Toyota Supra will have DCT & expect production car in Fall of 2018

Manual lovers, will you settle for a DCT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree, Toyota is heavily investing in the Lexus brand. In the end though, all Toyota and Lexus cars are under the Toyota umbrella, and sourcing engineering, parts, and manufacturing would be much easier than going with BMW across the pond. I know there were probably some politics involved dealing with trade between BMW and Toyota on Hybrid system and such, but a Supra should not have been the "byproduct" of that trade deal. Maybe an updated GT-86, or a MR-2 successor, but a Supra should have been 100% Toyota. Most of what makes Lexus cars so pricey is the creature comforts....the base foundation of Lexus cars are well within affordable range. I'm saying keep the core components there, and give us less "cushiness" and "20-way adjustable seats" and I am sure a successor to the MKIV Supra would have been very possible and still affordable. The V8 engine out of the RC-F is more expensive than the V6 TT out of the LS500. Had Toyota just given us a rear-wheel drive platform, TT V6, and new skin....I just know they would have had a winner. Nissan easily did it with the R35 GT-R and the "front mid-ship" platform and a V6 TT.
Didn't all the Toyota Engineers upgraded to Lexus?

Including the supra engineerS? That should tell you the amount of effor they spent to differentiate the brand from boring to fun.

I am content right now with the supra, but for future releases, work on crafting a true Inline 6 done by Toyota and only Toyota. I rather they absolve the cost so it's a low risk venture, get warm reviews and give a small, sly wink saying hey, now that we've got your attetnion, wait for the next-gen, where we can now invest fully without breaking demands for would be buyers.
Sponsored

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I agree, Toyota is heavily investing in the Lexus brand. In the end though, all Toyota and Lexus cars are under the Toyota umbrella, and sourcing engineering, parts, and manufacturing would be much easier than going with BMW across the pond. I know there were probably some politics involved dealing with trade between BMW and Toyota on Hybrid system and such, but a Supra should not have been the "byproduct" of that trade deal. Maybe an updated GT-86, or a MR-2 successor, but a Supra should have been 100% Toyota. Most of what makes Lexus cars so pricey is the creature comforts....the base foundation of Lexus cars are well within affordable range. I'm saying keep the core components there, and give us less "cushiness" and "20-way adjustable seats" and I am sure a successor to the MKIV Supra would have been very possible and still affordable. The V8 engine out of the RC-F is more expensive than the V6 TT out of the LS500. Had Toyota just given us a rear-wheel drive platform, TT V6, and new skin....I just know they would have had a winner. Nissan easily did it with the R35 GT-R and the "front mid-ship" platform and a V6 TT.
Agree 100%. I love inline 6s, I firmly believe they are the best engine design period (when things like simplicity, reliability, and smoothness are considered, and packaging constraints aren't as important). However, I would happily trade the new Supra having an inline 6 to get the entire car be built by Toyota. With the 86 it made sense as Toyoda san had just taken the reigns of the company and was in a rush to get a sports car to market. The route they took with the 86 was the quickest and most efficient to built the vehicle they wanted, and they most certainly had no platform the right scale for that car. And at the end of the day, at least the whole thing was Japanese and Toyota owns a piece of Fuji, and all the bits Subaru screws up or knows nothing about Toyota built. But the new supra is literally just the new Z4 M coupe. I love the styling, but lack of manual and Toyota DNA leaves me cold. And as for timeline, it makes no sense either. They said they literally burned 2 years just figuring out how to even work with BMW. They could have given us a Lexus based Supra eons ago.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
They said they literally burned 2 years just figuring out how to even work with BMW. They could have given us a Lexus based Supra eons ago.
Exactly! Alot of people overlook this and assume, "it's ok, they got over it and things are back on track." NO!!! There are HUGE cultural differences between Germans and the Japanese....these cultural differences resonate down to their engineering principles and methodologies. Telling a German engineer you are not 100% satisfied with his work, he will shrug his shoulders and tell you to go p*ss-off whether you like it or not. Tell a Japanese engineer you are not satisfied with his work, and he will probably redo his work 30 times over until you are 110% satisfied. Ask me how I know this :D....I've dealt with both German and Japanese engineers and I absolutely love the Japanese work ethic and mentality when it comes to engineering...literally, the relentless pursuit of perfection.

