Toyota Supra will have DCT & expect production car in Fall of 2018

Manual lovers, will you settle for a DCT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
I was hoping for the ZF8 transmission if it was going to be auto only...DCT- Iā€™m out!

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Transmission in the current Z4 35is / M3 / M4 / M5 (that will be probably carried out to the Supra) is the Getrag 7DCI700.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Holy fcuk.. they weren't kidding.....
View attachment 6349

Right now, i just see another rumor going around like the others (e.g "my uncles cousin from iowa, knew a guy from Toledo, who said his cousin was in japan, and saw a girl talking to a guy in a Toyota shirt, who's niece also works in the company store, and she said it was coming four days after the last day of tomorrows winter")

The only official discussion from toyota yet - Where @ToyotaGB officially said.....

"We think hearing that the road Supra will be revealed in the first half of next year might be of interest!"

-Clearly they have been briefed on the car, and know when to expect its delivery. But all is not as it seems
-"First half" in sales almost always mean the later part - I.e "half" - Mid year year 2019.
-"Reveal" just means reveal only, and based on previous car launches, its at best 3 months past that, more likly 6 before you can see an export version available for purchase
- I would have picked the tokyo auto show to be the release, but its timing is wrong,
- So N.Y seems possible, very common place for launches, that's a year from now, and add another 3-6 months for a version you can buy.
- Normally here I would say:
- " I predict august 2019 as the approx start of purchasable dates"

But now I think I'm wrong, and toyota is deliberately trying to mislead us:
Toyota is almost certainly hyping this delay to drive demand, its the old - "Tell someone they cant have something just yet, and watch the response" trick. Remember when you were 5 and watching your mum bake cakes in the kitchen? That damn mixing bowl just sitting there full of chocolate ? ... "You cant have it yet!!, the cakes not ready!!!"... how long was that delay? 99% of people respond with - "I'm a 5 year old - how DARE you tell me to wait woman!!!! give me the damn bowl now!!!". Toyota is banking on this impulsive primitive instinct I think....

So maybe things are much closer to production than we think. Toyota just doesn't want us to know that, because it wants us in a tantrum demanding the cake bowl --> if so prepare yourself for the very common sales tactic of:
Toyota salesman: "We went out of our way just for you, and we worked so hard to get the car ready for production early <cough cough>....."
Toyota salesman: "But demand is much higher than anticipated, there is no cars available for sale at present <cough cough>"
Toyota salesman: "Of course, we are still accelerating production to try and meet our customers needs...<cough cough>"
Toyota salesman: "But even so, production just cant meet the overwhelming demand <cough lol cough>"
Toyota salesman:
"Now - We do have a huge waiting list, but its 2 years at present <cough lol cough> "
Toyota salesman: "So - The best thing to do is to get your name and 20% deposit down now, let me just check with my manager to see if you qualify for it" <appears goes to talk to manager, in actual fact goes to get a coffee for 10 minutes and see if there is a car out back>
Toyota salesman: "<On return>.. ... OMG this never happens......by shear luck, we have had a cancellation, you can have a car within 2-3 months!!! what an amazing opportunity, AND with all these limited special one time offers!!! I wish I could get this level of personal emoji-fish embroidery on my under-car boot lining!!!! "
Another negative shot against Toyota, the car isnt even built yet, give it a chance :)

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
misleading. More like Road version displayed during fall. Dont get your hopes up. A lot of fans have been waiting and surely enough will be disappointed
I think don't think its misleading. I'm sure that most understand that if we have a 2018 fall debut that sales won't start for at least a few months later in 2019. We have been told by insider for awhile that it was going to be sold in 2019 as a 2020 year model.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Did he (or some other member) also say something along the lines of production version displayed at the New York Auto Show (they said they had credible sources)?

Logically, automakers would present the production vehicle to auto shows months in advance prior to production. If production were to be realistically initiated at the fall season, production vehicle should have been shown by now.
By taking a look a the auto show calendar, the next major auto will be the Paris Auto show. That isnt until October 2018

I am not trying to be a debbie downer or anything, but I had my fair share of being Blue Balled by toyota.

Dont get your hopes up.
That was a story posted by MotorTrend.

A70TTR has been pretty accurate. Last fall he said it wasn't going to be shown in Tokyo and that Geneva was where we were going to see something. As a bonus he said it wasn't the production version, but another concept like the FT-86 II. Paraphrasing, because I'm not going through all 700+ of his post lol.

Suprame

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'91 NSX
thanks for the post of the interview. i really hope they put a 6-speed getrag tranny in there.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.