NA: $43,976
TT: $59,479

1998 MSRP
NA: $31,078
TT: $40,508

Inflation
NA: $45,618
TT: $59,460

It does look a little chubby but possibly b/c the FT-1 was so long we're used to seeing its design stretched out on the concept. I still dig it and would buy this in a heartbeat if Toyota makes it look like this. Something tells me the front end won't be so radical tho.
Agreed, and I think the angle of the photo plays a role too. As well as the nose / overhang on the concept giving it a longer appearance.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
Blogs and auto news are reporting that the new Supra will have Toyotas new twin turbo v6 seen in the new Lexus LS. I wouldn't mind, honestly. Makes the car reliable. Lol
If it's good enough for a Lexus LS, it's good enough for me :)

I think I'd be fine with a 50k - 60k price tag. Sure it's expnsive and it puts it right around a RC350 but it comes in under a RCF and it's going to be the performance driver's version of that car with a manual?

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
These renders make me hopeful again. I haven't seen any renders that really looked good, or even looked like the test cars, but this seems accurate and I would definitely buy.... with a manual transmission.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase

I think I'd be fine with a 50k - 60k price tag. Sure it's expnsive and it puts it right around a RC350 but it comes in under a RCF and it's going to be the performance driver's version of that car with a manual?
Dual clutch and manual should be available. Hopefully Toyota and BMW don't go for the whole emissions excuse and ditch manual but I doubt that. However, i wouldn't mind a dual clutch tranny either. :fear:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS

...but logically would it make sense for Toyota/Lexus to put the 3.5 TT into the Supra and price it close to (or less than) the RC F? Sure the Supra and RC F technically shouldn't fall in the same class, but I would think some potential RC F buyers will be turned off to the fact that the most advanced powertrain to come out of Toyota/Lexus in a long time is placed in this Supra..

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Dual clutch and manual should be available. Hopefully Toyota and BMW don't go for the whole emissions excuse and ditch manual but I doubt that. However, i wouldn't mind a dual clutch tranny either. :fear:
I wouldn't count on it..the problem isn't emissions (especially for Toyota who has the best overall emissions & fuel efficiency ratings)...it is us, the consumers, as not enough people buy them any longer. The 86/BRZ is one of the few cars that have more manual buyers than auto but it still ain't like the 90s...the majority of people bought a manual 1st gen NSX yet Honda made the 2nd gen exclusively with an auto and so did Nissan with the GTR and the new Q60.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't count on it..the problem isn't emissions (especially for Toyota who has the best overall emissions & fuel efficiency ratings)...it is us, the consumers, as not enough people buy them any longer. The 86/BRZ is one of the few cars that have more manual buyers than auto but it still ain't like the 90s...the majority of people bought a manual 1st gen NSX yet Honda made the 2nd gen exclusively with an auto and so did Nissan with the GTR and the new Q60.
Bought 2015 Frs in manual and they told me that people are still opting out for the auto but therecent updated frs, the manual got five more horsepower while the auto remained with the same HP as before. Sales tanked and barely anyone is buying the twins, sadly.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Bought 2015 Frs in manual and they told me that people are still opting out for the auto but therecent updated frs, the manual got five more horsepower while the auto remained with the same HP as before. Sales tanked and barely anyone is buying the twins, sadly.
yea, well sales were naturally going to tank, it was a dead segment to begin with yet they still did a lot better than expected..sold more than the S2000 did in 10+ years..I admittedly got an auto frs first and then after it got totaled i picked up the manual one, I like them both. The auto is underrated just like the auto in the mk4 supra but obviously the manual is for sure a totally different experience and toyota/subaru did an ok job with this one though I still prefer most honda/mazda gearboxes a bit more to this one which has always felt a little clunky while it is warming up.

toyota has made enough money to fund the 86 project for at least one more generation, and so far toyota & subaru both have said they are on board. i think for our frs's generation we won't see any major powerplant updates, which personally i could care less..the fa20 is a solid engine, dont care if it is "slow"..

