Featured SupraMKV's members First Impressions of The New Supra

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Kaizen, Apr 14, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Kaizen

Kaizen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC 350
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    More info: Talking to Cody Walker, he mentioned an insider telling him that the new Supra is several seconds faster than the Z4 around the Ring. He noted it will be quite the controversy when both cars are on the roads for the masses. This could be true since the Supra is a hard top coupe and probably lighter. But he commended the Toyota engineers for their work on the suspension as being the main element for the quicker track time. He told me Toyota had their hands on most of the design, but had to use BMW parts and drive-train to even make this car a reality. Plus they may have had input on the B58 development back in 2012. He says the new Supra is growing on him. He's hardcore classic JDM guy like his bro.

2. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86
    Liked:
    Engineer
    that's pretty much in line with Tada-san response when asked why BMW is faster in 0-60.

3. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    I believe him, just look at what happened in SPA

4. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    I agree with him. Toyota already mentioned back then that it’s not about the numbers. It’s more on the feel and performance. Did he mention anything regarding manual?

5. OP
    OP
    Kaizen

Kaizen Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC 350
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    No, he had no info. on a manual transmission :(

6. bogglo

bogglo Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Lexus GS
    Liked:
    Sounds like what A70TTR said many months ago.

7. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Darren
    Car(s):
    1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
    Liked:
    #37 May 19, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    I saw the Supra in person at an autoshow, but it was roped off, so I couldn't sit in it. It was the Phantom Matte Grey, personally I didn't care for the matte finish. Today, I went to BMW to see the Z4, primarily to sit in it, to see if I would fit, having heard of the tight cockpit in the Supra. I have some observations which should translate to the Supra.

First, the fit and finish was impecabble. It was a black Z4, so it really shows the quality of the paint. It was very smooth, very little orange peel, about as smooth as you will find on a factory finish. I read in the reviews of the Supra several were struck with this on the Supra as well. It reminded me of the factory paint on my 93 FD RX7, which was super smooth. Mazda achieved such a smooth finish with some special paint process, which, unfortunately, resulted in the paint being fragile, and succesptible to rock chips. Anyway, the paint, and fit of the body panels on the Z4 was world-class, and it was obviously far better than on any of the other BMWs (or Toyotas) in the showroom. Seems they know how to paint a vehicle at Magna Steyr.

As for the interior space, snug would be the best description, although it was better than I thought. I'm 6ft, athletic build, and there was ample room to stretch my legs, and arms. I've sat in a 2019 Mazda Miata, which I thought I could never own, because it was far too small inside. I didn't feel this at all in the Z4 - the space was very livable. It nicely wraps around you. All of the materials were premium, felt very high quality.

The car itself was like a wide low hunk of metal, nice prescence, although the Supra will obvious have its own character. The Supra is 2 inches wider, and about an inch lower, so it should seem even more squat and sporty. Really fat tires, same size as the Supra, make a very agressive stance.

Kaizen, XtremeMaC and Nurburgring like this.
  8. imoj1

imoj1 Active Member

First Name:
    Omran
    Car(s):
    Maserati
    Liked:
    #38 May 20, 2019 at 4:44 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    who feels like me, that Toyota badge in the mkiv looks way modern than the cheap chromy blacky one in the mkv
    nengun-4013-09-grazio-toyota_emblem_set-e10051a7.jpg

A70TTR and Kaizen like this.