Toyota Supra will have DCT & expect production car in Fall of 2018

Manual lovers, will you settle for a DCT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've never intentionally mislead anyone here, but those supplying the first hand information can always manipulate it as they see fit. In this case, I never felt that way but tried to be careful so that it wouldn't come back to haunt me.

That said, as we all know things change and there's miscommunication too. All you can do is try to read between the lines and end up on the right side.

Well, I never said it was intentional on your part, but engineers and developers knowing you post here can easily start a ruckus and make low expectations on the people who would buy it, only to exceed them.

So, they could use you as a, PR agent of sorts. I do not mind about the manual, I just know it effect others looking for that experience and I highly doubt Tada would forgo it

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z4, please tell me the direction each is aiming for.

"Mr. Tada: Toyota wants to make Supra a pure sports car, and BMW is thinking of making [the] Z4 a luxury sports car, each aiming for the best of each other."

I do find it ironic that Toyota's version will be the 'pure sports car' without a manual option and the BMW luxury sports car version will have one.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Ha ha that does seem ironic, suspect the Z4 will have alot more creature conforts, adding weight and a soft ride etc...

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Supra and Z4, please tell me the direction each is aiming for.

"Mr. Tada: Toyota wants to make Supra a pure sports car, and BMW is thinking of making [the] Z4 a luxury sports car, each aiming for the best of each other."

I do find it ironic that Toyota's version will be the 'pure sports car' without a manual option and the BMW luxury sports car version will have one.

Imagine BMWs face when they realize the Z4's counterpart is The Ultimate Driving Machine:rofl:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I'm sure the manual from the new Z4 and the m4s will bolt right in, but good luck keeping the software happy. Maybe a full ecu swap from a Z4 will do it. Hopefully they will roll a proper manual out themselves though. Z4s aren't exactly super common at the local boneyards and the engine import market from Germany is only a shadow of the industry that brings motors and swaps in from Japan.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Thanks SupraFiend that is approx what I remembered and alot of money back then given average salaries 20yrs ago. By comparison today a Lexus RCF in top trim (carbon fibre roof/TVD/carbon fiber active rear spoler etc) MSRP is $94,800 CND (less discounts) Any guess on where the new Supra in top trim will be priced CND ?

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Thanks SupraFiend that is approx what I remembered and alot of money back then given average salaries 20yrs ago. By comparison today a Lexus RCF in top trim (carbon fibre roof/TVD/carbon fiber active rear spoler etc) MSRP is $94,800 CND (less discounts) Any guess on where the new Supra in top trim will be priced CND ?
I've always looked at the RC as the 86s older brother

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
97-98 TTs had a reduced msrp in the US around 42-43k IIRC. My 94 had an msrp of 52K. But due to lack of sales Toyota reduced it for 97-98 model years.

Last edited:

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Honda Civic
How are you going to join a forum and not read previous discussions because you don't have time but still post walls of text with your uninformed speculation?

The new supra is expected at 45-55k with an upper trim model at 80k which will be a halo car.

If that's unaffordable for you, wait for the new 86 in 2021

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...working-new-86-sports-car-model/#.WsPGehYpCaM
I do have to apologize for my misinformation. This last week has been quite stressful, and I most certainly should not have posted what I did. I own up to screwing up, so my apologies!

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
97-98 TTs had a reduced msrp in the US around 42-43k IIRC. My 94 had an msrp of 52K. But due to lack of sales Toyota reduced it for 97-98 model years.
Thats not quite how that went down as i I recall. I know the 93 TT was about 40, plus options. Then the Yen started diving and the 93 TT was kicking serious ass in the magazine comparos. So Toyota cranked up the price. By 96 though, partially thanks to the introduction of OBD2 taking out the 6spd for a model year, sales hit an all time low (wasn't it like 600 cars for all of NA in 96?). Then they dropped the price by like 10gs for 97, and promptly got sued by all of the people who bought the 96s and earlier I believe. So I don't recall if they put the price back up for 98 or if we never got the price drop in Canada, but that car was definitely 80 grand in 98. Which at the shitty exchange rate at the time was probably about 50k usd. There might have been some dealer gouging going on back then too.

I would imagine the new car will have a model not too far off from an optioned up 370z, but maybe a halo model too like was reported.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
With all the silence and lack of news these days. Anyone else think Toyota is scrambling to add a manual transmission?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Thats not quite how that went down as i I recall. I know the 93 TT was about 40, plus options. Then the Yen started diving and the 93 TT was kicking serious ass in the magazine comparos. So Toyota cranked up the price. By 96 though, partially thanks to the introduction of OBD2 taking out the 6spd for a model year, sales hit an all time low (wasn't it like 600 cars for all of NA in 96?). Then they dropped the price by like 10gs for 97, and promptly got sued by all of the people who bought the 96s and earlier I believe. So I don't recall if they put the price back up for 98 or if we never got the price drop in Canada, but that car was definitely 80 grand in 98. Which at the shitty exchange rate at the time was probably about 50k usd. There might have been some dealer gouging going on back then too.

I would imagine the new car will have a model not too far off from an optioned up 370z, but maybe a halo model too like was reported.
Just looked up the National. My 95 NA had a 41k msrp and my TT had a base msrp of 45,200 and went to 49230 plus a 395 destination. Almost 50k msrp

There were cars at dealerships for over a year without selling. Dealership I used to work at around 02-03 had one on the show room floor for almost 1.5yrs before it sold. 96, they couldn’t get the V160 cars to pass some fed regulations etc or something to that extent. it was a mutt year where the cars looked like 93-95 but had OBD2 and only in auto for TT models. Numbers sold were very low from 96-98.

97-98 they dropped the msrp by 10k to get rid of all the remaining cars they had imported already IIRC.. even then the cars didn’t really sell to Toyota’s satisfaction. One, lack of inventory and two, car was already in the market for 5yrs at that point.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
With all the silence and lack of news these days. Anyone else think Toyota is scrambling to add a manual transmission?
Seriously, I only visit this forum in hopes to see some positive news about a manual, otherwise I have really lost any interest in buying an automatic car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.