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
...but logically would it make sense for Toyota/Lexus to put the 3.5 TT into the Supra and price it close to (or less than) the RC F? Sure the Supra and RC F technically shouldn't fall in the same class, but I would think some potential RC F buyers will be turned off to the fact that the most advanced powertrain to come out of Toyota/Lexus in a long time is placed in this Supra..
I think that Lexus should stick to luxury cars and let the new Supra be the faster sports car. When I think Lexus .... a sports car does not come to mind.

Mhopkins0819

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Mazda Speed 3, second gen eclipse
I think the biggest difference is the FT-1 is much more swoopy and the intakes gape a lot more than the renderings. It's entirely possible those are just fake camo bumpers and they could add these wild intakes but only time will tell.

FTreal2.jpg
supra-white.jpg
I like the v shape of the grill on the ft1 versus the prototype x shaped bumper...but it might change like you said. I'm sure this car will have a ton of after market support to style it to your liking just like the 86 did.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I think that Lexus should stick to luxury cars and let the new Supra be the faster sports car. When I think Lexus .... a sports car does not come to mind.
meh, sure they aren't BMW but you've been living in a hole if you feel that way because they ain't buick or caddy..they've had the sc, LFA, isf, rcf & gsf..solid performance lineup so far. lexus sure isn't focused on performance but luxury & performance have become so intertwined after the 90s that every luxury maker uses their lineup to showcase new engine technologies which people have come to expect..so any blemishes with slower 0-60 times & torque/hp figures gets ridiculed by auto journalists..

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
meh, sure they aren't BMW but you've been living in a hole if you feel that way because they ain't buick or caddy..they've had the sc, LFA, isf, rcf & gsf..solid performance lineup so far. lexus sure isn't focused on performance but luxury & performance have become so intertwined after the 90s that every luxury maker uses their lineup to showcase new engine technologies which people have come to expect..so any blemishes with slower 0-60 times & torque/hp figures gets ridiculed by auto journalists..

Nope. Not living in a hole. Yes ... every luxury car maker likes to dip their toes into the sport car segment to augment sales. All that I am saying is that I would hope that the Supra would be at the top of the Toyota/Lexus sport car food chain. Light weight and powerful. No unnecessary luxury (read: Lexus) items that add unnecessary weight.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Nope. Not living in a hole. Yes ... every luxury car maker likes to dip their toes into the sport car segment to augment sales. All that I am saying is that I would hope that the Supra would be at the top of the Toyota/Lexus sport car food chain. Light weight and powerful. No unnecessary luxury (read: Lexus) items that add unnecessary weight.
I'm not specifically talking about sports cars, just any vehicle that also focuses on higher performance..Lexus has had several great V8s thus far and this 3.5 TT will be in the new Lexus LS so you see how there is some overlap..if the Supra uses the 3.5 TT there will undoubtedly be some contention with the RC F and LC 500...journalists already point out how so many less expensive vehicles are faster than the RC F so I'm not sure Toyota will want to indulge them more..

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not specifically talking about sports cars, just any vehicle that also focuses on higher performance..Lexus has had several great V8s thus far and this 3.5 TT will be in the new Lexus LS so you see how there is some overlap..if the Supra uses the 3.5 TT there will undoubtedly be some contention with the RC F and LC 500...journalists already point out how so many less expensive vehicles are faster than the RC F so I'm not sure Toyota will want to indulge them more..
I agree. btw: my last car was a 2013 FR-S Firestorm Red. 6 Manual. Ordered new in 2012. It's gone now. Loved that car, but am really excited about the new Supra.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I agree. btw: my last car was a 2013 FR-S Firestorm Red. 6 Manual. Ordered new in 2012. It's gone now. Loved that car, but am really excited about the new Supra.
shoulda kept her so you can build the real supra successor yourself by throwing a 2jz in there after this new "supra" disappoints us :headbang:lol i am happy to be blown away/wrong about this whole BMW/Toyota project so I'm holding my breath..still not happy that toyota spends their own time and money to make the LC 500 (and potentially LC F) as amazing as they are but yet they want to save money on their halo car by paying a rival to give us a watered down body kit on a german car
Sponsored