Toyota Supra Connect issues

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Some of the other functions still seem to work like location tracking and flashing headlights.
Guess just have to wait for whoever Toyota/ BMW to fix.
Sponsored

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Some of the other functions still seem to work like location tracking and flashing headlights.
Guess just have to wait for whoever Toyota/ BMW to fix.
Location works? My location still shows car's location on the day of the update (which was miles away from home). This new app has been a total disaster.

cntrvslbrs

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vangloriousmusic.com
Car(s)
21' Supra 3.0, 23' Z Perf, 14' Toyota 86
Location works? My location still shows car's location on the day of the update (which was miles away from home). This new app has been a total disaster.
My location works but I do notice that unless the car is being driven, it won't tell you the fuel level w/ updated date. It'll remain the same. Will test that when i'm back home.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Agree if it ain't broke don't fix it!
I mean it was working for me fine before anyway.

Have you tried refreshing location in the App?
You can force it to find its current location, takes a few seconds.

TurboTime

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra 3.0 Pro
Android: Tracking works, lock, unlock, vent & lights but unless you run the app whilst the car has ignition is on it will not populate the fuel & mileage even though the phone is connected to the car. This is reflected in the "Updated from vehicle **/**/**". This kinda makes sense from the phones point of view as the app isn't running or is in the background. Makes that feature a bit unless as you need to run the app whilst departing the car when you might as well look at the remain fuel on the dash.

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal
Has anyone tried the My BMW app to see if it works and works better?

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Has anyone tried the My BMW app to see if it works and works better?
Before getting my Supra I had an M135i with the newer idrive 7 and that worked fine when they released the Newer My BMW app.
Originally used to use Connected Drive before and they they released a whole new app identical ish to the new update we have now.

Only issues I had was trying to setup Alexa with the new App but was all fixed after the Car updated.

I don’t think the Supra works with a BMW account as it needs the VIN to be BMW registered.

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal
Before getting my Supra I had an M135i with the newer idrive 7 and that worked fine when they released the Newer My BMW app.
Originally used to use Connected Drive before and they they released a whole new app identical ish to the new update we have now.

Only issues I had was trying to setup Alexa with the new App but was all fixed after the Car updated.

I don’t think the Supra works with a BMW account as it needs the VIN to be BMW registered.
I started it and it read “Remove from other BMW ID. This vehicle is linked to another BMW ID.” I think it may work I just didn’t click ok yet.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
I started it and it read “Remove from other BMW ID. This vehicle is linked to another BMW ID.” I think it may work I just didn’t click ok yet.
Oh didn't think it would to be honest as the VIN numbers are completely different over here anyway.
If you give it a go let us know what happens lol.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah was thinking of trying the other app as well since the Supra Connect App doesn't work at all when you use Car Play.

If anyone gets it to work on the BMW one lemme know.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah was thinking of trying the other app as well since the Supra Connect App doesn't work at all when you use Car Play.

If anyone gets it to work on the BMW one lemme know.
Yeah, they really fucked the pooch with this one. It was fine, now it's trash.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah, they really fucked the pooch with this one. It was fine, now it's trash.
What's crazy is the app is super basic. Not like we have remote start.

I don't know if on toyota's end they have to rely on BMW sourcing the updates to them cause the Toyota App for their other cars works just fine it seems.

Shoulda just made it so we either use BMW's native app or the Toyota App. :(

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal

I don't know if on toyota's end they have to rely on BMW sourcing the updates to them cause the Toyota App for their other cars works just fine it seems.

Shoulda just made it so we either use BMW's native app or the Toyota App. :(
True story!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So - sorta, but also, not really.

I'm trying to imagine designing this whole thing from scratch (as a software engineer) and there are plenty of gotchas. Auth, but also auth tied to VIN, dealing with the car's SIM, the car phoning home, It's actually two-way comms, the car sends and receives data. All of the weird state machine mechanics, the app (or at least server infrastructure) is global in some capacity, there are issues there. The supra allows for multiple BTLE devices to be connected at once. Power management at the vehicle, not all BT connections are BTLE, some are full power BT 2/3. Some sort of PoBTLE/PoBT that might translate into turning on systems at the car level.

Not to mention the team that built the app is most certainly not the team that built the ECU, which is not the team that programmed the ECU (multiple vehicles share that ECU), locality regulations around data broadcasting, GDPR shit to deal with for EU cars.

At least those are the things I thought of just now. There's probably a billion more that I didn't.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
Looks like Toyota released an update to the App the other day and seems to be back working now.

Although it defaults to US Gallons for Fuel level, and I'm sure it was on Litres beforehand...
And can't seem to change it.
Sponsored