Tint or No Tint

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
True but have you ever stripped window tint off? I have. It makes a huge mess. I just wouldn’t put my interior through that. I can see for a daily driver with tint but not for a weekend warrior.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Tint shops can usually remove tint with very little mess (steamer), but during installation they use very liberal amounts of slip solution which is kind of a turn off..

My tint guy is very good at his craft and I've never had electrical problems on any of my cars he's done, but each time I kind of cringe..

OP
OP
Raskita

Raskita

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M235I, Z4, Fj Cruiser, Clarity, Highlander, Supra
Decided to jump the gun and tint it tomorrow hehe. Not worried about having to remove the tint later on. In my ownership of cars never really had to go through that issue. Really like seeing the interior, but if I had the LE red interior instead I would have most likely not tint it. I do worry about the higher chance of getting pulled over here in Cali for the tint then the add on no plates then possibly a ref for my catless exhaust.

OP
OP
Raskita

Raskita

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tint just to keep heat out. Once you have it, you wonder why you went so long without it.
You sir was right!Just got it back. Looks sooooo much better. What was I thinking holding it off lol

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I do worry about the higher chance of getting pulled over here in Cali for the tint
Per top hit on Google search:

"The 2020 California window tint laws requirements are for the front windshield and front side windows to have a 70% VLT."

You can meet that requirement if you use 3M Crystalline or Hüper Optik ceramic film. As I mentioned before, I've had both and I recommend Hüper Optik. This might give you an idea of the various options:

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/automotive/interactive-demo/

I've previously done 30% for the rear and quarter windows, 50% for sides, and 70% for the windshield. Heat reduction is quite noticeable, and of course, there's the benefit of 99.9% UV rejection. Driver and passenger are clearly visible with that combo and I've never had any issues with CHP stopping me. Visibility from inside is still good, even at night. For the Supra I think I am going to do 40% for sides and 60% for the windshield (visibility is still good).

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I had the windshield done in my GT350. When it got smashed by a falling tree branch and the windshield was replaced I didn't realize how much my vision had been distorted by the tint. I'll never tint the windshield again.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I had the windshield done in my GT350. When it got smashed by a falling tree branch and the windshield was replaced I didn't realize how much my vision had been distorted by the tint. I'll never tint the windshield again.
yeah man. I agree!! ^^

Houston-MkV

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I have been going to the same tint place for 5 cars now. Never a problem and if applied correctly it shouldn't bubble. I always get the ceramic tint from LLumar. If you are in Houston, I would definitely look at Royz Window tint.

glennQNYC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Vehicle Showcase
May I suggest a very light tint? I have 3m Crystalline CR70 (70%) on my gray-on-black 3 Series and I personally love the subtle look and of course the heat rejection properties of the film.

The image attached has the sun shining into the windshield and the sunroof shade is open. A Supra with black interior (and no sunroof) would look darker.

92F33C6F-8708-4CEA-87FD-9B07435E591D.jpeg

HaiFrends

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 GR Supra Nocturnal Black
did anyone's come tinted from the dealership? mine isn't very dark, but it's definitely tinted. I sort of want to go darker being in florida and all.

OP
OP
Raskita

Raskita

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
did anyone's come tinted from the dealership? mine isn't very dark, but it's definitely tinted. I sort of want to go darker being in florida and all.
Nope, purchased mine and was clear as day.

OP
OP
Raskita

Raskita

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ended up with 20% ceramic tint all around. Love it. Completes the black trims better compared to no tint.

20200718_112134.jpg
Sponsored