Toyota GR Supra Concept and NASCAR Supra at SEMA 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of performance per dollar are we looking at here?

The caveat to trying to push the performance envelope is the law of diminishing returns is compounded when considering the production quantity for high performance vehicles.

The Nismo GTR is an absolute monster around the track but is not the performance bargain it was in 08. The 650hp ZL1 1LE Camaro is 8 seconds slower than the Nismo GTR around the ring but is cheap enough that you could also buy a new CTS-V and a Cruze to daily for the price of the GTR. Obviously the Camaro has vastly different production numbers than the GTR but $70k vs 185k is a huge difference in price.

If the top A90 is approaching six figures, what kind of performance figures would it need to have for the purchase to be justifiable? At what price is it a better value than a 650hp Camaro with a manual?

I know most here (including myself) would hardly consider a Camaro but we can pretend for sake of hypothetical questions
That's what I want to know as well....what will be the cost of this top tier trim. Based on the "rumors" and "insider" info, it sounds like it is going to be quite pricey....whether or not it will be six figures is yet to be determined. Like A70TTR said before, the info I am getting could be related to a completely different project(s), maybe for racing only. What I don't get though, is why these few chassis' are being sent to Motomachi if what Guff said is true about keeping the production in Europe??? There are also more tid bits but I cannot share those, better to have them come from Toyota.

Right now, I want to know cost and use case for these "magical Supra's."
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
That's what I want to know as well....what will be the cost of this top tier trim. Based on the "rumors" and "insider" info, it sounds like it is going to be quite pricey....whether or not it will be six figures is yet to be determined. Like A70TTR said before, the info I am getting could be related to a completely different project(s), maybe for racing only. What I don't get though, is why these few chassis' are being sent to Motomachi if what Guff said is true about keeping the production in Europe??? There are also more tid bits but I cannot share those, better to have them come from Toyota.

Right now, I want to know cost and use case for these "magical Supra's."
How much of a market can they expect on a race only version? Personally, I dont care if it has crazy performance per dollar I wouldn't own so I truly do not know what the market could be.

I dont think we should overthink where the car would be produced, if Steyr can put together M550is according to BMW's specs then they can do the same to the Supra to Toyota's specs. It is a factory after all.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
My guess is that any alternative drivetrains would be for Super GT in Japan.

Tada already said that the the inline six would be the flagship engine for the car (at goodwood)
GT3/4 must run the original engine, so my guess is that they'll be JGTC racecar chassis :)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that any alternative drivetrains would be for Super GT in Japan.

Tada already said that the the inline six would be the flagship engine for the car (at goodwood)
GT3/4 must run the original engine, so my guess is that they'll be JGTC racecar chassis :)
...but why serialize the chassisā€™ then? Arenā€™t serialized cars done so for production purposes?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Not sure. All the chassis we have in our racing series are serialised too, when we service individual components they have full traceability

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure. All the chassis we have in our racing series are serialised too, when we service individual components they have full traceability
Might very well be for racing only, but I have a sneaking suspicion there will be more to this :rolleyes:. Time will tell....I hate waiting.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Is it possible those companies are there for development on the GR Super Sport and not the supra?
There is some conflation, but a few of the comments here are pretty close to what is actually taking place atm.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is some conflation, but a few of the comments here are pretty close to what is actually taking place atm.
It would make alot of sense for the composite companies that are being contracted to be there for the GR Super Sport...I can't imagine any manufacturer sending top engineers to factories just to make "small" carbon fiber bits.

As for the MKV chassis' with no drivetrains....that will be interesting to see what they are used for. Imagine Toyota shocks everyone by putting a ridiculously stout 4cyl turbo engine co-developed by "some contractor" in a lightened MKV chassis :spaz:. Ohhh Toyota....if we can only see what's happening behind those heavily guarded doors.

Last edited:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
They do actually have their own turbo 4 now. Somehow I only learned about it this year, but its been around since 2016. Guess thats what happens when you only stick it in boring Lexus SUVs.

Maybe they're putting their new TT V6 in that chassis to see what it does.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They do actually have their own turbo 4 now. Somehow I only learned about it this year, but its been around since 2016. Guess thats what happens when you only stick it in boring Lexus SUVs.
Yeah, I know....the one your referring to is in the NX200t. My mom has one, and it drives pretty nice...for a small SUV....not for a sports car.

Still, it aint a Supra unless it's got a turbo six.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I know....the one your referring to is in the NX200t. My mom has one, and it drives pretty nice...for a small SUV....not for a sports car.

Still, it aint a Supra unless it's got a turbo six.
Not to be a buzzkill, but Turbo 4 Supra's are still memorable for racing.
upload_2018-11-27_16-18-49.jpeg

Hope they do a modern rendition
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.