What truck do you use for towing your Supra?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
A couple of months ago I bought a '21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road as a daily driver but also as a tow vehicle for my '21 Supra 3.0. It's not optimal, but I'm not about living that big truck V8 life. :p I was just planning on renting a light U-Haul trailer or buying an open aluminum one in the future. There's plenty of headroom for towing if going that route. May have to go more slowly, especially in hilly or mountainous terrain, but meh. The truck has been awesome in general, FWIW, from a utility and comfort perspective for all things non-Supra towing related. I'm very, very glad I bought it -and it's a bonus that my kiddo loves "daddy's cool pickup truck." :D

Please keep in mind that I answer this question not having actually towed the car with it yet, only having done the numbers if the vehicle will be capable of doing so with a light aluminum trailer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jim_Harrison

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I'm pulling mine with a 2020 GMC Sierra with 4 wheel drive. It has the 3.0 straight 6 Diesel. It has averaged 17mpg pulling my open trailer, 22mpg around town and 26 to 28 on the highway depending on the wind. 460lbs of torque it is the best Truck I've ever had.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel that doesn't even know there's a trailer with a car on it behind it. It's our tow rig for all things and does a perfect job. Love that truck.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
2021 Z71 w/ Max Towing package

1636996498739.jpeg

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.
small but has enough torque to pull.
enclosed 3.5T trailer.

FaithMartin

First Name
Faith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
I recommend you choose a Tacoma; you will not regret it. I don't often need a truck for re-marking, and even if I do, I use the truck from Amazon that I work on. It is not like Tacoma, but in some situations, it is needed, and I have to use it. Why don't I get a tow truck too? Because on truckinginsurance.org, I found the steps for Truck Driver Insurance and why I should get another insurance for another truck if it exists. Everything is simpler than it seems, lol.

Last edited:

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
You can add pedal commander to your Tacoma to give it better throttle and power delivery. I have this on my Modded FJ cruiser with 37s. It adds a Sport and Sport Plus option.
tempImagenovPJC.jpg
tempImageZINgMs.jpg

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
I'm going to start tracking my car once I move and I was wondering what truck everyone uses for towing. I would prefer a Tacoma as I hate driving large vehicles so I'd rather not buy a Tundra. Anyone towing their cars with a V6 or is a V8 pretty much a necessity?
I have a Tacoma and while I haven't towed the Supra with it yet, I am slowly gearing my Taco to do just that.

Like you said, an aluminum trailer is key as our Payload/Towing Capacity isn't that great. A steel 2000lb 16 foot flat deck trailer is ACCEPTABLE, but saving approx 900-1000lbs via an aluminum open deck trailer is major for towing with Tacoma.

Weight distributing hitch is a minimum for loads 3500lbs and over (and probably legally required in most states, although you'll see plenty of people ignoring that) and the Supra itself is ~3400lbs. Trailer brake controller is also a minimum. Tacoma specific mods would be some sort of leaf spring assist or swap out the leaf springs entirely as the leafs in Tacomas sag pretty bad with weight, and we are trying to put as much weight on the front wheels as possible. This can be done via airbags (very popular, but still all the problems with airbags) or some sort of leaf spring "helper" which is a product like the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) system (higher initial cost).

Focus less on the towing capacity number and more on the PAYLOAD number; this thread was a great resource (I, myself, have a 2nd gen, so someone with a 3rd gen this might not be as useful)

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-tacoma-towing-bible.4031/

Are full size trucks/SUV's going to tow easier? Absolutely.

Can the Tacoma do it? If you pay attention to stated ratings, don't overload, get a weight distributing hitch, and a trailer brake controller then absolutely, and for the 99% of the time you are not towing it's a lot easier to live with (depending on your location/lifestyle).

Note: I'm fairly sure all Tacoma owners manuals state to manually shift 1 gear under the highest gear (for 2nd gen, take away 5th and put it in 4) as to try and manage trans temps.
Sponsored

Last edited: