Toyota Press Release: FT-1 Concept Coming to Gran Turismo 6 on January 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
The C7 is actually similar size as the MKIV Supra.

C7:
Wheelbase
106.7 in (2,710 mm)
Length 176.9 in (4,493 mm)
Width 73.9 in (1,877 mm)
Height 48.6 in (1,234 mm)
Curb weight 1,496 kg (3,298 lb)

Now if they can shrink it down to be smaller I think it could be as light as the C7, but lighter would surprise me. Two extra seats would add at least 100 LBS.

I'm all for a smaller and lighter car but to me the FT-1 concept shows Toyota is not really out to make this a small sports car.
I don't know about 100lbs. There's not really much to those backseats... the added weight would be due to structural accommodations, if anything. 911s still have back seats and they're very lightweight.
Sponsored

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
I don't know about 100lbs. There's not really much to those backseats... the added weight would be due to structural accommodations, if anything. 911s still have back seats and they're very lightweight.
As does the FR-S/BRZ and they're just 2800 lbs.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
Yea I looked at the wrong weights. The corvette's front seats weigh 60 pounds each. It looks like a rear seat delete for the Mustang takes out up to 50 pounds depending on model year. That's just the actual seat though, no doubt the structure would be redesigned if it were made as a 2 seater.

Peter_P

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 S2000 / 2006 Toyota Coroll
The way I see it the MKV Supra will get either the BMW turbo 6 cylnder motor or the Toyota V8 engine from the RCF right?

Which of these would be capable of 518 hp or something north of 500HP? The BMW engine is pretty far from these figures.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
The way I see it the MKV Supra will get either the BMW turbo 6 cylnder motor or the Toyota V8 engine from the RCF right?

Which of these would be capable of 518 hp or something north of 500HP? The BMW engine is pretty far from these figures.
BMW M3/M4 only has 425hp so it'd take some significant tweaking by engineers to get it to 500+ hp reliably.

Honestly tho the Supra would lose some luster for me if Toyota just stuck a BMW engine in there. :(

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX

BMW M3/M4 only has 425hp so it'd take some significant tweaking by engineers to get it to 500+ hp reliably.

Honestly tho the Supra would lose some luster for me if Toyota just stuck a BMW engine in there. :(
Exactly, there's no way that Toyota is going to take an expensive BMW powerplant, amp it up and sell it for the same or less money.

It would be the same logic using the RC-F powerplant, in addition to the tremendous weight that the V8 would add to the Supra.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Exactly, there's no way that Toyota is going to take an expensive BMW powerplant, amp it up and sell it for the same or less money.

It would be the same logic using the RC-F powerplant, in addition to the tremendous weight that the V8 would add to the Supra.
What engine from what car do you think they might use then? Or a brand new developed engine?

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Do what Ford did! Use an engine based on Toyota's old Prototype endurance race cars (although Ford based it on the current Prototype). Cut two cylinders off the V8 Prototype and ...instant success! Might be considered old technology by today's Prototypes standards, but I wouldnt kick it out of my garage!

This engine would be economical to keep the price point in check, and they they don't have to go to the extent of Ford building exotics!

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
So here is my take:

We know that BMW and Toyota are cooperating on a sportscar with a CF chassis as the i3 and i8. Rumors at BMW are that the Z4 will be relaced by a more up-market Z5. The Z5 fits the targeted FT-1 price, so I am very certain both FT-1 and Z5 share the same chassis.

An important date is November 2016, the date that the Z4 ends production. This time, 2016-2017, also fits the possible market start of the FT-1. But this time is also where the new Lexus LS should come, and this is where it becomes interesting.

Just as the NX "inaugurated" the new turbocharged 2.0l I4, so is the LS expected to "inaugurate" the new turbocharged six and probably eight cylinder engines. Whether the six cylinder engine will be inline or in Vee, depends on Toyota's powertrain strategy, if they'll continue with their's, or follow the BMW and Mercedes strategy of using the same 0,5l cylinder in different lenghts (3, 4 and 6 cylinders all inline).

Here is however why this is interesting: Both the LS600h and the IS F hit the market in 2008 with the new naturally aspirated 5.0l V8. They were the same engines, but slightly different to fit the different purpose of the cars, the LS600h has the 2UR-FSE and the IS F has the 2UR-GSE.

I can see this pattern repeating in 2017, with the new LS500h using a turbocharged 6 cylinder in combination with hybrid drive, and the FT-1 using a different variant of this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine without the hybrid drive. More than that, this turbocharged 6 cylinder engine does not seam like such a fantasy, as in the days the mule of the RC F, some sources were pointing to a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine.

Conclusion: as the Z4 replacement is yet some years ahead, and this car is likely to be the base of the FT-1, it is very likely Toyota will use its own engine, the one that should also come around that period in the new LS.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
What engine from what car do you think they might use then? Or a brand new developed engine?
Only time will tell. I like Levi's speculation. History and current speculation on price seems to suggest they would use something in-house, inexpensive, but powerful. Turbo 6-cylinder seems like where the market is headed in terms of weight, cost, power and efficiency. Very few engines these days are entirely "brand new" but it will likely be a new derivative of something existing today.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
Legendary as it is, I'd like to think Toyota can do even better than the 2JZ for this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.