Status
Not open for further replies.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
I think Toyota may just be biding its time.

For argument's sake what if they are planning to move the FR-S onto the future Supra MKV platform? It would have to be modular, which it should be for the Z3/Z4. I would be shocked if Toyota decided to just build one generation of the FR-S and let it die off without any variants.
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I think Toyota may just be biding its time.

For argument's sake what if they are planning to move the FR-S onto the future Supra MKV platform? It would have to be modular, which it should be for the Z3/Z4. I would be shocked if Toyota decided to just build one generation of the FR-S and let it die off without any variants.
If the rumors and reports are true, the whole purpose of the modular sportscar platform is so that both Toyota and BMW can use it to give us multiple sportscars in their lineups. So that's exactly what they are going to do.

The rumors are that Toyota will eventually have three sportscar offerings, with a car slotting in below the current 86. It doesn't seem like there's that much room beneath the 86, so perhaps the 86 will be moving upmarket in its next generation (2018-2020?).

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I'd rather see them offer a hi-po version of the 86 in limited volume then to move the entire line upmarket. I'm not sure it would sell.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I'd rather see them offer a hi-po version of the 86 in limited volume then to move the entire line upmarket. I'm not sure it would sell.
Yeah I don't know, I suppose it depends on how much upmarket. A lot of people seem to be interested in a 300+ horsepower car for $30-$35k. Especially on other forums, many people complained about the FT1 being too expensive when all we knew was "$50-$60k."

But that's just my speculation. There is nothing significant to indicate that the 86 is moving up, but there have been several mentions of a sub-86 car. They could very well offer a sub-86 in the high teens and keep the current 86 as-is.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
I don't think ft86 is a good gauge for public opinion about the target price of the MKV supra. The two only share that they are from the same company. I don't think there will be a lot of 86 owners who will be shopping the Ft1, maybe besides a few on this forum :D

Hans

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 IS-F
If the rumors and reports are true, the whole purpose of the modular sportscar platform is so that both Toyota and BMW can use it to give us multiple sportscars in their lineups. So that's exactly what they are going to do.
If this platform turns out to be as advanced and exotic (heavy or full CF) as the rumors say, this could be a real boom for both Toyota and BMW. Once it's done and ready to use, no reason both companies can't use it for cars other than sports cars too since R&D costs will have already been spent. So why not use it for several models.

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
If this platform turns out to be as advanced and exotic (heavy or full CF) as the rumors say, this could be a real boom for both Toyota and BMW. Once it's done and ready to use, no reason both companies can't use it for cars other than sports cars too since R&D costs will have already been spent. So why not use it for several models.
One reason would be because carbon fiber is still relatively expensive so why bother sticking it in a Camry when its drivers wouldn't know CF if their toilets were made out of it. But years down the line if/when carbon fiber costs approach that of aluminum or steel then yea no reason not to use it for all models since it'll decrease weight and increase gas mileage and performance.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
Coming from a lot of domestic cars I will say they usually use the volume cars, the company's cash cows, to innovate and it trickles down into more niche sports cars. Of course more performance focused stuff like big displacement engines are a different story. But take Ford for example, lightweighting has been done on all the big profit makers, the F-series trucks getting all aluminum and Fusion getting an 800 pound lighter concept.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-builds-800-pounds-lighter-fusion

All of this to say I wouldnt be surprised if we see the real innovation start with cars like the Camry.

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Coming from a lot of domestic cars I will say they usually use the volume cars, the company's cash cows, to innovate and it trickles down into more niche sports cars. Of course more performance focused stuff like big displacement engines are a different story. But take Ford for example, lightweighting has been done on all the big profit makers, the F-series trucks getting all aluminum and Fusion getting an 800 pound lighter concept.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-builds-800-pounds-lighter-fusion

All of this to say I wouldnt be surprised if we see the real innovation start with cars like the Camry.
You have it reversed. Most companies use their halo models to innovate and test the newest technologies. Some of that then flows down to the mass volume cars.

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
Hasn't been a dribble of news coming from Toyota on the car. Hope Tokyo auto show changes that in a couple of months. But even if they released another concept then, how early could we possibly see a new Supra be produced?

Best case scenario of seeing it start production in 2016 (as a 2017 model) and worst case of production in 2017 (as 2018 model)? Or possibly even later? :cry:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Hasn't been a dribble of news coming from Toyota on the car. Hope Tokyo auto show changes that in a couple of months. But even if they released another concept then, how early could we possibly see a new Supra be produced?

Best case scenario of seeing it start production in 2016 (as a 2017 model) and worst case of production in 2017 (as 2018 model)? Or possibly even later? :cry:
Given the Z4 successor, the Z5, is related to the Supra, the info concerning the current Z4 is that it will end production in November 2016. One question is will the Z5 and the Supra be produced at the same plant/line and where? The new X7 will be built in Spartanburg, we know of the plant expansion. It could thus be possible for these to be built there as the US will be the larger market, the NSX will also be built there, so it is not impossible. But if these will be built at the current plant, the line will need retooling with later the first batch of final prototypes, the real production cars will leave the line some time in 2017.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think your worst case scenario is more realistic. There may be a chance we don't see anything else about this car if it's all based on the FT-1. The Lexus LF-LC debut was in 2012 and only up until a few weeks ago camouflage spy shots of a test mule have been floating around online.

Everything said about the LF-LC have also been said about the FT-1 by Toyota.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
At this point who knows if we will ever see it. I honestly dont know why some car companies choose this long drawn out lead time. The FT-1 has been old news for a while and now long forgotten by most people. Why not build on the rave reception it received and go straight into an official concept? Putting 3+ years between a pre-concept concept and production of the car is just bad marketing IMO.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
At this point who knows if we will ever see it. I honestly dont know why some car companies choose this long drawn out lead time. The FT-1 has been old news for a while and now long forgotten by most people. Why not build on the rave reception it received and go straight into an official concept? Putting 3+ years between a pre-concept concept and production of the car is just bad marketing IMO.
It can't be worse than Honda NSX.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
2017 would mean it comes out in 2016. Given everything we know, expecting a car to be delivered even by December 31, 2016 is simply not reasonable.

We could find out something big at Tokyo in October, but I doubt it.

Assuming the car is built, which is becoming more and more of an uncertainty, a 2018 model year or even 2019 model year seems more likely.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.