My point is, the MKIV Supra was great because the people who built it, were all on the same page and followed the same work ethic and philosophy. When you bring in German engineers with dominant "my way or the highway" perspectives, you get unfavorable results....again, ask me how I know this. There is a very good reason most (if not all) best business practices in production, engineering, etc... all originate from the Japanese (Kaizen, KanBan, etc...).

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Didn't all the Toyota Engineers upgraded to Lexus?

Including the supra engineerS? That should tell you the amount of effor they spent to differentiate the brand from boring to fun.

I am content right now with the supra, but for future releases, work on crafting a true Inline 6 done by Toyota and only Toyota. I rather they absolve the cost so it's a low risk venture, get warm reviews and give a small, sly wink saying hey, now that we've got your attetnion, wait for the next-gen, where we can now invest fully without breaking demands for would be buyers.
If this car makes some money for the shareholders, I don't think they're going to want to throw more money into development for its own inline 6 for a future Supra unless it will be shared with multiple vehicles including Lexus just because of 'reputation'. If this was the case they would have done it for the upcoming Supra. If Toyota is ok with it having a BMW engine no matter what you or I say, Toyota will do what they want (unfortunately).

But they def. lost an opportunity here of taking advantage at the fact that Lexus is trying its hardest to lift their Sporty image and Toyota is trying to resurrect the Supra name. They could have developed an all new light scalable platform to use for all their new/future coupe sports cars and develop a nice TT V6 or TT inline 6 to share with the Supra and any other Lexus F Sports car and split the costs. I still don't get it but I'm not in those positions making those decisions.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
... and develop a nice TT V6 or TT inline 6 to share with the Supra and any other Lexus F Sports car and split the costs.
They did.

ls-500-v6-engine.jpg

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/first-somewhat-brief-drive-lexus-ls-500

"We told you about the basics of the LS last week. But here’s a brief recap: It comes with only a V6 -- no V8, but the V6 is better than the V8 by almost every metric. The 3.5-liter longitudinally mounted twin-turbo DOHC V6 makes more power and torque across a wider band than the previous V8, all while spewing fewer emissions. The gasoline, non-hybrid V6 makes 416 hp and 442-lb-ft of torque, while the hybrid cranks out 354 combined hp. The biggest difference with the non-hybrid vs. the old V8 is the torque from 1,800 to 4,000 rpm, which is prodigious. Zero to 60 comes up in 4.6 seconds in the RWD LS 500 and 5.1 seconds in the hybrid."

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They did.

ls-500-v6-engine.jpg

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/first-somewhat-brief-drive-lexus-ls-500

"We told you about the basics of the LS last week. But here’s a brief recap: It comes with only a V6 -- no V8, but the V6 is better than the V8 by almost every metric. The 3.5-liter longitudinally mounted twin-turbo DOHC V6 makes more power and torque across a wider band than the previous V8, all while spewing fewer emissions. The gasoline, non-hybrid V6 makes 416 hp and 442-lb-ft of torque, while the hybrid cranks out 354 combined hp. The biggest difference with the non-hybrid vs. the old V8 is the torque from 1,800 to 4,000 rpm, which is prodigious. Zero to 60 comes up in 4.6 seconds in the RWD LS 500 and 5.1 seconds in the hybrid."
I would love to have a MKV Supra with that engine, an auto from a GS-F or manual trans, a torque vectoring LSD from RC-F, and the body of an FT-1. 100% JDM and 100% Toyota!

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
If that is true, I agree its hard to understand, especially when it would seem cost effective to share costs with Lexus, plus from a cultural point of view its odd they would partner with any external partner let alone BMW. However there must more to it, and while we have heard the relationship between Lexus/Toyota is not good, we dont really know that for sure...

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have a MKV Supra with that engine, an auto from a GS-F or manual trans, a torque vectoring LSD from RC-F, and the body of an FT-1. 100% JDM and 100% Toyota!
Just the sound of that was amazing... but we know that won’t happen.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Huh? What is your definition of a “true Supra” ?
A 100% JDM Toyota Supra! Engineered by Toyota, built by Toyota....in Japan! That is a true Supra!

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Welcome to the big leagues my friend....if Toyota is not going to build a true Supra, then don’t build it at all!
Or we can get a $50k Supra and for around $10k do a 2JZ swap and sell back that B58 to a Bimmer fanboy thats on his 3 motor. Use the rest of the savings for a nice down payment on a second house/rental property.

A 100% JDM Toyota Supra! Engineered by Toyota, built by Toyota....in Japan! That is a true Supra!
But with a speed 6 tranny from Germany. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.