2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-supra-convertible-on-the-cards-116205/

Toyota Supra convertible on the cards
A Toyota 86 drop-top never happened, but the Supra has an ace up its sleeve

During a whistle-stop tour in Australia, as part of the last leg of the Toyota Supra’s chassis tuning program, Tada-san told carsales.com.au that a convertible derivative of the all-new two-seat sports coupe was very much on Toyota’s radar.

“Of course we consider this,” said Tada-san.

Unlike the Toyota 86 Convertible concept car, which was revealed at the 2013 Geneva motor show but never made the transition to production, any Supra convertible’s development costs are already partially paid for.

Now that Toyota is in bed with BMW and the fabric-roofed Z4 and Supra share their platform – and a very flexible, cutting-edge manufacturing base at the Magna Steyr factory in Austria – a convertible Supra is certainly not impossible.

An open-top A90 Supra would stay faithful to its classic sports car predecessors too, with several previous-generation Supra models offered with targa tops incorporating removable roof panels.

It had been widely assumed that the BMW Z4, which eschews its forbear’s folding hard-top, would only ever be a convertible and that its two-seat twin-under-the-skin, Supra, would remain a fixed-roof coupe.

But Toyota executives say there’s no binding contract stopping either company from mixing it up, which could not only lead to a convertible Supra, but the first Z4 coupe in generations.

Tada-san wouldn’t be drawn on details of whether the a Toyota Supra convertible is already in development, but the fact he didn’t pooh-pooh the idea outright bodes well for extroverts looking for a fast, fun, head-turning Japanese roadster in the same vein as the old Honda S2000.
Sponsored

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
Is there hope for a targa roof? I haven't seen much talk about this on here. Do we have any solid reason to think that Toyota will offer the new supra with a targa roof? Considering the car's history it would make sense to offer one.

Thanks

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Aenemic power, only auto, built in a shit German factory... But we get a convertible instead of a targa.

Godammit Toyota. Literally every thing that it takes to make a good Supra reboot, they chose to do the opposite.

We now have a solara with BMW reliability.
You have missed out on so much

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Is there hope for a targa roof? I haven't seen much talk about this on here. Do we have any solid reason to think that Toyota will offer the new supra with a targa roof? Considering the car's history it would make sense to offer one.

Thanks
it's been discussed like most other things. it's hardtop only for now and if anything would be convertible due to Z4 dev (never happen though).

LO7

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Toyota Supra TT blk/blk, 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1 blk/blk
Gross. Convertible is a terrible idea. Targa is a perfect idea to stick with the lineage...
OR at least somewhere in-between the two, maybe similar to the Miata RF top:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
What's an Aerotop? Come on stick to standard names, I had to do a quick Google just to make sure Toyota never made an Aerocabin mk4...
w7qdszq2jttdrvt96fmz.jpg

Targa or Sport Roof please:)

Fyi the Targa option only adds 60lbs on the mk4 and is pretty much just as stiff with the roof bolted on. Also if you don't put the roof in the hatch most of that 60lbs disappears when it's off (not that you would want to track it with it off). I wouldn't consider a mk4 without one, such an awesome option. Another reason I won't buy the mk5.

LO7

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Toyota Supra TT blk/blk, 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1 blk/blk
The problem is if you go convertible, traditionally your body rigidity goes to hell in a basket, and along with it - significant performance.
its a entry level sports car that's not in the same chassis league, and will suffer badly going to convertible. Hence the reason I've always said the Z4 cant match the A90 for actual performance driving.
The chassis was designed from the very beginning to have proper chassis rigidity as a Z4 convertible, so I'm willing to bet it won't handle like a wet noodle. I'd almost bet that there's no extra stiffening brace differences between the Z4 and the Supra... Just some different suspensions settings.

They said this new Supra has more rigidity than the LFA... That's outstanding... From the beginning of this endeavor I believe Toyota has planned to release a targa-like version... They probably even already have all of the updated bodywork for the 2024 (or so) refresh planned out.
(*Of course, all just my personal opinions..)

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Yeah Targa seems like a no brainer on this platform. The question is, will BMW allow it. Might be too convertable like for their taste.

As I understood it, part of the reason the mk4 targa was only 60lbs+ on the fixed roof vs the +100 diff on the mk3, was the extra chassis bracing was in both cars. I have not ripped one apart to check though.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yeah Targa seems like a no brainer on this platform. The question is, will BMW allow it. Might be too convertable like for their taste.

As I understood it, part of the reason the mk4 targa was only 60lbs+ on the fixed roof vs the +100 diff on the mk3, was the extra chassis bracing was in both cars. I have not ripped one apart to check though.
Why is BMW concerned with the chassis? They aren't building the car
Sponsored