Toyota GR Supra Concept and NASCAR Supra at SEMA 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimyota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
The clues are likely all over the forum. The rumored CGI block, composite roof, ex-Yamaha engineers designing a custom head with Toyota variable valve system, Toyota D4S injection, tunable ecu, legit 3100 pounds or less, 7700rpm redline, tested to over 700hp on stock internals and driveline to match.

Some or all of that's at least what it would take to surpass the MKIV, and i suspect it would change the mind of a skeptic, or make a MKIV owner put his car up for sale.
Sponsored

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
Word is engineers from Saertex & Teijin are heading to the Motomachi factory led by Toyota management to "scope out" facility for tooling at the same time while a few "vanilla" MKV chassis's will be there. :D
what I heard is that Toyota is already putting forward their own inclusions for the 2021 Refresh facelift, mechanical wise I dont see BMW allowing them to slot or modify the assembly line in Austria to make the Supra model better so...

perhaps this is for the "Gazoo" or special edition for the 2021 facelift that will be shipped from Japan (from Austria)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
what I heard is that Toyota is already putting forward their own inclusions for the 2021 Refresh facelift, mechanical wise I dont see BMW allowing them to slot or modify the assembly line in Austria to make the Supra model better so...

perhaps this is for the "Gazoo" or special edition for the 2021 facelift that will be shipped from Japan (from Austria)
The MKV serialized chassisā€™ being shipped to Japan are without drivetrains. Just sayin...:rolleyes:.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The million dollar question is when.

I havenā€™t heard anything about premier cars. Considering that most of these ā€œmeetingsā€ are taking place now....I donā€™t foresee these special cars being available anytime soon. That is why I got a new daily to hold me over for a bit :D.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Im so conflicted. I am on the fence on just pulling the trigger on a 997.1 6 speed turbo but if this special car is really going to be so special is it worth waiting for. I mean it willl probably be years before it launches...

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im so conflicted. I am on the fence on just pulling the trigger on a 997.1 6 speed turbo but if this special car is really going to be so special is it worth waiting for. I mean it willl probably be years before it launches...
I know...but think of it like this, the longer you wait the more you save. I am hoping the special cars donā€™t cost alot (i.e., $90k, $100k, etc...).

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Save your money and buy a Yota! If it ends up sucking, then you can always buy your Porsche

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
I know...but think of it like this, the longer you wait the more you save. I am hoping the special cars donā€™t cost alot (i.e., $90k, $100k, etc...).
I think Iā€™ll be out of it ends up being that much. Hoping itā€™s not though. Itā€™ll have a lot more potent competition at that price range as well.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
You're not going to lose much money (if any) on a 997.1 Turbo, so I'd just go for it. Just sell it if and when the Super Supra comes out.

Also I know nothing about these magical Supras, so don't ask. :p

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also I know nothing about these magical Supras, so don't ask. :p
Guff, sounds like you know a little about these magical Supraā€™s. What I would like to know is whether they are racecars or production cars, and when. These are still the unknowns.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
What kind of performance per dollar are we looking at here?

The caveat to trying to push the performance envelope is the law of diminishing returns is compounded when considering the production quantity for high performance vehicles.

The Nismo GTR is an absolute monster around the track but is not the performance bargain it was in 08. The 650hp ZL1 1LE Camaro is 8 seconds slower than the Nismo GTR around the ring but is cheap enough that you could also buy a new CTS-V and a Cruze to daily for the price of the GTR. Obviously the Camaro has vastly different production numbers than the GTR but $70k vs 185k is a huge difference in price.

If the top A90 is approaching six figures, what kind of performance figures would it need to have for the purchase to be justifiable? At what price is it a better value than a 650hp Camaro with a manual?

I know most here (including myself) would hardly consider a Camaro but we can pretend for sake of hypothetical questions
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.