First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hi all,

Looking for some honest input from those driving MT Supras—

How are you liking the feel? I mean the clutch pedal feel/engagement. I am having a heck of a time learning to love it. It is very early and there are many miles to go but it’s been a slower “love” than expected.

What’s everyone’s take?

That said -love the car. love the overall feel. love it all (other than the relatively small size but that’s a me problem, not a car problem).
Sponsored

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
I really like the clutch feel. Take up is very linear, and I felt comfortable with it after just a few minutes. I was coming from a ‘21 GLI (good), and before that a Civic Si (good), WRX (crap), Focus ST (good), Mazdaspeed 3 (fair), and GTI (good). I’d call the Supra as good as any of these, if not better.

just one person’s opinion, but I’ve been driving a manual for >50 years.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an AT owner but i've gotten a chance to get a good drive out of the manual Supra.. i've driven MANY manual cars before, so this is my perspective..

the manual supra is an absolute dream to drive, it's a vanity honestly. But it doesn't compare to other manual cars... the clutch feels spongy in my honest opinion. It doesn't feel like a sports car where the clutch is a tad more heavier and a little more reactive to your fuck ups if you release the clutch without fluidity. I understand why it was engineered like that though, not everyone buying the car wants a raw car.

second of all, when it comes to "drag race" type of driving, the clutch and shifter does not feel suitable for that type of driving... my foot released off the pedal faster than the clutch can fully disengage and return to the top... the shifter feels like any other manual BMW, no surprise there.. i honestly feel like i could break the shifter cage assembly after a few runs down the strip.

third, the car feels numb, when the car is breaking traction, you really don't feel it. When the hooks up though, it's pretty damn fast for a stock Supra. It impressed me and caught me by surprise.

overall, do i think it is a good car? Yes, it really fits into the line up perfectly and satisfies those who crave the "ultimate enthusiast" experience.. is there some things i wish that would be changed? Yes, mainly just the car not feeling soo fragile, and it would be perfect. Would i trade my car in? No, but if i could, i'd get a manual Supra on the side to drive around along with my '20.

P.S- this doesn't take away from it being an amazing car to drive, it does feel good and satisfies that feeling we all have. But i just feel like the car is too fragile for hardcore hardcore driving..

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I've been driving manual about 20 years now and always owned Hondas:
'93 V-Tec Prelude
'01 Acura GSR
'06 Civic Si
Honda manual transmissions are one of Thee smoothest, easiest, notchy and excellent pedal feel/engagement.

Took a while for me to get used to the Supra and I think its the technology. 2nd gear was kinda weird and jerky at first until I adjusted how and where I released the clutched. It just wants to go go go, i mean even if you try to drive slow and shift early there's a weird surge I can't explain unless you own one and drive it enough. Driving it fast and rowing through the gears feels so smooth and effortless.

Besides the learning curve, I'm loving it! From the notchy shifter to the way the clutch grabs and goes. It even has a hill assist feature when getting off first gear that I barely learned how to use its pretty dope!

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT CU Later Grey
Took a while for me to get used to the Supra and I think its the technology. 2nd gear was kinda weird and jerky at first until I adjusted how and where I released the clutched. It just wants to go go go, i mean even if you try to drive slow and shift early there's a weird surge I can't explain unless you own one and drive it enough. Driving it fast and rowing through the gears feels so smooth and effortless.
I’m still working through learning 2nd gear. Agree that it’s all nice and smooth when you’re opening things up a bit. The car definitely prefers the ‘go, go, go’ over slow acceleration and shifting.

OP
OP

Adrenaldestruction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I'm an AT owner but i've gotten a chance to get a good drive out of the manual Supra.. i've driven MANY manual cars before, so this is my perspective..

the manual supra is an absolute dream to drive, it's a vanity honestly. But it doesn't compare to other manual cars... the clutch feels spongy in my honest opinion. It doesn't feel like a sports car where the clutch is a tad more heavier and a little more reactive to your fuck ups if you release the clutch without fluidity. I understand why it was engineered like that though, not everyone buying the car wants a raw car.

second of all, when it comes to "drag race" type of driving, the clutch and shifter does not feel suitable for that type of driving... my foot released off the pedal faster than the clutch can fully disengage and return to the top... the shifter feels like any other manual BMW, no surprise there.. i honestly feel like i could break the shifter cage assembly after a few runs down the strip.

third, the car feels numb, when the car is breaking traction, you really don't feel it. When the hooks up though, it's pretty damn fast for a stock Supra. It impressed me and caught me by surprise.

overall, do i think it is a good car? Yes, it really fits into the line up perfectly and satisfies those who crave the "ultimate enthusiast" experience.. is there some things i wish that would be changed? Yes, mainly just the car not feeling soo fragile, and it would be perfect. Would i trade my car in? No, but if i could, i'd get a manual Supra on the side to drive around along with my '20.

P.S- this doesn't take away from it being an amazing car to drive, it does feel good and satisfies that feeling we all have. But i just feel like the car is too fragile for hardcore hardcore driving..
I think you’ve captured most of my feelings with what you’ve said. Spot on.

And to reiterate - I bring this up for conversation sake. We would not own these cars and love driving them if they weren’t great; it is just requiring some effort to love the clutch (as compared to others. subjectively. yada yada.)

@RyanA90 — agreed on the Honda statement. S2000 gearbox is an absolute treat!

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
@RyanA90 — agreed on the Honda statement. S2000 gearbox is an absolute treat!
The S2k and Integra Type R have my two favorite transmissions. Best ever. The ITR has actual linkage connecting the shifter to the trans. No cables = extremely responsive and feels perfect.
I'm not sure how the S2k does it, I've never owned one so haven't been able to dive into it.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT CU Later Grey
I learned stick on an S2000 as a teen. Spoiled me for manuals after. It’s been a decade since driving the S2000, but the Supra feels the closest I’ve been to it since.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Took me a few drives to like it and get good with it, first drive I was actually really worried and having some buyers remorse but now I’m absolutely in love with it, better then the g80 manual I drive a lot, and a whole heck of a lot better then any f series m cars. Those are just rubber with no clutch feel. It’s not a CTR or any old Honda and it’s not a manual gt3 but it’s really good, I do think it’s better with the auto rev match on, I know how to do it but this car seems a little laggy when I try to manually rev match, heavy flywheel probably, so I just keep it on and sound like I’m a pro 🤓

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
Is there by chance any assist springs in the clutch pedal that can be removed for a better feeling like the 86?

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to hear a comparison to the v160.
The v160 shifter cage definitely takes a little more muscle to shift as far as i can remember. The last 6spd mkiv i've driven took a little more muscle to get into gears than the 6spd mkv, but it definitely feels waaaay durable for hard driving. Same with the R34 GTR's getrag, almost the same feeling, just a taller shifter than the mkiv.
Sponsored