Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium - 2018 Lexus LC500 Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, nothing like going through gears manually. Some folks are content with an Auto that is for pure speed. Do I like 1000hp+ cars?...of course, who doesn’t? However for me, enjoying a; great handling, powerful enough, manual transmission car is key. Just my take on it.
Yet you bought a car with a Dual Clutch. I'm perplexed here LOL.
Sponsored

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
This is sick but I would love to see somebody push the limits on a stock motor...

follow our build thread in our section for that

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I meant to say on a 100% complete stock motor and turbo. lol
with enough octane, low to mid 500s at the wheels is doable on stock turbo. made 507whp on stock turbo(could have made more) before moving to the original pure turbo upgrade. made 600+whp on that. Moved on, now we are running an EFR9280 on our car looking to hit 800-850whp on the stock engine.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Yet you bought a car with a Dual Clutch. I'm perplexed here LOL.
You also forgot to read my later post that mentions keeping my MANUAL TRANSMISSION STI. I do have bigger power plans for the STI down the road. Why do I need two manual transmission cars? What manual transmission car is faster than a GTR that I can buy? Still perplexed?

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You also forgot to read my later post that mentions keeping my MANUAL TRANSMISSION STI. I do have bigger power plans for the STI down the road. Why do I need two manual transmission cars? What manual transmission car is faster than a GTR that I can buy? Still perplexed?
Why do you need an auto if you prefer rowing gears as you stated here? Doesn't that strip all qualities of YOUR driving experience from the car with an auto? You don't need a GT-R to get power as you also stated your adding power to your STI. I see you don't even own a MKV Supra yet you are here on a MKV Supra forum posting about STI's and GT-R's even stated you're buying a GT-R so shouldn't you be on a WRX or GT-R forum? Vey odd. So yes, very perplexed LOL.

Lastly, the modern manual is not the vital prerequisite it once was. Instead, the clutch has become more a status symbol, a way of proclaiming, "Yes, I'm a car guy." It serves the same function "My other car is a bike" sticker on the back of a Prius. :p

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you need an auto if you prefer rowing gears as you stated here? Doesn't that strip all qualities of YOUR driving experience from the car with an auto? You don't need a GT-R to get power as you also stated your adding power to your STI. I see you don't even own a MKV Supra yet you are here on a MKV Supra forum posting about STI's and GT-R's even stated you're buying a GT-R so shouldn't you be on a WRX or GT-R forum? Vey odd. So yes, very perplexed LOL.

Lastly, the modern manual is not the vital prerequisite it once was. Instead, the clutch has become more a status symbol, a way of proclaiming, "Yes, I'm a car guy." It serves the same function "My other car is a bike" sticker on the back of a Prius. :p
You seem like an angry person....is everything alright? Reading your recent posts, sounds like attacking people is on the top of your list. Last I checked, this is a SupraMKV forum, not a SupraMKVOwning forum. Now I’m “perplexed.” The moment I start bad mouthing the MKV, you absolutely have the right to attack....otherwise, be respectful and don’t start drama. That behavior belongs at SF.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You seem like an angry person....is everything alright? Reading your recent posts, sounds like attacking people is on the top of your list.
The question is are you alright? It seems I have unintentionally provoked an emotional response from you by merely asking questions regarding your purpose being on a MKV Supra forum when you don't own a Supra. I think most would think it's bit odd.

Last I checked, this is a SupraMKV forum, not a SupraMKVOwning forum. Now I’m “perplexed.” The moment I start bad mouthing the MKV, you absolutely have the right to attack....
You don't own a MKV Supra, you don't own a Supra period but created an account on a MKV Supra forum to discuss buying a GT-R. You bash the MKV Supra on a MKV Supra forum and wonder why a member has questioned your logic? Wow!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The question is are you alright? It seems I have unintentionally provoked an emotional response from you by merely asking questions regarding your purpose being on a MKV Supra forum when you don't own a Supra. I think most would think it's bit odd.

You don't own a MKV Supra, you don't own a Supra period but created an account on a MKV Supra forum to discuss buying a GT-R. You bash the MKV Supra on a MKV Supra forum and wonder why a member has questioned your logic? Wow!
That is what I am confused about my dude....what MKV am I bashing? I love the MKV, actually more than the MKIV. Not sure what I said that provoked this uproar. My recent posts were about me choosing a GTR over two other cars. Thats all, not hating on anyone or any car.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is what I am confused about my dude....what MKV am I bashing? I love the MKV, actually more than the MKIV. Not sure what I said that provoked this uproar. My recent posts were about me choosing a GTR over two other cars. Thats all, not hating on anyone or any car.
I was referring to your comment here:
The moment I start bad mouthing the MKV, you absolutely have the right to attack....
I didn't bother looking as I assumed you were admitting to already bashing somewhere on here. either way, I'm still perplexed why you would even be on a MKV Supra forum when you don't own one and don't plan on getting one now that you have chosen a GT-R. It's like showing back up to a job that you quit wondering why your boss is confused to see you again. :p

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Um... for what it's worth I think there are several forum members here who don't yet own an MKV but are nonetheless very interested in one and are considering it for one reason or another, some of whom own all sorts of other styles of cars in their garages.

Between the not impossible but very complicated and additionally expensive nature of manual swapping an MKV (on top of buying the car to begin with) *and* getting it legally California registered via some pricey additional modifications that no one has attempted yet (for those to whom this may apply) and Toyota being mum about whether or not they'll offer their own manual option from MY2021+ I'm patiently waiting to see what happens over the next few months with this model.

I have to disagree with this. Personally I am not interested in status symbols, just certain engineering, design and control interfaces. I'm particular and I could care less what someone thinks of my cars having manual transmissions or not. I just prefer manual gearboxes because they generally suit my taste the most over autos and DCTs. I don't care about lighting quick shifting speed. I like shifting a manual transmission because it makes me happy. It's mechanically satisfying, whimsical and fun to do regardless of how anachronistic it has become for many folks in 2019.

Many modern performance cars all the way down and up the hierarchy ladder come with fast autos and DCTs these days. And honestly? They're often great now! Those cars just don't seriously interest me if there is no stick option. And for the time being while some performance vehicles still DO offer stick shifts... those are the only ones I'd consider seriously buying. I just like what I like. Many years from now when no new manual cars are around any longer I'll then change by necessity and I'll just accept that aside from also owning something older that has a stick in it.

But in the meantime why compromise if you actually like and genuinely enjoy using manual transmissions? And why consider such a thing a novelty or status symbol to own? That's also silly and pointless. Own a stick-shift car because you actually enjoy it and drive it, all other things being irrelevant. Period.

To each their own. There is nothing wrong with modern autos (especially the ZF8) and modern DCTs but there is also nothing wrong with liking and enjoying a traditional manual transmission and making that drive interface a priority. Each have their own reasons for being appealing in different ways.

Last edited:

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Between the not impossible but very complicated and additionally expensive nature of manual swapping an MKV (on top of buying the car to begin with) *and* getting it legally California registered via some pricey additional modifications that no one has attempted yet (for those to whom this may apply) and Toyota being mum about whether or not they'll offer their own manual option from MY2021+ I'm patiently waiting to see what happens over the next few months with this model.
A manual swap on a MKV Supra was already done by European Auto Group and it's a disaster. The first imbeciles to make a factory car run slower and less reliable than it's factory auto transmission for the sake of views and followers on Youtube. Toyota from what was stated will not be releasing a manual MKV Supra in the U.S..

Personally I am not interested in status symbols, just certain engineering, design and control interfaces. I'm particular and I could care less what someone thinks of my cars having manual transmissions or not. I just prefer manual gearboxes because they generally suit my taste the most over autos and DCTs. I don't care about lighting quick shifting speed. I like shifting a manual transmission because it makes me happy. It's mechanically satisfying, whimsical and fun to do regardless of how anachronistic it has become for many folks in 2019.

Many modern performance cars all the way down and up the hierarchy ladder come with fast autos and DCTs these days. And honestly? They're often great now! Those cars just don't seriously interest me if there is no stick option. And for the time being while some performance vehicles still DO offer stick shifts... those are the only ones I'd consider seriously buying. I just like what I like. Many years from now when no new manual cars are around any longer I'll then change by necessity and I'll just accept that aside from also owning something older that has a stick in it.

But in the meantime why compromise if you actually like and genuinely enjoy using manual transmissions? And why consider such a thing a novelty or status symbol to own? That's also silly and pointless. Own a stick-shift car because you actually enjoy it and drive it, all other things being irrelevant. Period.
This article sums it up nicely.
https://jalopnik.com/a-manual-transmission-is-not-the-only-way-to-enjoy-a-ca-5952570

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A manual swap on a MKV Supra was already done by European Auto Group and it's a disaster. The first imbeciles to make a factory car run slower and less reliable than it's factory auto transmission for the sake of views and followers on Youtube. Toyota from what was stated will not be releasing a manual MKV Supra in the U.S..
Actually looking at what they've done without having the Z4 manual pedal box yet (they used some year M4 pedal box temporarily) and that 520D gearbox without yet changing out the factory rear end gearing for the required 4.10's to match the Zf8's overall gearing I'd say they're well on their way to getting right what Toyota and BMW have refused to do.

