Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 Sales Figures

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
I think the March ones cage with free Covid!
Sponsored

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
Well yeah the mark up period is obviously long gone.
Not so obvious if you're shopping for a Supra on Autotrader. For the 1st time since dealers were stocked on '20s, a search on this site for new Supras yields less than the 1000 result max. As of this post, 977 new and 118 used Supras are listed. I am surprised to see the number still listed at well over sticker. Advertised prices on used in these listings are not slipping much. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...=derivedpriceDESC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Cars and Autotrader will only show around 1000 in any search. If you search cargurus for new, it shows around 1500. And I don't think all dealerships advertise on cargurus. So there is probably more inventory then that.

Toyota had been averaging around 400 a month in sales. It's hard to say how many they will be selling in these next few months. But the 2021's should be hitting the lots in a couple of months. When the 2021's arrive, there will probably be around 1000 2020's left. And this is assuming that we don't receive anymore 2020 deliveries and assuming that Toyota will still sell 200-400 a month.

Toyota needs to start applying some rebates to help move these leftover 2020's. Especially around this economic time. These cars are going to sit and dealerships can't really take off much more than $5k without losing money or screwing the customer on trade, finance, accessories, warranties, etc.

These dealerships need to get off their high horse too. A lot of them are still trying to get msrp. And the asking price on used ones is laughable. Also, they need to start allowing test drives. My local dealership expected me to drop $50k+ on a small performance two seater sports car and only allowing you to start it up and sit in it.

The next few months will be interesting to see what Toyota does. I'm curious if they will finally give in and apply some significant rebates? Or will they just let the dealership be on their own and either have to take losses or let the cars sit.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Cars and Autotrader will only show around 1000 in any search. If you search cargurus for new, it shows around 1500. And I don't think all dealerships advertise on cargurus. So there is probably more inventory then that.

Toyota had been averaging around 400 a month in sales. It's hard to say how many they will be selling in these next few months. But the 2021's should be hitting the lots in a couple of months. When the 2021's arrive, there will probably be around 1000 2020's left. And this is assuming that we don't receive anymore 2020 deliveries and assuming that Toyota will still sell 200-400 a month.

Toyota needs to start applying some rebates to help move these leftover 2020's. Especially around this economic time. These cars are going to sit and dealerships can't really take off much more than $5k without losing money or screwing the customer on trade, finance, accessories, warranties, etc.

These dealerships need to get off their high horse too. A lot of them are still trying to get msrp. And the asking price on used ones is laughable. Also, they need to start allowing test drives. My local dealership expected me to drop $50k+ on a small performance two seater sports car and only allowing you to start it up and sit in it.

The next few months will be interesting to see what Toyota does. I'm curious if they will finally give in and apply some significant rebates? Or will they just let the dealership be on their own and either have to take losses or let the cars sit.

Yup, I encountered this "no test drive" at a couple of dealerships. My preferred dealership was great though. He had two on the showroom floor and offered to pull either one out for a test drive. I made an appt. for the following weekend and showed up with my son. Salesman asked, " I suppose you want to take your son with you?" I said yup and he threw me the keys and said, " take your time". Definitely helped earn my business.

I'm glad to see the Supra outselling the 718. Although to be honest the 718 is expensive for what it is , plus no-one really stocks many of these, plus the 4 cyl. is not popular. The 718 was supposed to be their entry level product to get new/younger customers and they've blown that concept out of the water in recent years.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Yup, I encountered this "no test drive" at a couple of dealerships. My preferred dealership was great though. He had two on the showroom floor and offered to pull either one out for a test drive. I made an appt. for the following weekend and showed up with my son. Salesman asked, " I suppose you want to take your son with you?" I said yup and he threw me the keys and said, " take your time". Definitely helped earn my business.

I'm glad to see the Supra outselling the 718. Although to be honest the 718 is expensive for what it is , plus no-one really stocks many of these, plus the 4 cyl. is not popular. The 718 was supposed to be their entry level product to get new/younger customers and they've blown that concept out of the water in recent years.
I understand the "no test drive" in a way. People who buy these type of cars, want the miles to be low. It was kind of the same when I bought my Evo. It was also the same way when I bought my Type R. But most the Honda dealerships will have none or one Type R at a time.

When I bought my Evo, most dealerships would have one or none as well. But there were plenty of dealerships who stocked many of them. Most of those dealerships would use one as a demo car and then sell that demo car at a discount.

I understand these Toyota dealerships not allowing test drives when the car first came out. At that time the cars were almost selling as soon as they hit the lot. Dealerships were getting msrp and over msrp, in some situations.

But the economy is hurting. Supra sales are low. Demand is low. Dealerships have multiple units on lot. Dealerships are discounting them pretty heavily. But they expect a customer to drop $50k plus without a test drive?

My local dealership has 4 of them lined up. They have had them for months. I think they have had their red one for 5 months now. If they get one more in, it will probably have to be on the lot and not in the dealership.

supra 0403.jpg

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
plus the 4 cyl. is not popular.
Foresight into the 4 banger Supra? :p

Not so obvious if you're shopping for a Supra on Autotrader. For the 1st time since dealers were stocked on '20s, a search on this site for new Supras yields less than the 1000 result max. As of this post, 977 new and 118 used Supras are listed. I am surprised to see the number still listed at well over sticker. Advertised prices on used in these listings are not slipping much. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...=derivedpriceDESC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0
What you are seeing online and what you are dealing with at the stealership is different. Many of our members are reporting around +/- $5k the MSRP on the 2020 models. They need to dump the 2020 models to make room for the upcoming 2021 models. I also bet the C8 and Corona isn't making a strong case for markups either.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
As stated above, Iā€™m getting close to $5k off a premium MSRP just by inquiring online with little to no work. Thatā€™s in Southern California where most dealers were still around msrp 2 months ago. Toyota has also offered 90 day deferred payment, but Iā€™m waiting for 0% financing or a manufacturerā€™s rebate.
Sponsored

Last edited: