Tow hook plate holder

Mattyb

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra
Hi guys, first post here so sorry if this has already been answered (could you point me in the right direction ?)

I’ve just picked up a new Supra and the dealer was good enough to not stick the plate on the bumper. I think it looks better to the side.

I picked up a plate holder on eBay which I thought would work but the tow eye thread on the holder is too small.

Anyone know where to get a good plate holder here in the UK without going through trial and error? (Plus extortionate shipping fees from the US)

If not then anyone know the thread size for the tow hook so I can make one out of some threaded bar!
Sponsored

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
This could work. The one I bought is no longer available but this looks pretty much the same. The BMW F-Series fitment fits perfectly in the tow hook hole.

OP
OP

Mattyb

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra
This could work. The one I bought is no longer available but this looks pretty much the same. The BMW F-Series fitment fits perfectly in the tow hook hole.
That’s pretty much the one I bought in the end but off eBay.

Wrapped a little ptfe/plumbers tape around the thread so it was secure in the tow eye too!

Any tips to make sure the plate won’t spin after a while? There’s a lot of leverage on it with a slightly smaller than legal plate on it.
I’m thinking some sort of support bar or am I over engineering it ?

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I just used PTFE tape and tightened as much as possible! I've got about 3500 miles and it is still secure. It has loosened off a bit but no signs of it wobbling or anything yet. Most of the movement I've seen is just rotating the plate side-to-side very slightly but in normal driving conditions I've not seen it move at all.

OP
OP

Mattyb

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra
Good shout!
I’ll make sure it’s tightened as much as possible!

Kev12

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Jarama
I’ve just ordered one off Amazon.
Was it established what thread it is?
Spring washers may make it more stable….

Kev12

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Jarama
Further to this, is it possible in the UK to get squared front plates other than the regular rectangular ones?