Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
@Craigy fast tracked to production?! Expected no earlier than 2017 then?
Haha yeah good point. We're literally a month a way from 2015... I suppose 2016 is possible but I just don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed.

We'll probably see the Supra before we ever see an NSX on the showroom floor. ;)
Sponsored

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
@Craigy fast tracked to production?!
From all reports it sounds like FT1 is on the fast track to production. I would love to see a car in late 2016 but I'm not keeping hopes too high.
I would have thought we'd have gotten some spy photos by now if it was fast tracked. Unless Toyota has been doing just a really great job of keeping it under wraps.

Were there a lot of spy pics of mules/prototypes for the 86? How long before production did they start showing up?

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S

I would have thought we'd have gotten some spy photos by now if it was fast tracked. Unless Toyota has been doing just a really great job of keeping it under wraps.

Were there a lot of spy pics of mules/prototypes for the 86? How long before production did they start showing up?
Here's the schedule I was able to piece together from my memory and google.

This first prototype was around Oct 2009. (first pic)
Advanced prototype car spotted around May 2011 (second pic)
Production started March 2012.

So 2.5 yrs from first prototype to production. Hope it's not that long for Supra since not even a single test mule yet.

toybarucoupe.nr3.kgp.ed_opt.jpg

01-scion-fr-s-spy-shots.jpg

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
That second prototype really reminds me of the MkIV. Just shows you they can do all kinds of testing with any POS prototype body. It could be possible they were testing the car in an old MkIV body from those spy photos? If so then we have seen a test mule already.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Haha yeah good point. We're literally a month a way from 2015... I suppose 2016 is possible but I just don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed.

We'll probably see the Supra before we ever see an NSX on the showroom floor. ;)
The NSX must be one the most teased with the longest lead time concepts. It's terrible marketing...generate buzz then just kill it with people getting bored and impatient from waiting and waiting... Hopefully Toyota doesn't make the same mistake.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas

Most spy photos you see are staged by the manufacturer in the sense that they only show u what they want to show. It's a form of marketing and generating hype.

Question is...does the next Supra really need it?

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Here's the schedule I was able to piece together from my memory and google.

This first prototype was around Oct 2009. (first pic)
Advanced prototype car spotted around May 2011 (second pic)
Production started March 2012.

So 2.5 yrs from first prototype to production. Hope it's not that long for Supra since not even a single test mule yet.
Toyota could be secretly testing it somewhere already without anyone realizing, or maybe at night.

Maybe that countdown clock has already started anyway since BMW first model (Z3) based off the joint platform has recently been captured.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
So it seems that the FT-1 is following the same path as the LF-LC. The second concept for both cars only featured a color changes to the exterior and interior. It is also worth nothing that Lexus has confirmed the LF-LC will go into production, and that 90% of the concept will carry over to the production car. So is this good news for the FT-1? Does that mean the styling on the production FT-1 will also remain close to the concept? What do you think?

Red Lexus LF-LC concept debut on January 2012 at the North American International Auto Show.
Blue Lexus LF-LC concept debut October 2012 at the Australian International Motor Show.

Red Toyota FT-1 concept debut on January 2014 at the North American International Auto Show.
Graphite Toyota FT-1 concept debut on August 2014 at Pebble Beach.

Lexus-LF-LC-Concept-8[2].jpg

Lexus-LF-LC-Blue-Concept-14[5].jpg

promo213911005.jpg

promo211.jpg

Last edited:

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
I think most of us would be ecstatic if they keep faithful to the concept. That would mean no further concepts though? I have to believe (and hope) there will be one more that shows off not only the design but also some hints of the underlying platform.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i also hope they built one more concept. leave everything alone, but make it the actual size (10% smaller as stated by Toyota).

Scuba Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S4
Definitely very similar timelines between the two concepts. Is there supposed to be a concept of the production LF-LC coming too beefore they actually reveal the production model? That might would tell us if we should expect another FT-1 or Supra concept. Would suck to see no more updated concepts shown until the final car is revealed 2-3 years from now.

One thing that's worrying is we just officially heard that LF-LC would be produced, 2 years after the last concept was shown. If the Supra follows that time line then Toyota won't officially say the car is being made until summer 2016.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I don't think the LF-LC will get another concept; just due to the reason that Lexus has stated the production car will look very similar to the two concept cars.

Scuba Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S4
I don't think the LF-LC will get another concept; just due to the reason that Lexus has stated the production car will look very similar to the two concept cars.
Hope that doesn't mean no more concepts for the Supra cuz we have a looong way to go until the production car comes out.

Ren

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lexus IS 350
After all didn't they just announce the joint development has moved into the "concept phase" after the feasibility testing completed.

I'd think they wanna give everyone a peek at the fruits of their labor in the 2+ years we'll all be waiting. It'll keep the excitement going and they can get extra feedback.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.