The Supra has to be right in front of the garage door to open (and even then it takes a couple of pushes to the button to open). All my other cars (previous cars) I can open it from 5 times further away without pushing on the button multiple times.
Super strange. Mine is working conservatively 3 times the distance as my regular remotes, about the same as my wifeā€™s Accord and my Acura MDX did. Iā€™ve been really happy. Wonder if there is another variable at play in your situation.
Sponsored

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I was easily able to program the Supra Mirror HomeLink to my Lift Master while inside the garage.

However, I've noticed it has horrible range compared to my Mazda, Lexus, and BMW M2 HomeLink.

The Supra has to be right in front of the garage door to open (and even then it takes a couple of pushes to the button to open). All my other cars (previous cars) I can open it from 5 times further away without pushing on the button multiple times.
I did a couple of tests on the weekendā€¦ I hit the programmed button about a 100 feet and no clear sight from my garage (another house and vegetation in between). The door was already open by the time i got to my driveway.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I reprogrammed and the range is still not as good as the original Lift Master remote nor my other car with HomeLink. Oh well, i'm not all that worried about as it at least opens.

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve actually been having issues with mine. Itā€™s a Chamberlain and itā€™s like you have to push the button 6 times back to back just to close it. Sometimes at the end of the drive way sometimes right as I pull out. Itā€™s like I need a booster on the garage! I did buy the MyQ so I could use the app an open it even for my brother while Iā€™m on the road trucking, but damn thing took a crap 2 days before I left and didnā€™t have time to go purchase a new one.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I reprogrammed and the range is still not as good as the original Lift Master remote nor my other car with HomeLink. Oh well, i'm not all that worried about as it at least opens.
UPDATE: A family member needed a Garage Door opener so I gave them my working 10+ year old chain driven Chamberalin\LiftMaster opener. I've been wanting a belt driven one for a while now actually. I went ahead and purchased Chamberlin's new quiet belt driven one with built in MyQ

During install, I found out that if you use any regular LED bulb [which is what I had on my old garage opener] for the garage door motor, it can interfere with the remote radio signal.

Garage Tech here. Just had a customer with issues programming their home link with a lift master operator.

Long story short. I took the LED lightbulbs out of the lift master and it resolved the issue.

sounds weird but sometimes LED interferes with RF.
^^ I don't know how I missed this post on page 2, otherwise I would have tried it before taking the entire thing off.

Anyway, for my new opener, since it didn't include any bulbs, I bought (and admittedly an overpriced) GE "Garage" LED Bulb which has some sort of shielding to prevent radio interference.

Two things:
  1. The new Garage Door opener has Security+ 2.0 protocol
  2. I added Garage door specific LED bulbs

Supra Homelink now works like a charm at first push and long distance; so either the new openers security protocol OR me having installed LED bulbs with radio interference shielding on it helped.

So those with issues and have LED bulbs in them, remove the bulb..and if the opener works better (or if programming works) then you know it's the bulb itself.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I use LED bulbs on my 3 MyQ equipped Chamberlains. No problems while using the factory remote. However, I have a bigger problem of keeping my hands out of the cookie jar..

Btw I use my Apple Watch to open close the doors and keep the security button always turned on. The outside keypad opens my neighborā€™s garage door.

jk

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'm going to have to get those expensive bulbs I guess - but I'll test with incandescents first. Mine is same as some... if I'm more than 4 feet from the door... no open ever. Works much better (but still not fantastic) with the other door - the one I don't park in of course. :rolleyes: Will be interesting to see how the Ryobi openers at my other house fair... they have the LED's built in so they'd better not interfere - but then again their remotes suck too so I'm not all that hopeful.

I think having the windshield tinted might affect it a bit also - definitely cuts down on wifi reception while inside the car until I roll down the windows at least and put the phone/tablet near the door. Noticed that when I was coding it.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Very good discovery. I guess that security protocol is newer than my 9-year old LiftMaster. I switched the bulbs to LED years ago and the HomeLik in my Supra works just fine.

