Very Long-term Storage Question

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Looking at having to store the Supra for upwards of 2-3 years (yay Navy).

Curious if anyone has ever stored a car that long and has any advice on how to minimize corrosion and damage as well as the best way to take a car out of storage after having that much time pass.

Currently I'm planning on removing the fuel, spraying fogging oil into the motor, changing the oil, plugging up the exhaust, unplugging the battery, placing the car on jack stands, removing the wheels, and putting a cover over the car to keep dust off.

This would be the first time I've ever stored a vehicle this long so is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?

Appreciate any advice you guys got.
Sponsored

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Put a moisture pack in the interior. But it really should be changed once a year

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
For very long term storage, it's actually beneficial to get the gas tank as full as possible. Petrol is hydrophobic, and lubricating. It will actively displace water from the gas tank and prevent breakdown of the seals in the fueling system. Dose Sta-Bil into the tank according to instructions for further protection.

I would not recommend a fogging oil on GDI cars, unless you intend to spray it through the spark plug bungs into each cylinder.

Otherwise you have a pretty good list.

//edit:

If you're worried about rodents, might not be a bad idea to seal off the engine bay with butcher paper and painter's tape. Should be pretty easy to cover the wheel wells/grill/windshield ingress points.

Grubb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT (Jan/2023)
Where will it be stored? Climate controlled?

OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For very long term storage, it's actually beneficial to get the gas tank as full as possible. Petrol is hydrophobic, and lubricating. It will actively displace water from the gas tank and prevent breakdown of the seals in the fueling system. Dose Sta-Bil into the tank according to instructions for further protection.

I would not recommend a fogging oil on GDI cars, unless you intend to spray it through the spark plug bungs into each cylinder.

Otherwise you have a pretty good list.

//edit:

If you're worried about rodents, might not be a bad idea to seal off the engine bay with butcher paper and painter's tape. Should be pretty easy to cover the wheel wells/grill/windshield ingress points.

Yeah I was planning on going through the spark plug bungs. I know that fogging oil is no-bueno for things like fuel injectors.

I guess my concern with the fuel in the tank was how modern gas breaks down over time. I'm not sure if Sta-Bil would last that long, but I suppose if I was all that worried I could just de-fuel and put new fuel in.

Definitely gonna use the sealing off idea. I don't wanna take any chances since I really enjoy this car.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
When I deployed I left my cars with my father whom I trusted to drive ā€˜ā€˜em just enough to keep the seals lubricated and all systems exercised. Iā€™d recommend that over long term storage if there is someone you can trust.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Honestly, I'd pay someone for space in their garage and to take it out and drive it around for a handful of miles every month, get service done once a year, etc. I think it's a safer option, as long as it's someone you trust.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I wouldnā€™t leave it on stands that long. Itā€™s not good for the suspension bushings and Iā€™ve heard rumblings about it being bad for the frame as well, especially if your garage floor isnā€™t perfectly level. Itā€™d be better to get some cheap junkyard tires and leave it on the ground IMO.

OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wouldnā€™t leave it on stands that long. Itā€™s not good for the suspension bushings and Iā€™ve heard rumblings about it being bad for the frame as well, especially if your garage floor isnā€™t perfectly level. Itā€™d be better to get some cheap junkyard tires and leave it on the ground IMO.
Good point, I hadn't even though about that. I wonder if getting some race ramp flat stoppers would be worth a shot.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Good point, I hadn't even though about that. I wonder if getting some race ramp flat stoppers would be worth a shot.
This would be the best solution. Race Ramps Wheel Cribs would be ideal, here. Jackstand height with flat protection.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I think people over think this. Fill the tank up, cover the car up to keep the dust off and go about your life. Drain the engine oil when you get back and put fresh oil in, prime the oil system before starting and you are good to go.

I had one of my Evos sit for almost two years, even had e85 in the tank. Car started right up. I even sent the injectors out to test prior to starting it up and they passed with flying colors.

What you DO NOT WANT, as mentioned above, is the fuel system open to the air or you will have issues with the system pulling in moisture. Happened to one of my evos as we kept a fuel line undone. The fuel pump in the surge tank looked like it had been at the bottom of the sea and covered in barnacles. Learned my lesson.

OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think people over think this. Fill the tank up, cover the car up to keep the dust off and go about your life. Drain the engine oil when you get back and put fresh oil in, prime the oil system before starting and you are good to go.

I had one of my Evos sit for almost two years, even had e85 in the tank. Car started right up. I even sent the injectors out to test prior to starting it up and they passed with flying colors.

What you DO NOT WANT, as mentioned above, is the fuel system open to the air or you will have issues with the system pulling in moisture. Happened to one of my evos as we kept a fuel line undone. The fuel pump in the surge tank looked like it had been at the bottom of the sea and covered in barnacles. Learned my lesson.
Appreciate the advice. This gives me a bit more hope that it'll be fine when I get back to it.
Everything I've read on other sites makes it seem like it's doomed from the start.
Sponsored