Understanding Engine Break In

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Since this topic is relevant to a lot of new owners here, I wanted to post Savagegeese's newest video on engine break in. It's a good video on why it's important to break in an engine properly and why driving it like you stole it right off the lot isn't a great idea.

I’m at 400 miles with mine and I’m usually 50/50 in comfort and sport mode because it sounds so good with the valves open. The only problem with that is in sport it obviously revs higher and a few times it’s gone over the 4500 rpm the manual says not to. I don’t think this will hurt it at all imo and as long as you aren’t flooring it or as you said “driving it like you stole it” you should be good. There’s plenty of people here who tracked it day one and have no issues. I’m overly cautious, I’m 21 and it’s my daily driver so I want to take REALLY good care of it and plan to change the oil at 1200 and then every 5000 which is also a bit overboard. I think 1200 miles to break it in is insane and the longest I’ve ever seen a break in period last. I wouldn’t follow the manual to a tee, while it’s over zealous to do three oil changes before the manual recommends the first there is NO WAY I would wait 10,000 miles to do the first oil change like the book says. Sure the oil is probably still good but for a performance car like this you’re asking for trouble. The metals and silicon that are common after break ins isn’t something you want floating around which is why I think you’re smart changing at 1200. Sounds like you know what you’re doing man and enjoy the car! Just know you’re gonna get a lot of different opinions in regards to this and I think the truth is somewhere in between.
Sponsored

CortC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT

Before changing oil weight or using another type of oil other than the specified GR Toyota oil watch the above video…

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I can't take anyone seriously on the technical side that's rockin a "Mun". Sorry.

Phil

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
"Back in my day" ie. the era of the musclecar, by the time an engine hit 50,000 miles it was starting to smoke and well on its way to failure. Today almost any engine will go at least 150K and many double that.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Re: viscosity, when I had Mustangs the recommended viscosity for a 5.0 Coyote was 5w-20. However, if you ordered the Track Pack it was 5w-50 for exactly the same engine.
Sponsored