Toyota Press Release: FT-1 Concept Coming to Gran Turismo 6 on January 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
Here is however why this is interesting: Both the LS600h and the IS F hit the market in 2008 with the new naturally aspirated 5.0l V8. They were the same engines, but slightly different to fit the different purpose of the cars, the LS600h has the 2UR-FSE and the IS F has the 2UR-GSE.

I can see this pattern repeating in 2017, with the new LS500h using a turbocharged 6 cylinder in combination with hybrid drive, and the FT-1 using a different variant of this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine without the hybrid drive. More than that, this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine does not seam like such a fantasy, as in the days the mule of the RC F, some sources were pointing to a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine.

Conclusion: as the Z4 replacement is yet some years ahead, and this car is likely to be the base of the FT-1, it is very likely Toyota will use its own engine, the one that should also come around that period in the new LS.
That's a sensible prediction. Hadn't even thought of that possibility but turbo 6 cylinder sounds like the most likely engine for the car. The RC F V8 is available now but almost doesn't seem to make sense putting this engine in a car that won't hit the market for another 2 years. The engine would seem kind of old by then and certainly not attention grabbing as the Supra's powertrain should be once it's revealed.
Sponsored

MACKSTER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beater Honda
I can see this pattern repeating in 2017, with the new LS500h using a turbocharged 6 cylinder in combination with hybrid drive, and the FT-1 using a different variant of this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine without the hybrid drive. More than that, this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine does not seam like such a fantasy, as in the days the mule of the RC F, some sources were pointing to a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine.
Wonder how much power and how high revving they could tune this engine to be. The previous Supra was legendary for its engine, hope that stays true with this one.

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
Legendary as it is, I'd like to think Toyota can do even better than the 2JZ for this car.
It might be higher revving and have a higher redline but I doubt it'll be as tunable for power. It came from a time when Toyota over-engineered its engines.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing the regular ft1 they had in GT6 and the one in the silhouette, I’d say it’s just a ft1, not the Supra.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Nice find! I definitely spy 2000GT and MK4. Not to sure what the last car is, but I'm assuming its FT1/MK5 related.

proxy.php_image=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FDT-XxMIVAAAATq_.png

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
The overall shape is FT1. Maybe I'm seeing things, but it doesn't seem to be quite as long as the concept. :dunno:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
The hood doesn't look long as the FT-1. It does look shorter and chubbier like the prototype.

Nic.CH

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris GRMN, Toyota Corolla Levin 1600 GT (AE86), Toyota GT86
peut-être que c'est la voiture de test avec le camouflage??? j'aime rêver ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.