What is an absolute needed change for time/grip track use?

deadinside

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
I don't drive the supra much on the street. I do drive to/from the track and I take out for some fun drives weekly but it's not my daily.

That said, the Club Racers aren't bad on the street. They barely make noise and not all the time. Some track pads are super annoying on the street. I would say these are the most street-friendly pads, as far as noise, that I have used. Like most track pads, they create a good amount of brake dust.

Compared to the ST47 pads I used on my Evo, which would drive me and everyone around me INSANE driving to/from the track:

I don't mean to hijack this thread but....

Can you share how you mounted your Catalyst (in your Supra, that is)? I was considering purchasing this but the benefit and drawback of the unit is the GIANT screen and our tiny windscreen real estate. Your placement looks visible, out of the way, and still usable.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but....

Can you share how you mounted your Catalyst (in your Supra, that is)? I was considering purchasing this but the benefit and drawback of the unit is the GIANT screen and our tiny windscreen real estate. Your placement looks visible, out of the way, and still usable.
Yup! I use a ProClip and the RAM mount garmin cage. The cage isn't a must have but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't fly away if I went off track.

https://www.proclipusa.com/collections/dashboard-mounts-toyota-supra-2020

https://store.windingroad.com/Garmi...ClEWSbpqnH8_J72PBHJYkbNVp4QLyABhoCNu4QAvD_BwE

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I don't drive the supra much on the street. I do drive to/from the track and I take out for some fun drives weekly but it's not my daily.

That said, the Club Racers aren't bad on the street. They barely make noise and not all the time. Some track pads are super annoying on the street. I would say these are the most street-friendly pads, as far as noise, that I have used. Like most track pads, they create a good amount of brake dust.

Compared to the ST47 pads I used on my Evo, which would drive me and everyone around me INSANE driving to/from the track:

This looks like a fun car to drive on the track!

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Semi related.. but I keep seeing "get an alignment" but can't find advice on specs. I haven't added coilovers/camber plates yet, so is it really worth worrying right now?

**edit. NM. I found a thread.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wanted to post some factual usage updates here.

The OEM rotors are perfectly fine for track use. You have to use the correct pads and fluid for the track. People that say otherwise don't have the right setup.

My current braking setup:
OEM calipers
OEM rotors
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads front/rear
Endless RF-650 brake fluid

My home track is Lime Rock Park. It's a short track at 1.5 miles so not many good opportunities for brake cooling. I hit 130 mph in the straight and my OEM caliper and OEM rotor setup hauls me down no problem. My last event there was a fully open hot track for four hours, for advanced drivers only. I could go on and off the track as I pleased. I did a ton of laps and the brakes held up fine all day long.

Just this weekend I was at Pocono raceway running the Mega Configuration, 2.5 miles. This configuration uses some of the nascar banked turns so there are some high speeds. I was hitting 143 mph all day long in advanced group and my brakes where fine.

Palmer is another track I attend, 2.3 miles. Palmer has a crazy amount of elevation changes, basically a roller coaster ride of a road course. Lots of heavy braking. Depending on counter or normal clockwise config, the car hits 120-130mph in the front straight and into very heavy braking zones. Last event I was there it was 95*. Brakes worked all day long. Seven sessions.

Photo of Palmer showing how much of a roller coaster it is and NOT easy on brakes:

15-turns-509-of-overall.jpeg

My one gripe with my current setup is that the Club Racer pads lack the initial bite that pads like the ST47 and CSG C21's do. That said, they still haul the car down just fine all day long, on stock OEM rotors.

Video of Pocono:

Reading this again, I thought this was a new post and must have read it too quickly the 1st time. Any car I've ever tracked has always been about the best race pads you can buy, good DOT4 fluid and possibly steel brake lines. It's brutal down here in FL... Occasionally peeps would get expansion with a regular line set. Tires ofc, and your personal preference for suspension setup... So yeah, Razorlabs nailed it. And more importantly, he's been doing this in his Supra!

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
Wanted to post some factual usage updates here.

The OEM rotors are perfectly fine for track use. You have to use the correct pads and fluid for the track. People that say otherwise don't have the right setup.

OEM calipers
OEM rotors
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads front/rear
Endless RF-650 brake fluid

My home track is Lime Rock Park. It's a short track at 1.5 miles so not many good opportunities for brake cooling. I hit 130 mph in the straight and my OEM caliper and OEM rotor setup hauls me down no problem. My last event there was a fully open hot track for four hours, for advanced drivers only. I could go on and off the track as I pleased. I did a ton of laps and the brakes held up fine all day long.

Just this weekend I was at Pocono raceway running the Mega Configuration, 2.5 miles. This configuration uses some of the nascar banked turns so there are some high speeds. I was hitting 143 mph all day long in advanced group and my brakes where fine.

Palmer is another track I attend, 2.3 miles. Palmer has a crazy amount of elevation changes, basically a roller coaster ride of a road course. Lots of heavy braking. Depending on counter or normal clockwise config, the car hits 120-130mph in the front straight and into very heavy braking zones. Last event I was there it was 95*. Brakes worked all day long. Seven sessions.

Photo of Palmer showing how much of a roller coaster it is and NOT easy on brakes:

15-turns-509-of-overall.jpeg

My one gripe with my current setup is that the Club Racer pads lack the initial bite that pads like the ST47 and CSG C21's do. That said, they still haul the car down just fine all day long, on stock OEM rotors.

