OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Bump for update on 9/17/22. Placed large order of parts for the car and updated the "on deck" list. Removed some rambling language related to topics that added little value.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wow 🤩 Impressed with all your research and gusto to get er dun! Mine will be very similar (still in the shop) - as I bought it for short daily commute and track days. Appreciate sharing your updates and progress 👍🏼

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Wow 🤩 Impressed with all your research and gusto to get er dun! Mine will be very similar (still in the shop) - as I bought it for short daily commute and track days. Appreciate sharing your updates and progress 👍🏼
Thanks man! I appreciate it. Hopefully someone finds the information useful. I'm super excited about this next round of upgrades. Hitting "Complete Purchase" on $3155 of SPL parts was rad.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Installations scheduled/planned (all purchased minus safety gear and tires):

October (by me) - MSTv2 intake, BMS strut braces

October (local body shop) - Verus Engineering Hood Louver and Automodz duck bill spoiler

November 4th (local shop) - Evolution Racewerks ceramic-coated downpipe, Big Daddies Garage mini cats, and Doteki billet aluminum motor mounts (race version w/ firmer insert)

November 18th (local shop) - CSG C21/11 brake pads, Motul RBF 660 brake fluid, Turner Motorsports braided brake lines, Eibach EU-spec springs, all of the SPL parts except the traction links which are already installed

Winter - Finish removing interior, racing buckets, harnesses, and roll cage (need to be able to meet SCCA safety specs to race in the Pine Mountain Hill Climb in April '23 with my brother who will be bringing his '77 280Z track car up from Tampa)

Spring - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (stock size)

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How’s the Tacoma towing it around? I know it’s not a heavy duty truck but I was considering the same combo for the future

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
How’s the Tacoma towing it around? I know it’s not a heavy duty truck but I was considering the same combo for the future
Have towed it a couple of times locally, honestly not because I needed to (yet), but I wanted to see how the Tacoma would do. I rented a lightweight car trailer. I'll say this: It's not a V8. My opinion is that it would be fine in my area (KY) and the region in general. Towing through the big boy mountains or coast-to-coast? I'd rent a V8 something or ship it. It's not that it couldn't do it, it just wouldn't be pleasant. I'm not willing to give up on the Tacoma platform because I like to do redneck truck shit, so long term I'll likely do a supercharger. The brakes on the truck are fine as are the other applicable supporting systems. It's the trash Atkinson cycle V6 Toyota decided to vomit into the engine bay rather than use the perfectly fine 4.0L V6 from the 4 Runner. I'd be very interested to see what the 4th gen Tacoma has to offer. The low-end immediate power delivery of the hybrid they're doing would be very, very attractive.

All that being said, if you're going to do it, it'd highly recommend the latest KDmax tune for the truck. It gets about as much low-end grunt out of the truck as possible. Great tune and improves drivability and towing immensely.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have towed it a couple of times locally, honestly not because I needed to (yet), but I wanted to see how the Tacoma would do. I rented a lightweight car trailer. I'll say this: It's not a V8. My opinion is that it would be fine in my area (KY) and the region in general. Towing through the big boy mountains or coast-to-coast? I'd rent a V8 something or ship it. It's not that it couldn't do it, it just wouldn't be pleasant. I'm not willing to give up on the Tacoma platform because I like to do redneck truck shit, so long term I'll likely do a supercharger. The brakes on the truck are fine as are the other applicable supporting systems. It's the trash Atkinson cycle V6 Toyota decided to vomit into the engine bay rather than use the perfectly fine 4.0L V6 from the 4 Runner. I'd be very interested to see what the 4th gen Tacoma has to offer. The low-end immediate power delivery of the hybrid they're doing would be very, very attractive.

All that being said, if you're going to do it, it'd highly recommend the latest KDmax tune for the truck. It gets about as much low-end grunt out of the truck as possible. Great tune and improves drivability and towing immensely.
Perfect exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
November 4th (local shop) - Evolution Racewerks ceramic-coated downpipe, Big Daddies Garage mini cats, and Doteki billet aluminum motor mounts (race version w/ firmer insert)

November 18th (local shop) - CSG C21/11 brake pads, Motul RBF 660 brake fluid, Turner Motorsports braided brake lines, Eibach EU-spec springs, all of the SPL parts except the traction links which are already installed
The shop called on Wednesday and cancelled Motor Mount and Downpipe Day today! It was much celebrated in my household until they unceremoniously cancelled it. First time they've ever done that. The tech that works on my car ended up going on vacation, so that's cool. It's now all being done on the 18th. I also received the MST intake and it's pretty. I'd like to throw those BMS braces on at the same time but I'll be damned if I can find the stock mounting hardware (the Cusco brace on there meow uses a different set of hardware). It'll be like driving a new car when I pick it up later this month!

Rocses

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Great build, on my first supra i went with AA catted definitely adds some noise (nothing major) and GREAT quality.

On this supra i went with armytryx catless, GREAT sound and with the Simulator no CEL.

knock on wood it's only been on for 1500 mi. BUT I PUSH THE CAR EVERYTIME I DRIVE IT LOL

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Great build, on my first supra i went with AA catted definitely adds some noise (nothing major) and GREAT quality.

On this supra i went with armytryx catless, GREAT sound and with the Simulator no CEL.

knock on wood it's only been on for 1500 mi. BUT I PUSH THE CAR EVERYTIME I DRIVE IT LOL

:thumbsup:
Thanks! Hoping for the same results. 😁
Sponsored