Supra vs 86 Compared and Contrasted in TFL Review

Ryco

First Name
Darsiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV Premium & 2014 Scion FRS
I have both and i would say the A90 is way better and more enjoyable. The FRS is just to slow for my liking and just my daily now. I would say driving it hard and the manual gearbox makes it fun when you are coming up on a curve or corner.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't watched the video above, because the factors that make up the right car for, depend on your tastes, and what you want to do with the car. Certain factors are important to most, like reliability. I agree with the idea that much over 300hp is too much for the street. It's easier to agree with that idea, after you've had a number of cars that seem to get from highway cruising speed to triple digits within a few seconds of WOT, and will keep pulling up to 170 or 180mph. Somewhere between 110-120mph, it dawns on me that if I'm unfortunate enough to get clocked at that speed, or faster, I'll get a ride to jail, at a minimum. Get caught racing, or busted in triple digits multiple times, and my license is jerked. I'm 57, and have never been caught going over 100, probably because I'm lucky, I use a radar detector, and I don't spend much time at those speeds on public roads. That's what the track is for. I added tires/wheels/suspension + a header & tune to the little 86, and am looking forward to hitting the track, maybe COTA. The 86 is relatively light at ~2800lbs, and has a lower CG than a Cayman. I can turn traction control either completely off, or almost off., and I didn't have to defeat a bunch of safety systems when I changed suspension & ride height. I have a writable ECU, and zero codes thrown with any of my mods. I could still get in plenty of trouble in the 86, but I can drive it harder, rev it longer, and grab an extra gear or 2 before I hit Ridetojailville speeds. I don't have a rush hour commute (home office), so bumper to bumper traffic isn't a regular issue. Since there is less money tied up in the car, I drive it more than some of the more expensive cars I've had...not really worried as much about putting on miles, or door dings. Last time went went driving on the beach, we took the 86 over my 4WD Tundra. Funny thing is, In the first few months I owned it, at least 3 different people walked up to look at the car and asked if it was a new Supra. The Supra lines reminded me of my 280Z days, which is good. If they offer a manual, I may give the MKV 2L or 3L another look...I have loved straight 6s since my 1st Z car in ~'82.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you want in a car. Both can be fun in their own ways. 86 is a fun car for sure, especially in autox. The car is light and handles beautifully. Supra can be fun if you like new things and more power but don't mind the more hefty build. It should be plenty quick for most people. Both cars are similar but very different in the philosophy, so pick one you prefer.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Depends on what you want in a car. Both can be fun in their own ways. 86 is a fun car for sure, especially in autox. The car is light and handles beautifully. Supra can be fun if you like new things and more power but don't mind the more hefty build. It should be plenty quick for most people. Both cars are similar but very different in the philosophy, so pick one you prefer.
I want Supra 3.0 in 1250kg GT85 body, how? :D

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Went to a trackday last week, of 50 cars tracking, there was at least 10 Frs-brz-86, I think it proves that they are fun to drive!

One very cool thing that I discovered is that the guys can stack a full set of wheels with track tire in their 86 trunks, amazing!

I was the first ever MKV Supra to get on this track (track staff told me...). Itā€™s a small track with tight curves and a few 86 owner told me that power wasnā€™t a factor on that track, and I agreed with them.

After my first session, was pretty much on par with the quickest 86 (on slicks) about a tenth quicker on a 51 second lap. Thatā€™s when I figured out that my suspension was in normal (I configured it that way in the sport individual menu because road are roughs in my area).

2nd session, suspension in sport, lot less body roll, I was a full second faster than any 86, so I think we can say that the Supra handles pretty well. I told the top 86 Ā« Not bad for the Supra on OEM tires at a track where power means nothing as you said Ā»

We were having a good laugh and guys were good sport. I have no doubt they had great fun trying to beat my time! ;)

Last edited:

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went to a trackday last week, of 50 cars tracking, there was at least 10 Frs-brz-86, I think it proves that they are fun to drive!

One very cool thing that I discovered is that the guys can stack a full set of wheels with track tire in their 86 trunks, amazing!

I was the first ever MKV Supra to get on this track (track staff told me...). Itā€™s a small track with tight curves and a few 86 owner told me that power wasnā€™t a factor on that track, and I agreed with them.

After my first session, was pretty much on par with the quickest 86 (on slicks) about a tenth quicker on a 51 second lap. Thatā€™s when I figured out that my suspension was in normal (I configured it that way in the sport individual menu because road are roughs in my area).

2nd session, suspension in sport, lot less body roll, I was a full second faster than any 86, so I think we can say that the Supra handles pretty well. I told the top 86 Ā« Not bad for the Supra on OEM tires at a track where power means nothing as you said Ā»

We were having a good laugh and guys were good sport. I have no doubt they had great fun trying to beat my time! ;)
It's the driver, not the car... ;)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Iā€™ve driven plenty of BRZā€™s and other small sport compacts and the Supra is like those great handling under powered momentum cars except it has real power. That was my conclusion after taking my Supra for a quick spin after break in. I was quite amazed how well the car handled.

SupraMK86

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 3.0 Premium
I owned an FRS for the past 8 years. It's a fun car, but it's disposable and the Subaru engine is a ticking time bomb. I bought both cars new and the first one was lemon-law'd after a timing chain malfunction. The second one had engine out warranty repair at around 20K miles due to VVT solenoid failure and oil leaks. My last FRS had just about every TRD Japan/USA suspension/chassis modification and it still didn't handle as well as the Supra does stock. The FRS/BRZ community is probably the worst part of owning one.

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I owned an FRS for the past 8 years. It's a fun car, but it's disposable and the Subaru engine is a ticking time bomb. I bought both cars new and the first one was lemon-law'd after a timing chain malfunction. The second one had engine out warranty repair at around 20K miles due to VVT solenoid failure and oil leaks. My last FRS had just about every TRD Japan/USA suspension/chassis modification and it still didn't handle as well as the Supra does stock. The FRS/BRZ community is probably the worst part of owning one.
Sounds like you've had some bad luck. Reliability is important to me, which is why I find BMWs reliability, and resale, off-putting, even with better warranty service from Toyota. The 86 has had 8 years for issues to surface and be corrected. Let's see how these 1st & second year BMWs hold up after that long. Your insulting an entire group of owners, including myself, is very ignorant. Your not doing the Supra community any favors with that, and this thread is not about your disdain for "the FRS/BRZ community".

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Sounds like you've had some bad luck. Reliability is important to me, which is why I find BMWs reliability, and resale, off-putting, even with better warranty service from Toyota. The 86 has had 8 years for issues to surface and be corrected. Let's see how these 1st & second year BMWs hold up after that long. Your insulting an entire group of owners, including myself, is very ignorant. Your not doing the Supra community any favors with that, and this thread is not about your disdain for "the FRS/BRZ community".
He is right, 86 engine is a ticking bomb. They are able to blow even driving normally on highway. On the other hand this inline 6 from BMW is bulletproof unless u push it very hard with tuning. I will take this engine over this Subaru crap any day of the week. Sure, the electronic gremlins on BMW's are common, but B58 is not N54 as an overall reliablity.
And relialbity is what stops me from buying new GR86, since its Subaru all over again = problems are a matter of time.
I'd have 86 chasiss with Supra engine if I could.
Sponsored