Toyota Supra will have DCT & expect production car in Fall of 2018

Manual lovers, will you settle for a DCT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
With all the silence and lack of news these days. Anyone else think Toyota is scrambling to add a manual transmission?
Seriously doubt it. They're a very stubborn bunch who build exactly what they want but not necessarily what vocal enthusiast want.

Just look at how the 86 situation turned out. From the start there was a huge backlash clamoring for more power that was met with BS excuses: a turbo won't fit, we'd have to completely re-engineer the whole car if we gave it more power, etc.

Now the cycle repeats itself with the Supra: our internal data says no one wants a manual, the car has too much power so a manual will feel worse, yadda yadda yadda.

Lack of a manual will be the MKV's Achilles heel just like lack of power and ridiculous torque dip are synonymous with the 86*. Especially if the Z4 some how has a 6 speed option.

*I love my BRZ but that's the general perception I see from non owners.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
With all the silence and lack of news these days. Anyone else think Toyota is scrambling to add a manual transmission?
Imagine if it were that easy to make Toyota understand.. lol. It took them countless years of journalists accusing them of making appliances that they actually started making somewhat decent stuff that only looked ok.. not drive cause it still used sub par power plants. Now they are at BMW begging for a motor cause enthusiasts wanted that.. lol.. why not beg for a transmission too and all of their safety tech. If the entire motor is BMW.. why not use all of their safety tech as well. Why try to use Toyota stuff just for that and say oh.. itā€™s too expensive to retrofit it to work with a manual. Just plain stupidity.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Just plain stupidity.
Toyota have stopped being innovative (IMO), here's my reason why:

In the 80's/90's Toyota really pushed with innovation, new concepts, new designs etc. They really went outside of their comfort zones to try new things. In that day and age sales simply didn't happen at the magnitude that they were hoping for. However what did happen was a legacy was born - REALIABILITY, STRENGTH, MILEAGE & more - eg.

Camry/Corolla - Mileage & reliability.
Hilux - Strength & Reliability - - Topgear made popular
Supra - Reliability, Strength, Speed - F&F made popular
AE86 - Doesn't need to be explained, became popular from Initial D & it's a great car all round.

We then have the Celica, MR2 etc.

All of these cars IMO really shined in the 80's and 90's. It simply gave Toyota an excellent reputation & their legacy was born.

Lets now look at what Toyota has been doing - Toyota has been building hybrids for the last 10 years. At Geneva motor show they were focused on 'selling more hybrids' & exceeding 2017's sales specifically by focusing on hybrid technology. fast-track to 2018, we've got Tesla who comes out of no where and produces an all-electric car.

I would have expected Toyota to go down the route of an all-electric vehicle long before Tesla, they certainly have the funds and the ability to R&D into this field with some excellent engineers available to them.

So all in all my thoughts is that Toyota is simply milking their legacy out of every penny. Innovation has gone out the window and their primary focus are now shareholders and numbers - classical corporate bullshit.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota that had a passion died in the 90s. Now they act like they care.. which is more frustrating than when they didnā€™t pretend. Over stylized Lexus cars with slow crappy motors (reliable but not inspiring to drive) to obsolete trucks and SUVs, they will soon go down if they keep this up. Only segment they keep up in are Midsize cars, trucks and small SUVs.

Anything that really made who Toyota is today are neglected, body on frame trucks are ignored, sports cars are ignored..

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fair point.. and I agree with you that it wonā€™t change anything. But this is a forum thatā€™s discussing what Toyota is doing and people can voice their opinions here about things that are positive and negative.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anything you like about Toyota?
A lot actually.. thatā€™s why Iā€™m upset a company with such financial might and know how itā€™s screwing something that used to define them.

MKIVs of the 90s, UCF10 and 20 LS400s, legendary Land cruisers, Cressidas, ISF, GSF and even the current 8th gen Camry are nice vehicles.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
A lot actually.. thatā€™s why Iā€™m upset a company with such financial might and know how itā€™s screwing something that used to define them.

