Water Meth - Snow Vs AEM

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm in the process gathering parts for my build and upcoming tuning session. I'm looking at meth kits and there seems to only really to be main options, AEM and Snow.

I sort of like the "Sandwich" option Snow offers that fits between the Throttle body and intake. I don't know if it is worth the extra 200+ over the AEM set up.

Anyone have experience with either?

I will be running the set up with Stock turbo, Catless down pipe, and Flex kit. Yall seeing much gains with this set up?

thx,
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I can answer the question pretty well for ya though. I run meth, I run a lot of meth. 50/50 WM blend. I get plenty of octane from the meth and cooling from the water to basically run the turbo at the top of it's efficiency range (23psi). With this particular setup, you're not going to see a ton of gains on it's own, but you can push the turbo farther than you can without it.

edit:

I'm not using the throttle body spacer, I'm injecting into the charge pipe. I run two AEM 500cc injectors. I experimented with 1 500cc, 1 1000cc, and finally landed on 2x500 as the best setup for me personally. The throttle body spacer is a good solution as well. It works well and gets the meth much closer to the intake manifold.

For my particular use case, the charge pipe injection is better as the meth has a little more time to atomize. If you're looking for more of a fuel than a coolant + octane boost, throttle body is a cleaner installation.

Edit 2:

As far as snow vs. aem, the only real difference is the controller. Aem is nice and simple, and Snow is a little more flexible. I use JB4 + FSB to control my meth, but I'd go Reflex for the controller if I could flash tune.

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
what gains are you seeing with the meth on the stock turbo? curious.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
what gains are you seeing with the meth on the stock turbo? curious.
It terms of HP? I have no idea. The car has never seen a dyno.

Again, on the meth alone, probably single-digit HP, but meth gives me the ability to dial up the boost to 11 with out maxing out trims.

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I was conducting more research, and it seems that these cars do pick up decent power if you tune for 100% meth on stock turbsky.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I was conducting more research, and it seems that these cars do pick up decent power if you tune for 100% meth on stock turbsky.
Because 100% meth raises octane, which resists knock, which allows for timing advance, which allows for more power.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Because 100% meth raises octane, which resists knock, which allows for timing advance, which allows for more power.
For sure, def aware of the need of octane for timing. I was just seeing that some guys were saying water meth wasnt much of a gain or benefit on stock turbo as it is uograded turbo due to its efficiency range.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For sure, def aware of the need of octane for timing. I was just seeing that some guys were saying water meth wasnt much of a gain or benefit on stock turbo as it is uograded turbo due to its efficiency range.
Oh, yes. That's true.

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Guess I'll just do this e50 setup and wait for the bigger turbo

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Guess I'll just do this e50 setup and wait for the bigger turbo
Is honestly easier. To each their own of course, but I think W/M injection is a total pain in the ass. Nozzles. Hoses. Injection plates. Another controller. Keeping the tank full. Cranky solenoids. Blah blah. E50 is mix and go, and I can do it at a pump or be lazy and let my flex tune deal with it.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is honestly easier. To each their own of course, but I think W/M injection is a total pain in the ass. Nozzles. Hoses. Injection plates. Another controller. Keeping the tank full. Cranky solenoids. Blah blah. E50 is mix and go, and I can do it at a pump or be lazy and let my flex tune deal with it.
It's not super easy to come by though, meth is. Also, Meth + E50 is nice.

I live in Chicago, and E isn't available outside of the burbs. So it's 20-30 miles to fill up. So there are definite advantages. That all said, I like meth. It works very well for me. Additionally, I don't drive the car often and really only spray at the track, so it's not a huge deal to me either way.

Each build is different, YMMV, etc. etc.