What did you do to your Supra today?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I think all Supras got the updated BMW transponder that doesn’t stay active when not in use like previous fobs. Someone else please correct or confirm that thought.
As far as I know there are no transponders that can prevent relay-style attacks, including ours. Essentially someone takes a laptop and RF transceiver and sticks it by the window in your house, then takes a second laptop and RF transceiver and goes up to your car. The two laptops/transceivers relay all bidirectional comms between the car and the transponder, allowing the person to open the door, start the car, and drive off, all while your actual key stays in the drawer in your kitchen. It’s stupid simple to do, very fast, doesn’t require them to physically break in, bypass any alrams, or crack any encryption, and is pretty cheap.

Sticking the key in an RF blocking pouch when not in use is the only way to prevent it that I know of.

https://leasing.com/guides/relay-car-theft-what-is-it-and-how-can-you-avoid-it/

Last edited:

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I think all Supras got the updated BMW transponder that doesn’t stay active when not in use like previous fobs. Someone else please correct or confirm that thought.
Do you have any sources to validate this please?

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We have the motion sensor type key fob. It’s not a 100% fix but does help.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/moti...-fix-keyless-car-thefts-say-security-experts/
Thank you! I didn't know about this, great to see a step forward indeed.

Personally though I will keep using my pouch regardless, one because I like how it looks, keeps the key protected, and as the article says the new tech is not infallible.
Relay can even happen at a retail park not necessarily just at home hence why I have the key hidden at all times, same reason why we use rfid for card wallets as this happens frequently at airports too; can't trust anyone, certainly not insurance companies or the police to recover or replace your car...

Anyone relying on hopes and dreams to protect their car, doesn't care about losing their car after all.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
We have the motion sensor type key fob. It’s not a 100% fix but does help.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/moti...-fix-keyless-car-thefts-say-security-experts/
Not sure if it counts, got a new faraday pouch
- the brown leather-style one in the second photo was a scam on ebay, said it's rfid but tested it zipped up, and car opens and closes as if it wasn't even there at all 😡
The new scorpeon pouch works perfectly 👌 even came with 2 freebie rfid cards to put in your wallet.
As far as I know there are no transponders that can prevent relay-style attacks, including ours. Essentially someone takes a laptop and RF transceiver and sticks it by the window in your house, then takes a second laptop and RF transceiver and goes up to your car. The two laptops/transceivers relay all bidirectional comms between the car and the transponder, allowing the person to open the door, start the car, and drive off, all while your actual key stays in the drawer in your kitchen. It’s stupid simple to do, very fast, doesn’t require them to physically break in, bypass any alrams, or crack any encryption, and is pretty cheap.

Sticking the key in an RF blocking pouch when not in use is the only way to prevent it that I know of.

https://leasing.com/guides/relay-car-theft-what-is-it-and-how-can-you-avoid-it/
Great info! If I keep my key fob in the center of my house (away from windows) and in my work bag (far away from the parking garage) - will this prevent a proximity attack? Being far away from outside sources/computers? I’ll buy one of those little pouches too, just to be safe…

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great info! If I keep my key fob in my kitchen (center of my house) and in my work bag (far away from the parking garage) - will this prevent a proximity attack? Being far away from outside sources/computers? I’ll buy one of those little pouches too, just to be safe…
Unfortunately, no in my opinion, Each keyless system has a different range but it's confusing/un trust worthy.

My other daily car is keyless too, one day I was in the kitchen cooking, wife was in the yard watering plants and noticed the bloody car lights were on and it was unlocked and welcoming us, the key was in the bedroom...

Since then I'll never trust keyless again, if I could 100% disable it, I would.

According to the Supra instructions manual (see photo below) the range is quite small which is good, but I think the relay devices amplify the signals a bit like a wifi booster so that might still be a risk!
20230706_113439.jpg

They make nice faraday pouches and boxes that can be pleasant to look at and use making it less of a hassle 😀

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Unfortunately, no in my opinion, Each keyless system has a different range but it's confusing/un trust worthy.

My other daily car is keyless too, one day I was in the kitchen cooking, wife was in the yard watering plants and noticed the bloody car lights were on and it was unlocked and welcoming us, the key was in the bedroom...

Since then I'll never trust keyless again, if I could 100% disable it, I would.

According to the Supra instructions manual (see photo below) the range is quite small which is good, but I think the relay devices amplify the signals a bit like a wifi booster so that might still be a risk!
20230706_113439.jpg

They make nice faraday pouches and boxes that can be pleasant to look at and use making it less of a hassle 😀
I’ll look for those on Amazon. We keep all the keys in the laundry room in a basket. I’ll look for a box to put them in instead. And a “faraday” pouch. Never heard that term before. Wow! Learn something new every day 🤩 Thanks pal!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I’ll look for those on Amazon. We keep all the keys in the laundry room in a basket. I’ll look for a box to put them in instead. And a “faraday” pouch. Never heard that term before. Wow! Learn something new every day 🤩 Thanks pal!
Technicallllyyy... you could keep your keys in the microwave. That is a faraday cage. :p