MKIVs of the 90s, UCF10 and 20 LS400s, legendary Land cruisers, Cressidas, ISF, GSF and even the current 8th gen Camry are nice vehicles.
Jdmuscle is right...Toyota has soooo much money at their disposal, I still don't understand the need to collaborate with Subaru and BMW on sports cars. They developed the RC-F which is a perfect platform for a 2-door 4-seater Supra. Just add different skin, a turbo motor from the parts bin, and a cheaper interior and you have a fantastic Supra successor. The whole "needs to be an inline six" philosophy was blown way out of proportion. People wanted a 2JZ successor, not just an inline six. Had anyone known that a BMW collaboration was in the works, I guarantee you everyone would have stood against it. There is more to this collaboration than what Toyota is telling us, probably more politics than they would care to divulge.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Everyone here keeps mentioning how much money Toyota has and how they should do this or that.

They have a ton of money precisely because they don't cater to a vocal minority of enthusiasts who believe their point of view is the right/majority point of view on the subject.

This Supra probably cost them VERY little to make precisely because BMW supplied the bones, which is why it'll exist in the first place. I don't remember enthusiasts saving the MKIV even though it had all the bells and whistles y'all are demanding in the MKV.

Last edited:

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Everyone here keeps mentioning how much money Toyota has and how they should do this or that.

They have a ton of money precisely because they don't cater to a vocal minority of enthusiasts who believe their point of view is the right/majority point of view on the subject.

This Supra probably cost them VERY little to make precisely because BMW supplied the bones, which is why it'll exist in the first place. I don't remember enthusiasts saving the MKIV even though it had all the bells and whistles y'all are demanding in the MKV.
If you had a brighter outlook of positivity and hopefulness in life much less this forum. I'm sure you be blessed with a better car than a Corolla.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
If you had a brighter outlook of positivity and hopefulness in life much less this forum. I'm sure you be blessed with a better car than a Corolla.
The corolla (free) was the best car for me as I just graduated grad school and started my career. Thank you for the attempted insult though. I have no shame in driving a corolla which is why I listed it here.

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Jdmuscle is right...Toyota has soooo much money at their disposal, I still don't understand the need to collaborate with Subaru and BMW on sports cars. They developed the RC-F which is a perfect platform for a 2-door 4-seater Supra. Just add different skin, a turbo motor from the parts bin, and a cheaper interior and you have a fantastic Supra successor. The whole "needs to be an inline six" philosophy was blown way out of proportion. People wanted a 2JZ successor, not just an inline six. Had anyone known that a BMW collaboration was in the works, I guarantee you everyone would have stood against it. There is more to this collaboration than what Toyota is telling us, probably more politics than they would care to divulge.
If Toyota were to use its own platform than it would have been most likely be the GA-L which also underpins the new LC, LS & Crown, and not that dated Frankenstein match up they used for the RC.

I have a few ideas on why they do these team ups. Obviously one would be to just save money. Another reason I believe is because they are focusing more on Lexus while sadly neglecting Toyota sport cars.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
If Toyota were to use its own platform than it would have been most likely be the GA-L which also underpins the new LC, LS & Crown, and not that dated Frankenstein match up they used for the RC.

I have a few ideas on why they do these team ups. Obviously one would be to just save money. Another reason I believe is because they are focusing more on Lexus while sadly neglecting Toyota sport cars.
I agree, Toyota is heavily investing in the Lexus brand. In the end though, all Toyota and Lexus cars are under the Toyota umbrella, and sourcing engineering, parts, and manufacturing would be much easier than going with BMW across the pond. I know there were probably some politics involved dealing with trade between BMW and Toyota on Hybrid system and such, but a Supra should not have been the "byproduct" of that trade deal. Maybe an updated GT-86, or a MR-2 successor, but a Supra should have been 100% Toyota. Most of what makes Lexus cars so pricey is the creature comforts....the base foundation of Lexus cars are well within affordable range. I'm saying keep the core components there, and give us less "cushiness" and "20-way adjustable seats" and I am sure a successor to the MKIV Supra would have been very possible and still affordable. The V8 engine out of the RC-F is more expensive than the V6 TT out of the LS500. Had Toyota just given us a rear-wheel drive platform, TT V6, and new skin....I just know they would have had a winner. Nissan easily did it with the R35 GT-R and the "front mid-ship" platform and a V6 TT.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.