Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.caradvice.com.au/686651/2019-toyota-supra-pricing-speculation/

'Pricing is not finalised and it's going to be market dependent.'

The global launch won't happen until early 2019, and an Australian debut won't occur until the second half of 2019, but Toyota has confirmed the Supra won't be a bargain like the 86, but should still be affordable.

Speaking with media at the global first drive of the all-new Toyota Supra, Vincent Dewaersegger, senior manager of product communication at Toyota Europe, was confident pricing will be appealing.

"Pricing is not finalised and it's going to be market dependent. Of course it will be below a Porschebecause Toyota is a mainstream brand, but the final price will depend on every market and the competitive set," Dewaersegger said.

"To be honest, it's not finalised. Although it's going to not be a cheap car, we want to make it affordable. Our target is not to make it so high that nobody buys it, that's not our intention. The sweet spot, we are now finding that sweet spot," he went on.

It's easy to speculate on where pricing will sit, but it'll be hard to nail down an exact figure until closer to launch. To add complexity to the pricing question, Toyota will offer the Supra with a number of ride and handling configurations. That could mean a variation of $5000 or $10,000 between base variants and top-specification cars.

"There will be some difference in terms of specification depending on the market. We can standardise the active suspension, active differential. It is a market-by-market discussion. But in Europe there will be several specifications."
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Well, at least they're talking about the active suspension now :)

At least Europe and Japan will have options. I have far less of a good feeling about NA cars.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Well, at least they're talking about the active suspension now :)

At least Europe and Japan will have options. I have far less of a good feeling about NA cars.
What does that mean? All of it will be standard and not optional?

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
We only need 2 options, a bare bones model and a full catalog model. Then customers can modify from there via aftermarket.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What does that mean? All of it will be standard and not optional?
That is my fear, but we shall see what they do. I don't have concrete information on trims for the US and very little for Europe, but I know what Japan is getting and it's just another reason I'm going to buy mine there (same story different day; they always do the cool stuff overseas).

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is my fear, but we shall see what they do. I don't have concrete information on trims for the US and very little for Europe, but I know what Japan is getting and it's just another reason I'm going to buy mine there.
Why does Toyota keep dangling that manual option. Either itā€™s a no or yes. Why canā€™t they just be concrete on that at least.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
By active suspension, are they speaking of just a sport and comfort dampening setting/button?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you ready for that import tax? :)
Meh.. Iā€™d only have to worry about import tax if Iā€™m looking to buy this car. Besides it being a rebadged BMW with Toyota suspension tweaks.. they donā€™t even offer a manual. And they are even afraid to announce they wonā€™t make a manual for some reason.

Iā€™m all about Murcia.. hehe Viper, Z06 and a Shelby. V10, supercharged V8 and a FPC V8 ... all with manuals ready and waiting for me in my garage. :)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why does Toyota keep dangling that manual option. Either itā€™s a no or yes. Why canā€™t they just be concrete on that at least.
I actually commented on this in another thread a moment ago and deleted it, but it has to do with the Japanese preferring to not give affirmative answers and/or statement that will incite conflict. Add to this that Toyota is a Japanese company, and nearly everything they say starts and ends with something like, we are not completely opposed to this and that. That really just means anything is possible (even if it's 1%), which is a foregone conclusion for most of us. They aren't actually commenting saying something could easily or will likely be a reality.

A western representative on the other hand, working at say Ford, would be far more likely to say 'this is a no go' instead of beating around the bush about it.

That difference in speech can really throws folks off.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually commented on this in another thread a moment ago and deleted it, but it has to do with the Japanese preferring to not give affirmative answers and/or statement that will incite conflict. Add to this that Toyota is a Japanese company, and nearly everything they say starts and ends with something like, we are not completely opposed to this and that. That really just means anything is possible (even if it's 1%), which is a foregone conclusion for most of us. They aren't actually commenting saying something could easily or will likely be a reality.

A western representative on the other hand, working at say Ford, would be far more likely to say 'this is a no go' instead of beating around the bush about it.

I see that.. they just donā€™t want to commit or say.. no. Such wish washy people.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
That is my fear, but we shall see what they do. I don't have concrete information on trims for the US and very little for Europe, but I know what Japan is getting and it's just another reason I'm going to buy mine there (same story different day; they always do the cool stuff overseas).
Are you going to import it here to the USA? File "substantially similar" clause?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I see that.. they just donā€™t want to commit or say.. no. Such wish washy people.
Yeah, it took me quite some time to get used to that and some other idiosyncrasies they have.

Are you going to import it here to the USA? File "substantially similar" clause?
Nah, I have no plans for that, plus I'd still have to contend with the 25yr rule/EPA afaik

ecae

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND Miata
https://jalopnik.com/2019-toyota-supra-the-king-is-back-and-good-enough-to-1829117407

Jalop is saying $65K. IMO that's a tad too much. $55K would've been a good start to undercut the 718 Cayman PDK which starts at $60K. We know the supra will have more options and is probably faster(although 718 pdk non-s launch is 3.9 according to C&D), they need to price this competitively to attract corvette, base 718 and M2 buyers.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

this is Mazda to the core
Sponsored