This is the 2020 mid-engine Chevy Corvette / C8 Corvette Z06 revealed

JDM BLKBMW

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition Black, Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400R
The LT4 engine in the C7Z06 is the same engine in the Camaro ZL1, and specifically the ZL1 1LE. The Camaro ZL1 1LE was the fastest GM production car around the Nurb Ring back in 2018. I am not sure if that changed or not. To my knowledge the ZL1 1LE never had cooling issues. It was a purpose built variant of the Camaro ZL1, for track use. Same engine without cooling issues. If I am not mistaken it had 10 or 11 coolers. They introduced the 10 speed Auto in the ZL1 1LE, and took it up a notch even more. The LT4 is a good engine for track use, but you must have enough frontal area to get enough cooling, or the ECU will pull timing to keep the engine intact. The NA versions of the engines also do this too, just not as drastic a reduction in power per degree C.

Based on the video they wanted a NA motor due to better throttle response and more linear/tractable power band. Any 650 ft/lb forced induction motor without traction management is going to be a handful, if you dont have a very well calibrated right foot.

Back on topic.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
The LT4 engine in the C7Z06 is the same engine in the Camaro ZL1, and specifically the ZL1 1LE. The Camaro ZL1 1LE was the fastest GM production car around the Nurb Ring back in 2018. I am not sure if that changed or not. To my knowledge the ZL1 1LE never had cooling issues. It was a purpose built variant of the Camaro ZL1, for track use. Same engine without cooling issues. If I am not mistaken it had 10 or 11 coolers. They introduced the 10 speed Auto in the ZL1 1LE, and took it up a notch even more. The LT4 is a good engine for track use, but you must have enough frontal area to get enough cooling, or the ECU will pull timing to keep the engine intact. The NA versions of the engines also do this too, just not as drastic a reduction in power per degree C.

Based on the video they wanted a NA motor due to better throttle response and more linear/tractable power band. Any 650 ft/lb forced induction motor without traction management is going to be a handful, if you dont have a very well calibrated right foot.

Back on topic.
you are correct GM added tons of coolers to the Camaro Lt4 variants. There is an interview with Tadge and clearly lots of reasons for going NA on the C8 Z, but cooling was one of the reasons he wanted NA. As he said he wants the last lap to be as fast or faster than the first. Perhaps adding lots of cooling for a midengine V8 would have been more challenging than the Camaro.

Im still somewhat blown away that GM went bespoke FPC for just the Corvette. The engine will be hand built in BowlING Green and they hinted the engine will only be used for Corvette (at least for now).

I really hope it proves to liable for track.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Recently ordered a 2023 C8 about a month ago...

Corvette coupe natural.jpg

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting to get called to order my Z06
What Dealership did put yourself on the waitlist? I'm on MacMulkin's list...

I hear Z06 ordering isn't going to start until sometime late summer?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You guys arent getting a Z06 any time soon. The first years allotment is already spoken for and you had to be on a very special list to get one. Going to be at least 2 years before the general public will be able to get their hands on one.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys arent getting a Z06 any time soon. The first years allotment is already spoken for and you had to be on a very special list to get one. Going to be at least 2 years before the general public will be able to get their hands on one.
I personally am not looking nor interested in purchasing a Z06...I saw on our Corvette forum some are talking 2~3 year waits for the Z06! Hell if you want to purchase a Stingray (@ MSRP) it's still a 10~12 month wait!

In the mean time, 2.5 years later I'm still enjoying the Supra!
Sponsored