I have all windows tinted, including the windshield, and I havenā€˜t noticed any interference with HomeLink or WiFi. BTW, my car is tinted with HĆ¼per Optik i3Ceramic.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very good discovery. I guess that security protocol is newer than my 9-year old LiftMaster. I switched the bulbs to LED years ago and the HomeLik in my Supra works just fine.

I have all windows tinted, including the windshield, and I havenā€˜t noticed any interference with HomeLink or WiFi. BTW, my car is tinted with HĆ¼per Optik i3Ceramic.
I've got XPEL PrimeXR+ ceramic tint on windows (20 on rear/sides and 70 on windshield). It's certainly possible that it has no effect as evidence was purely anecdotal (and with a sample size of one). I showed no Wifi at all until windows were rolled down and then suddenly had full bandwidth afterwards - but it could have caught a polling cycle and been a coincidence.

It's definitely also possible that my opener is just really bad at getting the signal itself - but it works from >100ft with the LiftMaster remote, and not even 10ft with the HomeLink one. However, there are some times that it doesn't work with either until the third or fourth click... so there's some additional factor involved I'm sure.

As far as setting it up and pairing with the openers - that part took less than 5 minutes each I'd guess.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
UPDATE: A family member needed a Garage Door opener so I gave them my working 10+ year old chain driven Chamberalin\LiftMaster opener. I've been wanting a belt driven one for a while now actually. I went ahead and purchased Chamberlin's new quiet belt driven one with built in MyQ

During install, I found out that if you use any regular LED bulb [which is what I had on my old garage opener] for the garage door motor, it can interfere with the remote radio signal.

^^ I don't know how I missed this post on page 2, otherwise I would have tried it before taking the entire thing off.

Anyway, for my new opener, since it didn't include any bulbs, I bought (and admittedly an overpriced) GE "Garage" LED Bulb which has some sort of shielding to prevent radio interference.

Two things:
  1. The new Garage Door opener has Security+ 2.0 protocol
  2. I added Garage door specific LED bulbs

Supra Homelink now works like a charm at first push and long distance; so either the new openers security protocol OR me having installed LED bulbs with radio interference shielding on it helped.

So those with issues and have LED bulbs in them, remove the bulb..and if the opener works better (or if programming works) then you know it's the bulb itself.
Sorry for re-opening an old thread but thanks for the LED info. I had the hardest time trying to figure out why my Supra could open the garage door but couldn't close it. I decided to take out the led on my Chamberlain, and surprise it worked. I went to Lowes and bought some Genie brand bulbs for garages and now I can close the garage door.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I run LED's on my Chamberlain, but you're right, some LED's interfere with the RF.

But these days none of my HomeLink have the garage door programmed. I use my AppleWatch. I personally think it's safer, plus I can open the garage door when I get back from my bicycle riding.. okay tricycle..

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have some confirmation (although not conclusive since there's noise and a small sample set obviously) that my tint was a factor. Had to get my windshield replaced and haven't yet had the windshield re-tinted... and my door now opens from about 50 feet away again. I'm sure it depends on which tint and which opener, etc. but in my case it definitely appears to be a factor.

Not worth living in hell with no windshield tint... but interesting still.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I have some confirmation (although not conclusive since there's noise and a small sample set obviously) that my tint was a factor. Had to get my windshield replaced and haven't yet had the windshield re-tinted... and my door now opens from about 50 feet away again. I'm sure it depends on which tint and which opener, etc. but in my case it definitely appears to be a factor.

Not worth living in hell with no windshield tint... but interesting still.
Metallic based tint will do this (i'm surprised your tint shop didn't warn you about radio interference). Carbon, Ceramic, or Dye based films do not interfere.

ApriCati

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Supra
I watched 3 videos but this is the only one that worked ā€”
Sponsored