SupraMKV's Latest Toyota Supra Renderings With Production Wheels and Bits

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
^^^^^^ Looks like my idea of engine appearance is different. Give me some satin finished aluminum valve covers. The new 86 red intakes look good. Some cool turbo plumbing. Add a little color.

I see no reason to have a clear glass hood window only to see a flat piece of plastic engine covering. I would be surprised if the clear engine window makes it to production. Just adds more unnecessary weight.
eh I've always felt that weight is overrated for this class at least when we look at the first 3 gens of the Supra. The $50-80 K range is supposed to be either great handling + adequate power or great power + adequate handling so I would be cool with a little more weight to get those cool features...the C6 ZR1 has a clear hood though admittedly you just see the supercharger..

chevy_corvette_zr1_hood.jpg

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Going back to the proportion chat for a minute. Its an older article, but it seems they just made the concept longer and wider to get more attention at the auto show.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140813/BLOG06/140819956/toyota-redresses-ft-1-concept
ya well that is old news now... I don't have a problem with concepts being larger to be more striking but the issue is how they transplant such details onto a production car...normally designers will adjust all the proportions together but the FT1 was a facade because we ain't getting any similar proportions just some similar body lines..I can't remember the last time I've seen a concept designed around a 2+2 only to be changed into a 2 seater...the mules to me look tall and they don't capture the sleekness the FT1 had.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would rather a matching color hood. If they do decide to go with the clear hood, maybe offer it with the top model as an option. I think the clear engine cover looks best on mid engine/exotic cars.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I would rather a matching color hood. If they do decide to go with the clear hood, maybe offer it with the top model as an option. I think the clear engine cover looks best on mid engine/exotic cars.
it would be another facepalm moment if it doesn't become an option...we are already getting a watered down FT1 so why kill off any remaining standout design cues?

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Lexus also covers up a lot of the engine as well
don't think a luxury brand is good to compare with as most of their customers don't look under the hood. BMW is a bit of a mismatch since they should be a brand about drivers but they are really just a luxury company that has benefited from their history and people's perception which has resulted in customers that don't look under their hood either..

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
^i look under my hood :p

moving on i do like the transparent hood and i hope they do keep the design. i dont like the one on the ZR1, its just too small for my taste. Jay Leno said the same when the concept visited him.

Reactions: HKz

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
^i look under my hood :p

moving on i do like the transparent hood and i hope they do keep the design. i dont like the one on the ZR1, its just too small for my taste. Jay Leno said the same when the concept visited him.
the zr1's is indeed small but i still think it is a nice detail especially when no one does it for cars with front engines.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Hopefully not. Toyota's recent track record when it comes to bringing concept styling to production car has been pretty good IMO.

The production Lexus LC stayed very faithful to the concept car and the production FR-S stayed pretty close to the concept also.

carpixel-net-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-3745-hd-jpg.jpg

2013-scion-fr-s-626x349-jpg.jpg
there are quite a few changes if you compared it too the original concept. i hope we will get a better idea of the design with the new concept that is rumored for Tokyo.

01-ft-86-studio.jpg

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
there are quite a few changes if you compared it too the original concept. i hope we will get a better idea of the design with the new concept that is rumored for Tokyo.

01-ft-86-studio.jpg
yes there were some changes but the overall design has stayed true to the concept...door mounted mirrors (though it is interesting the scion concept had it mounted to the windows), 2+2, 2000GT window kink, main grill shape, angular headlights, and most of the body lines were retained on the production. both concepts looked unfinished so I've always been pleased with the way the 86 looks...though it is sad that the brake lights for the us models get a stupid reflector patch on the sides instead of the true altezza look everyone else in the world gets.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
So ... who wants to throw out a reasonable guess as to when we'll see the actual car?
l

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
it would be another facepalm moment if it doesn't become an option...we are already getting a watered down FT1 so why kill off any remaining standout design cues?
The FT1, while I'd love to have a production version, would have easily been a $100-150k car. I'm happy to see as much of it carried over as we do see so far because I didn't even expect that much. Personally, I hope they don't have a clear hood because it seems kind of cheesy to me.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
yes there were some changes but the overall design has stayed true to the concept...door mounted mirrors (though it is interesting the scion concept had it mounted to the windows), 2+2, 2000GT window kink, main grill shape, angular headlights, and most of the body lines were retained on the production. both concepts looked unfinished so I've always been pleased with the way the 86 looks...though it is sad that the brake lights for the us models get a stupid reflector patch on the sides instead of the true altezza look everyone else in the world gets.
i never really noticed that until you pointed it out. i would agreed, it did stay true to the concept in that sense. i was a little disappointed in how the 2000GT inspired a pillars didnt make it. and how the air vents on the fenders were replaced with the fake ones featuring the 86 logo. a lot of people thought it looked a little tacky. and the taillights on all of the concepts looked pretty cool, but the final one looked to Z4ish to me. dont get me wrong there are changes i did like. it was nice how they made the quarter panel more curvy and round. i also liked how they raised the height of the hood and fenders and gave it more of a smooth round look. the original concept i thought looked a little too sharp and edgy, it reminded me too much of the FTHS. overall it was a good concept to production translation.

The FT1, while I'd love to have a production version, would have easily been a $100-150k car. I'm happy to see as much of it carried over as we do see so far because I didn't even expect that much. Personally, I hope they don't have a clear hood because it seems kind of cheesy to me.
i think it looks cheesy on the ZR1 because it was so small. however i like the size and the look on the FT1.

Reactions: HKz

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
why that expensive? the lotus evora and alfa 4c are both stylized quite dramatically and don't cost that much. but even if the supra was priced like that i wouldn't blame them or be upset, nissan and honda went that route..plus if they went that route at least no one would probably complain about its speed.

to each his own on the aesthetics part, i just hope it at least becomes an option considering how much already seems watered down
Sponsored