Toyota Europe announces first extension of the GR Supra sports car range w/ new 2.0 turbo engine

Supra Man

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
92 Supra(Sold) / 04 Rsx-S(Rip) / 13 Nismo 370z(Current)
why is a 2.0 inline 4 supra even created? wouldnt a N/A 3.0 inline 6 make more sense like the older supra?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
So much for having a special launch car. Everything on the outside looks identical

why is a 2.0 inline 4 supra even created? wouldnt a N/A 3.0 inline 6 make more sense like the older supra?
For the ones that want to engine swap.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Two things:
1. Toyota doesn't have an inline 6.
2. Different times. Ppl buy ecoboost Mustangs and 1LE Camaros (as crazy as it sounds). There's a market for those who want the look, but not the cash.

hanswurst24

First Name
Hendrik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Pricing information from Toyota Germany (all prices incl. 19% tax and these are list prices / MSRP):

"Pure": 48900 €
"GR Supra 2.0": 53400 € (+ 3000 € for optional Premium Package)
Fuji Speedway Limited Edition: 55900 €​

For reference:
The 3 liter I6 variant "GR Supra 3.0" starts at 62900 € (+ 2000 € for optional Premium Package) and our 86 starts at 29900 € ("Pure") or at 32290 € (normal "GT86").

Pure: 18 inch wheels, no adaptive dampers, no e-diff, smaller brakes, no parking sensors, manual seats, almost no comfort features (like possible HUD, adaptive cruise control, less speakers for infotainment system), no Toyota Supra Connect services, etc.
GR Supra 2.0: 18 inch wheels, includes adaptive dampers and the diff, normal brakes, manual seats, Toyota Supra Connect services, etc.
Premium Package adds: electrical black leather seats with memory function, JBL sound system, wireless charging and the HUD​

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Thanks for the update, A70. That thinking is very disappointing. You know one *could* go as far as to argue that the entire existence of the A90 Supra is completely unnecessary from a pure sales volume standpoint amidst crossover and SUV cash cows.... but here we have it as a production sportscar anyway. It's an irrational car and deserves some irrational options for the irrational people who wish to own and enjoy it (preaching to the choir, I know).

It's amazing to learn that even with the R&D and off the shelf parts on at least one Z4 manual model being done (at 197hp no less) even that is still not an immediate no-brainer configuration to release in any of the Supra's markets.

I've heard the same info through the dealer grapevine about a manual 4cyl Supra in the U.S. market. I always take those sources with a grain of salt but I hope there is truth to what has been said since it seems many of us have been hearing the same general thing.
The car is probably meeting sales goals and they won't need to offer the manual just yet. A step up process to help sales along in the future. If the 4cyl comes to US market, the manual won't be too far behind.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The car is probably meeting sales goals and they won't need to offer the manual just yet. A step up process to help sales along in the future. If the 4cyl comes to US market, the manual won't be too far behind.
^^ I hope that 2.0T manual availability begins with MY2021. Can't come soon enough.

anotherbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000
as much as you see enthusiasts wanting a manual I could understand toyota avoiding selling one if there is no market for one. Looking to the s2000 (a manual), it did over 6000 sales per year USA market in most years. that indicates potential market for those who want a manual even though performance is impacted.

I'd go for a manual if it was available and even the reduced horse power.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
as much as you see enthusiasts wanting a manual I could understand toyota avoiding selling one if there is no market for one. Looking to the s2000 (a manual), it did over 6000 sales per year USA market in most years. that indicates potential market for those who want a manual even though performance is impacted.

I'd go for a manual if it was available and even the reduced horse power.
Those sales at the rate for the s2000 were almost 15 years ago. Unfortunately that is not the kinda argument that is going to get Toyota execs all hot and bothered.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
At the end of the day... regardless of the many reasons and theories as to why... the Supra MKV isn't a Toyota Camry or Highlander. It's a niche halo sportscar for the brand with a huge word of mouth cult following and history . Since it's not an electrified model at this time such a niche sportscar deserves a manual transmission both on the 4cyl and 6cyl models.

That may or may not be how Toyota sees it but it's how the majority of the people interested in the car see it.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Pure: 18 inch wheels, no adaptive dampers, no e-diff, smaller brakes, no parking sensors, manual seats, almost no comfort features (like possible HUD, adaptive cruise control, less speakers for infotainment system), no Toyota Supra Connect services, etc.
GR Supra 2.0: 18 inch wheels, includes adaptive dampers and the diff, normal brakes, manual seats, Toyota Supra Connect services, etc.
Almost every single one of those things is a plus for me over the model we got here lol. Package that puppy with a manual, and wait for the inevitable 2jz bell housing to be developed, and that might be enough to win me over lol.

Pretty sure the non Ediff version of the Z4 "just" got a mechanical LSD, and isn't open, but I may be wrong. Either way, aftermarket is like 1k usd, or junkyard swap, probably a common rear end.

Are the brakes actually smaller or does it have the brakes our North American base model has? Which just has smaller rear rotors I believe. Either way, mono blocks in the front so its not exactly hurting.
Sponsored