Toyota GR Supra Concept and NASCAR Supra at SEMA 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Word is engineers from Saertex & Teijin are heading to the Motomachi factory led by Toyota management to "scope out" facility for tooling at the same time while a few "vanilla" MKV chassis's will be there. :D

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Word is engineers from Saertex & Teijin are heading to the Motomachi factory led by Toyota management to "scope out" facility for tooling at the same time while a few "vanilla" MKV chassis's will be there. :D
So performance from what you have heard about this serialized car/grmn version are we getting essentially a cayman gt4 competitor since the base mkv is targeting the base cayman/gts?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So performance from what you have heard about this serialized car/grmn version are we getting essentially a cayman gt4 competitor since the base mkv is targeting the base cayman/gts?
honestly I have no idea who Toyota would be targeting. The people they are getting involved sound like contractors from racing divisions (Saertex & Teijin are composites experts), so Iā€™m assuming some top tier competitors. They may or may not be associated with the MKV, but itā€™s weird that ā€œeveryoneā€ will be at the same facility during that time. Iā€™ll post more info as it comes along.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Sounds like Toyota is keeping their word in regards to the Supra being less than 1500kg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like Toyota is keeping their word in regards to the Supra being less than 1500kg
Surprised Toyota didnā€™t do composite research in-house like the LFA. I guess the $400k LFA price tag justifies them doing it, but not for a $60-$70k MKV. Makes sense to outsource composites R&D to keep the car attainable. Btw, the two companies I mentioned make the carbon fiber body parts for Lamborghini (just one of their many customers).

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Surprised Toyota didnā€™t do composite research in-house like the LFA. I guess the $400k LFA price tag justifies them doing it, but not for a $60-$70k MKV. Makes sense to outsource composites R&D to keep the car attainable. Btw, the two companies I mentioned make the carbon fiber body parts for Lamborghini (just one of their many customers).
What was it that Tada said about a Manual in the MKV?something about finer materials

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible those companies are there for development on the GR Super Sport and not the supra?

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The additional Carbon Fiber from Teijin will definitely put a hefty price on the GR Supra

The Lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
@PerformanceSound I have a question for you. Ever since youā€™ve heard about these serialized cars, do you still think the MKV Supra isnā€™t worthy of the Supra nameplate?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@PerformanceSound I have a question for you. Ever since youā€™ve heard about these serialized cars, do you still think the MKV Supra isnā€™t worthy of the Supra nameplate?
If what I have heard is true about the serialized cars, those MKV Supraā€™s will probably go down in history as the best Supraā€™s ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.