US Taillights (ending WAA02) vs Foreign Market Taillights (ending WAA01)

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I'm with you on that. I do like the amber turn signals, i've always like cars that have the amber for the turn signal, all red is just boring... If this does work with the US harness, i'm all about it, sign me up! But to be totally honest, from my time at Tesla, US Model S/X do not have the amber turn signal, rather an integrated one like the Supra has. The harness is the same but the software is locked so even if you do swap it, its not plug and play. I again don't know if Toyota has done the same thing but i feel that the connector will be the same but the software is region locked as when loading on the software, it is region specific. Not to say it wont work, more that you may need to use bimmercode to unlock it. BMW is known for having all the features available, just have to unlock it.

Hope to see an update with this! I would love to have the JDM/foreign market tail lights for the Supra.
I just discovered that Toyota actually has some of these in the US distribution system (not entirely sure why), so I'm going to talk to my Supra technician, and potentially order one to "test fit."

I'll keep you guys informed.
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I just discovered that Toyota actually has some of these in the US distribution system (not entirely sure why), so I'm going to talk to my Supra technician, and potentially order one to "test fit."

Yes those ROW/JDM lights are easily ordered. Please enlighten us on the fitment and issues.

OP
OP
SD_MK

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with you on that. I do like the amber turn signals, i've always like cars that have the amber for the turn signal, all red is just boring... If this does work with the US harness, i'm all about it, sign me up! But to be totally honest, from my time at Tesla, US Model S/X do not have the amber turn signal, rather an integrated one like the Supra has. The harness is the same but the software is locked so even if you do swap it, its not plug and play. I again don't know if Toyota has done the same thing but i feel that the connector will be the same but the software is region locked as when loading on the software, it is region specific. Not to say it wont work, more that you may need to use bimmercode to unlock it. BMW is known for having all the features available, just have to unlock it.

Hope to see an update with this! I would love to have the JDM/foreign market tail lights for the Supra.
I've been researching options on bimmercode for a few days now... nothing in regards to tail lights...

OP
OP
SD_MK

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

I love you

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Hi everyone. I had a curiosity itch and wanted to ask if it's possible to obtain the European tail lights fitted on European Supras and install them on US Supras?

I like how European Supra have amber turn signals as opposed to North American Supra using the entire brake left or right brake light as a turn signal.

I saw the amber signals used for a few seconds in this video and was inspired to ask it here.
Video for reference: Video Reference

1629345948548.png

- Branden

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Any update yet?
I have a Left Hand tail lamp on order, and the ETA is 8/27 at this point. I'll let you guys know as soon as it arrives.

brz.zzz

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M4
So the JDM pins are different from the USDM. There is an extra wire likely for the illuminated side markers. Can anyone help find the plug type?

received_349885643450554.jpeg

IMG_20210826_195803_487.jpg

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
ugh I knew it. I assume the top one with 3 wires the JDM one and the bottom one with 4 wires the USD one?

The taillights i don't think would have come with that wiring harness, so did you order the harness separate or is that JDM harness pictured above one you found on a website?

I looked at the Workshop manual (https://storage.googleapis.com/a90garbage/2020 Supra Workshop Manual.pdf) but not seeing wiring schematics on there.

The easiest way to tell is if you can put a multimeter at each pin and at you should be able to find out which wire does what. (fyi- Brown wire for BMWs have almost always been for Ground, not sure if that's still the case with the new generation BMWs but it was with my M2)

So if that Blue\Brown cable is indeed for the sidemarker, then it is very possible that there is no LED chip inside that part; which would mean you'd most likely need to code the car to disable that light function to prevent an error.

I suppose we'll just have to wait for FuzzyRev85 response when they get the taillight.

Last edited:

brz.zzz

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M4
ugh I knew it. I assume the top one with 3 wires the JDM one and the bottom one with 4 wires the USD one?...
I have some friends in Japan who have supras. The top pic is the usdm. I believe japan requires the illuminated side marker in the lamp hence the extra wire. Anything brown is definitely ground on bmws as it is on my m4 too. Good thing is that coding the taillight monitoring out is pretty simple. I hope that it's using simple 12v signals and not a chip sending specific signals that I'll have to figure out...