What mph do you run in the half mile?

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
I’m doing my first half mile event this weekend with Omega Motorsport in Gila Bend, AZ. I searched but didn’t see any threads specific to half mile racing here.

What kinda mph are you guys running in the 1/2? I’m expecting mid-high 160’s with my current setup but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a 170mph pass.
Sponsored

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I’m doing my first half mile event this weekend with Omega Motorsport in Gila Bend, AZ. I searched but didn’t see any threads specific to half mile racing here.

What kinda mph are you guys running in the 1/2? I’m expecting mid-high 160’s with my current setup but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a 170mph pass.
What mods do you have done?

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
What mods do you have done?
Power wise…pure800, hks filter, port injection w/reflex, aa catless dp, pure drivetrain solutions stage 1 trans, tuned on ecutek.

Reactions: DvC

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
What WHP is your setup? In my experience 170's takes an honest 700WHP, minimum, but there are a lot of factors to consider. If you have any 1/4 mile data you can take the back half MPH gain and add that to your 1/4 mile trap to get a rough guesstimate.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Cobra and 1998 Eclipse GSX.
I agree with AHP. I made a bit over 700whp in a heavier and not as aerodynamic car and was hitting low 160's. I'd say you'd need mid to high 700whp to achieve a 170mph. But of course, lots of other factors to account for; tires, weather, etc. Please post up what you run after!

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
I heard you ran 171 from my buddies at CSG.. nice.. Congratulations on hitting that goal.
Thanks! I was pretty stoked especially with it being my first time. First run of the day was 171.3, backed up by another 171.3 later in the day.

Traction was a major issue throughout the day. I left the drag pack at home since I’m on stock axles and didn’t wanna end up stranded in Arizona. I was running 285/35/r19 R888R’s. Given the lack of prep on the track, I likely could’ve gotten away with using the drag pack, but it just wasn’t worth the risk to me. Hopefully I have dss axles next go around.

I believe there’s a few more mph on the table with the current setup as is. Can’t wait to go back!

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the 170+ curious to know what this setup dynos for comparison's sake. Any Dragy data from the event?

The NFZ events used to be a rolling start with a good amount of rollout before breaking the beams but I think they changed the format to a standing start? Strong runs either way. I miss 1/2 mile racing; all of the East coast events dried up after WGF shut down.

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Congrats on the 170+ curious to know what this setup dynos for comparison's sake. Any Dragy data from the event?

The NFZ events used to be a rolling start with a good amount of rollout before breaking the beams but I think they changed the format to a standing start? Strong runs either way. I miss 1/2 mile racing; all of the East coast events dried up after WGF shut down.
I was more focused on data logging for my tuner than messing with the dragy. Maybe next time when I run with better traction. The car should put down around 700whp.

And yeah NFZ is a standing start now, which is nice since it keeps it a true 1/2 mile.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was more focused on data logging for my tuner than messing with the dragy. Maybe next time when I run with better traction. The car should put down around 700whp.

And yeah NFZ is a standing start now, which is nice since it keeps it a true 1/2 mile.

Understandable -- 1/2 mile data gathering is priceless. Curious how IATs looked on the big end with no cooling mods. I'd say it's every bit of 700WHP on a Dynojet. It took ~750WHP to go 171 in a less efficient car (MKIV 6sp) in fair DA. 1/2 mile is a slippery slope; I was content with mid 800's until I started running the WGF events and then things escalated dramatically..! :beer:

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Understandable -- 1/2 mile data gathering is priceless. Curious how IATs looked on the big end with no cooling mods. I'd say it's every bit of 700WHP on a Dynojet. It took ~750WHP to go 171 in a less efficient car (MKIV 6sp) in fair DA. 1/2 mile is a slippery slope; I was content with mid 800's until I started running the WGF events and then things escalated dramatically..! :beer:
As you’d expect, IAT’s were extreme on the top end. Right before crossing the line in 7th you could really feel the car start to pull power. There are definitely cooling mods coming in the near future. And I hear you on being content…after every major purchase I tell the wife “after this I’m done” haha. We all know in reality that that’s a lie.

I’m wondering if grip + cooling mods would push me to 175. I showed up to the track and my first run in 44° weather with no head wind was 171.3633. I sent logs to my tuner throughout the day and ended up running an identical time later in the day when it was about 70° with a head wind. We made three revisions throughout the day. The fact I was able to run that mph in crappier conditions 8-9 runs later leads me to believe the car has a bit more in it as is, and cooling mods would only make it far more efficient.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As you’d expect, IAT’s were extreme on the top end. Right before crossing the line in 7th you could really feel the car start to pull power. There are definitely cooling mods coming in the near future. And I hear you on being content…after every major purchase I tell the wife “after this I’m done” haha. We all know in reality that that’s a lie.

I’m wondering if grip + cooling mods would push me to 175. I showed up to the track and my first run in 44° weather with no head wind was 171.3633. I sent logs to my tuner throughout the day and ended up running an identical time later in the day when it was about 70° with a head wind. We made three revisions throughout the day. The fact I was able to run that mph in crappier conditions 8-9 runs later leads me to believe the car has a bit more in it as is, and cooling mods would only make it far more efficient.

Cooling mods should be the priority, IMO. Consistency with changing DA but more importantly safety; especially at that power on the stock block. The only time I've ever hurt a motor was getting greedy at the 1/2 mile and turning a willful blind eye to IATs. A kill-mode tune that would live 100's of passes in the 1/4 mile can be well beyond the ragged edge in the 1/2 mile due to the IATs alone, regardless of octane.

It's a fairly big leap from 171 to 175. The setup I referenced that went 171 with ~750 later that day went 176 all-in (in worsening DA) which was mid-800's on a Dynojet. Unless you're spinning past the 1/4 mile traction on the front half won't help nearly as much as you would think/expect. At this level incremental gains take tangible changes. In any event, 170's with basic off the shelf parts is damn impressive. ?

OP
OP
Zoopra

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Cooling mods should be the priority, IMO. Consistency with changing DA but more importantly safety; especially at that power on the stock block. The only time I've ever hurt a motor was getting greedy at the 1/2 mile and turning a willful blind eye to IATs. A kill-mode tune that would live 100's of passes in the 1/4 mile can be well beyond the ragged edge in the 1/2 mile due to the IATs alone, regardless of octane.

It's a fairly big leap from 171 to 175. The setup I referenced that went 171 with ~750 later that day went 176 all-in (in worsening DA) which was mid-800's on a Dynojet. Unless you're spinning past the 1/4 mile traction on the front half won't help nearly as much as you would think/expect. At this level incremental gains take tangible changes. In any event, 170's with basic off the shelf parts is damn impressive. ?
thanks man. I’m with you, cooling is absolutely a priority. It’s easy to get greedy chasing that extra mph or two especially when you’re a competitive person. It blows my mind what the b58 is capable of with relatively simple bolt ons.
Sponsored