The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
A70 do you know anything about the RCF GT that was recently spied?

TMC is about to put out some serious coupe between now and 2020...RCF GT, SUPRA, LCF
Sponsored

waleed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 IS 350 F-Sport, '14 Accord Coupe V6
Hello A70! Firstly, I would like to thank you for all the insights and information you cared to share.
My question for you (assuming you work with Lexus now) is that why didn't Lexus choose to build the 3rd Gen IS-F along with the RC-F? They had the hardware and the GSE31 chassis can definitely handle 400ish HP. IMO, they would have sold more IS-F's than RC-F's (at least in my region). IS is lighter, cheaper, more practical and looks better (to me :p)

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Welcome! :)

Without getting into the convoluted bs that is model hierarchy, basically they discontinued the IS-F due to sales and because they were developing the GS-F.

That said, the RC-F sales are pretty bad, and it's really just a by product of engineering a convertible when all the dealers wanted a 3 row crossover. So they threw a hardtop on it and figured they would make some money back on it, but that's arguably not been a great idea IMO.

I agree with bringing the IS-F back, but it is unlikely to return afaik.

tarpatel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my mom's camry
A70TTR, i was in disbelief when Tada said market research said MKV buyers don't care about manual. I'm paraphrasing. But anyway, is this him just towing the party line because I just think that is BS. reminds me of a quote by one of those Greek philosophers : "Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true."

What I wouldn't give for a 2UR engine manual car...if I win the lottery that will be on the list of things to get one way or another.

After I buy the nicest driver's NSX and MKIV I can find.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's a true statement based on research in this case, but the caveat is that it wasn't that the people polled didn't care about manual, it was that there were more important items requested with that one being nowhere near the top of the list.

But to illustrate the target market, the Corvette buyer split from auto to manual is 70% to 30%.

I think it would still be beneficial to offer manual, but it's a moot point now.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
What I wouldn't give for a 2UR engine manual car...
I'll do you one better, 3UR swapped 86 with a manual transmission.

0c052a83eb75146b26677ae628f23d64.jpg

Sorry about hijacking the thread :hide:

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Hey @A70TTR,

Quick question. A friend of mine who is a BMW tech mentioned to me quite a few years ago (even before the BMW/Toyota partnership came into being) that BMW had a hand in the development of the JZ engine. I was browsing the Supra thread over at 6post and coincidentally saw someone mention the same thing. Is there any truth to this? I always dismissed it, but just out of curiosity, could there be any truth there?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @A70TTR,

Quick question. A friend of mine who is a BMW tech mentioned to me quite a few years ago (even before the BMW/Toyota partnership came into being) that BMW had a hand in the development of the JZ engine. I was browsing the Supra thread over at 6post and coincidentally saw someone mention the same thing. Is there any truth to this? I always dismissed it, but just out of curiosity, could there be any truth there?
It is false, we discussed this in another thread a while back. Some people claim BMW, some people claim Mercedes, some people claimed a third party German builder, all of it is incorrect.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
hey A70, a while back it was said the production car would have bulky,triangular mirrors,
PdU2BbHYwF (1).png
so kinda like the RCF mirrors?

tarpatel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my mom's camry
Here is another question for you @A70TTR,

Every single dang time I see GRMN my mind thinks Garmin. Mainly because that is Garmin's ticker symbol on the exchange. My buddy at work who is a gear head but not a Toyota fan thought it was some tie in to have some double meaning for German for obvious reasons.

Any insight into how Toyota is going to introduce Gazoo Racing to American audiences?

why not use the more recognizable TRD?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Using the TRD brand is the preferred method for Toyota USA executives, but ultimately if Akio says it's going to be Gazoo 100% then they have to go with it. I feel that is unlikely though given the autonomy many parts of the company have and the respect given to that and their individual opinions.

If Gazoo does end up being used, it will likely just be 'GR' with no emphasis or explanation relating to Gazoo.
Sponsored