Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanMD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I sure as hell hope not. There isn't a single design I would call truly sporty in the Toyota / Scion lineup except the FR-S. This car needs to look special and completely blow up the boring utilitarian image that Toyota cars have developed since it last made sports cars.
Sponsored

Peter_P

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 S2000 / 2006 Toyota Coroll
Doubt the FT1's front end has been wind tunnel tested but it looks sleek. Hopefully it's pretty slippery once it's tested by engineers and we can keep the design. Something like the yellow one would be a major disappointment.

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
They made it a point to call it FT-1 to signal the future of their design. I think this is the one that will be "cloned" if they build more sports cars.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Not all and there are big differences for anyone that is not blind. The Taurus, Focus and Fusion all have different grill shapes despite shared design language. The F150 and Escape are also totally distinct.

Lexus on the other hand has adopted the hourglass grill across the board even on the GX, LX, etc. Not saying it is a bad thing but it's way more of a corporate look than most manufacturers.
I think you know I was referring to their cars.

Um the Fusion, Mustang, and Taurus all share the same headlight ;)

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
relax guys, i dont think Toyota is going stick a nose on the Camry and Corolla anytime soon :p

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
Audi definitely worst offender of the same sausage different length look. Talk about taking a corporate look too far.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
Worst corporate style front has to be the Acura beak design. It's too bad they didn't' use the NSX to totally change up the look, but instead went with the same look which results in the worst angle on the NSX.
I don't know many people who like the Acura front end design as it is.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Worst corporate style front has to be the Acura beak design. It's too bad they didn't' use the NSX to totally change up the look, but instead went with the same look which results in the worst angle on the NSX.
They've softened it up across the line and it looks good IMO. The TLX is particularly attractive again (TL was probably the worst victim of the early beak cars).

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
agreed, you would think they learn their lesson with their poor sales. instead they just "soften" it up a little.

the best looking TL IMO has to be the 2004-2008 models.

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
Votes are pretty evenly split. Looks like this won't sway that many decisions on whether to buy the car or not.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
Toyota doesn't really have this kind of corporate front end like many of the others. It's not as similar at least.
Though if you look at the Prius even that has a slight Enzo nose :stirthepot:

babf9a4f8f16f3cc8ce8f9b84210f96ex.jpg

Don't laugh we might see this happen :p

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
off topic, but i saw my i8 in person today. it was beautiful, way better than the pics.

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
That's going to be a function of the car's construction. If it gets that anticipated carbon fiber monocoque then we'll likely see a wide door sill. In my fantasy world I'd like to think that the concept has wide sills which indicates we'll be getting a carbon monocoque, but in reality I don't think the designers had that in mind when drawing it up.
I really wouldn't mind hopping over a CF doorsill everyday to remind me what I'm sitting on/in :) Plus it's eye candy everytime you open the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.