The Z4 manual pedals and pedal box were on backorder since those Euro-only cars hadn't even begun production yet. They'll install those parts and swap in 4.10 rear gears to better match the transmission gearing and continue to refine their ECU tune. That will finalize their swap solution.

Keep in mind that for anyone who wants to do a full engine build with a power in the 700-800whp+ range it may actually be preferable to stay with the lower ratio stock automatic rear diff gearing. For those who plan to stay at stock or BPU/BPU+ power (whatever that gets defined as for an MKV) manual swapped MKV's will probably be better with the 4.10 gearing with the 520D 6-speed box.

Failure?? How? EAG isn't even done getting it finished yet or finalizing whatever additional gearing options they want to be available for customers. They've only shown off their progress to date, not a final swap conversion that they will actually offer with pricing.

Yep, Toyota has been very non-committal either way on any manual Supra, let alone one for the U.S. That can be interpreted as "actually we don't at all plan to but are too polite and careful to say outright" or "we actually may consider doing it but until the moment we are ready to announce it there is no way in hell we will even hint about it and risk a leak or rumor."

For now OR the foreseeable future of the A90 that means no factory manual Supra. Who knows?

All the more reason I'm interested in EAG's work as it is that much less that I would have to spend my time figuring out from scratch myself. It saves tremendous time and effort that they're already started the ground work for a manual conversion using as many OEM parts as possible but until some other company has a go at it themselves the eventually finalized EAG flash tune to the ECU will be needed besides just the parts for the conversion.

Youtube is a common way for small and niche businesses to get the word out about their products. They're an aftermarket tuner shop business using it as such, not some yahoo making videos about how they stuck a Cummins into their MKIV just to be "different"

That's a nice article but it doesn't interest me. A manual transmission isn't the ONLY way to enjoy a car of course but paddles being better outside of a track racing environment (unless the sanctioning body requires all entrants use a traditional manual 'box) is entirely subjective and while the article commands "...and you need to deal with it" hmm.... no, I don't. But actually since I already have acknowledged that paddle gearboxes have many great superiorities that just don't happen to appeal to someone who really likes traditional manual transmissions I feel I already have "dealt with it".

If someone wants to enjoy performance cars with paddle shift transmissions literally no one is stopping them. Really, no one is. I'm certainly not. I want everyone to enjoy their cars in whatever factory configuration or state of modification they wish to.

...Including whoever drives with the 781HP B58C engine built by the tuning shop that started this very thread.

Last edited:

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Youtube is a common way for small and niche businesses to get the word out about their products. They're an aftermarket tuner shop business using it as such, not some yahoo making videos about how they stuck a Cummins into their MKIV just to be "different".
I disagree. Why would any micro business waste finite resources, time and money on parts/kit that would barely sell enough units to break even on?

That's a nice article but it doesn't interest me. A manual transmission isn't the ONLY way to enjoy a car of course but paddles being better outside of a track racing environment (unless the sanctioning body requires all entrants use a traditional manual 'box) is entirely subjective and while the article commands "...and you need to deal with it" hmm.... no, I don't. But actually since I already have acknowledged that paddle gearboxes have many great superiorities that just don't happen to appeal to someone who really likes traditional manual transmissions I feel I already have "dealt with it".

If someone wants to enjoy performance cars with paddle shift transmissions literally no one is stopping them. Really, no one is. I'm certainly not. I want everyone to enjoy their cars in whatever factory configuration or state of modification they wish to.

...Including whoever drives with the 781HP B58C engine built by the tuning shop that started this very thread.
No one is forcing or commanding you to like the evolution of automotive technology. You most certainly don't have to own or even drive an automatic either. That has never been my focus when debating this topic with individuals such as yourself who prefer a manual.

However, the rest of the world has moved on from conventional manuals as well as modern manuals. Thus, why nearly all manufactures do not and will not produce anymore manuals from 2020 and on. It has become a niche market left to purists who a.) grew up driving a manual or b.) drivers who have been convinced by too much automotive jargon that they are not masculine if they can't or don't drive a manual.

The notion that driving a manual let's you control a car better or makes you more connected is simply nonsense. Mindless and unnecessary mental exercising through rowing gears repeatedly whether in day to day traffic or on a track to most just isn't a driving experience at all but rather a chore. Most diehard manual lovers have converted after they have felt what a DCT with 600+hp can do for them on a track or even in day to day traffic. Make no mistake, people assume driving an auto is easy however, they easily forget that when in manual mode on an auto (paddles) you still need to be able to hear and feel the engine if not viewing the rpms to downshift and upshift in the correct rpms and even more so the cars are much faster now than the cars with conventional manuals were. Cornering and overtakes at much higher speeds become very dangerous and require more thought for entry and exists than a conventional manual.
Sponsored