Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the last generation Supra, it had 2 distinct exterior features: the 4 circular taillights and the iconic high wing.

I have always loved that style taillights. It was just so unique looking. Would you want to see the MKV have 4 circuilar taillights as well? The GT-R R35 kept the tradition going with its taillights.

f5f6f2643025e50c6c4dc2a4399d5018.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
kinda has already been talked about in this thread. here is an old render someone made awhile back.

toyota-ft1-render4-jpg.jpg

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
eh, the most iconic part of the mk4's taillights was the altezza style housing. with the angular shape to the FT1's taillights it would look awkward with the circular lights inside so i could care less if they try to implement something similar..the FT1's design looked good to me

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The quad taillights are a key mark of the MKIV Supra. But I like the FT-1 tail lights just because I think they look modern and flow with the car body lines. They too may follow the Black chrome Altezza look like the MKIV though. Not sure if the FT-1 already has them this way.

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
If all four previous generations had circular lights then it would be wrong not to bring them back for the mkv. But as it was only the mkiv that had them id say leave them out; as the circular tail lights look dated now.

For me, the main thing that links all the Supra's together has been a straight six in the front, the option of a manual box in the middle and drive at the rear. I can see only the latter of the three being a given. I wouldnt be surprised if we get a V6 and a flappy paddle box as the only option.

Turbo GFX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had this debate with a friend the other day about whether the new Supra would sell mainly to people who grew up in the 90's and want a remake of an iconic sports car they grew up with or if it would be a new crowd less concerned with whether it has any resemblance to the MKIV. I argued that it's been out of production for so long that most will have to Google it just to either remember (or see it for the first time) its design features so staying true to the design is not necessary, which may be one of the things that have made Toyota consider whether it needs to or should wear the Supra badge.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i totally agree that the circular taillights look dated. they kind of remind me of the Evo.

2012-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-mr-sedan-rear-view.png

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I think the circular taillight would make it look dated. I prefer the modern look on the concept.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I hope it looks similar to the concept. IMO they did a pretty good job with the LC.

lexus_lc-500_lc500_09a.jpg

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Not bad, I actually prefer the look of these to the ones on the other red and graphite FT1.

Status
Not open for further replies.