Video of Pocono:

thats beautiful driving :thumbsup:
the supra is just a blast to drive and surprises me every time
i love the suspension but i think there is too much body roll
my cusco sway bars is on the way

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
Semi related.. but I keep seeing "get an alignment" but can't find advice on specs. I haven't added coilovers/camber plates yet, so is it really worth worrying right now?

**edit. NM. I found a thread.
can you share the specs?

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I have all spl arms and camber plates. But with sport springs on stock shocks. So have played around with a lot of camber settings etc. with stock springs you cannot get more than -3 in front without rubbing the strut tower ribs.

I am not sure how far you can go without camber plates and lower control arm but stock is probably about -.9 and you shred outside fronts fairly quickly. So -2.8 front and -2.6 rear seems to be a good combo. On tow straight up in front and 1/16 tow in in rear.

Having said that you will not be able to get there without adjustable control arms and camber plates.

So I think it is still worth getting an alignment to as much NEG camber as you can on stock setup. If you could get to -1.5 in front and - 1.2 in rear with same tow settings as above I think you will notice a difference and get better tire wear. Not sure what tires you are using. But if driving on street and track would suggest a 200 treadwear. Federal 595rsrr come in the stock rim sizes and are not bad for both street and track and price is right. But there are many options. Faster tires will need more camber so would wait until you get arms and camber plates to try those out.

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium in Phantom Matte Grey
I have found the limit for OEM rotors / CSG C21 / C11 track pads.

OEM calipers
OEM rotors
CSG C21 Front / C11 Rear track pads
SRF brake fluid

Wheels / Tires:
Apex SM10 18x10
275 40 18 Goodyear SC3 (non R)
Square set up

My home track is Mission Raceway Park near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. It's a short track at 1:12-1:13 lap times in the Supra without much ability for brake cooling. I hit 125 mph on the main straight and my OEM caliper and OEM rotor setup with CSG track pads can stop the car well for a few laps but toward the end of sessions there is fade and the start of some brake judder.

Just this past weekend I was at Area27 racetrack in Oliver B.C. for the first time in the Supra. I was hitting 130 mph on the main straight with a bit more cooling time but also more hard braking events around the much longer track that I was able to lap in the 2:19s. My brakes where again fine for a few laps but as sessions went on the pad fade (not fluid fade, pedal was still firm) and eventually brake judder started.

So although many of you might get by on stock rotors and calipers with upgraded track pads, if you are an advanced / instructor level driver on some demanding circuits you may find the limit of the OEM brake set up.

I'm also destroying the outside edges of my tires with the completely stock suspension -1.9 degrees of front negative camber (max I can get with near zero toe) and -2.0Ā° in the rear with .2 toe in.

I'm trying to run the car in SCCA Sport 2 class for Time Trials, so I can't run camber plates or replace the OEM suspension components. Lowering springs are about all I can do and that probably won't get me a ton of extra camber, so I'm guessing excessive outer shoulder tire wear is something I'm going to have to live with. Maybe symmetrical tires I can flip on the rim will be the way to go.

Having said all that, I think the car is very capable in almost stock form and I'm very happy with the times I'm able to attain after just a few track days. The Supra is easy to drive fast and an incredible performance bargain.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Are you over using the brakes?

A lot of people have no issues like that on similar length courses and top speeds or even higher with no issues. Myself included. Advanced driver, seen 147 mph and hard braking lap after lap in 85F+ temps.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I have found the limit for OEM rotors / CSG C21 / C11 track pads.

OEM calipers
OEM rotors
CSG C21 Front / C11 Rear track pads
SRF brake fluid

Wheels / Tires:
Apex SM10 18x10
275 40 18 Goodyear SC3 (non R)
Square set up

My home track is Mission Raceway Park near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. It's a short track at 1:12-1:13 lap times in the Supra without much ability for brake cooling. I hit 125 mph on the main straight and my OEM caliper and OEM rotor setup with CSG track pads can stop the car well for a few laps but toward the end of sessions there is fade and the start of some brake judder.

Just this past weekend I was at Area27 racetrack in Oliver B.C. for the first time in the Supra. I was hitting 130 mph on the main straight with a bit more cooling time but also more hard braking events around the much longer track that I was able to lap in the 2:19s. My brakes where again fine for a few laps but as sessions went on the pad fade (not fluid fade, pedal was still firm) and eventually brake judder started.

So although many of you might get by on stock rotors and calipers with upgraded track pads, if you are an advanced / instructor level driver on some demanding circuits you may find the limit of the OEM brake set up.

I'm also destroying the outside edges of my tires with the completely stock suspension -1.9 degrees of front negative camber (max I can get with near zero toe) and -2.0Ā° in the rear with .2 toe in.

I'm trying to run the car in SCCA Sport 2 class for Time Trials, so I can't run camber plates or replace the OEM suspension components. Lowering springs are about all I can do and that probably won't get me a ton of extra camber, so I'm guessing excessive outer shoulder tire wear is something I'm going to have to live with. Maybe symmetrical tires I can flip on the rim will be the way to go.

Having said all that, I think the car is very capable in almost stock form and I'm very happy with the times I'm able to attain after just a few track days. The Supra is easy to drive fast and an incredible performance bargain.
Great review & thx 4 the post! Impressive youā€™ve made it so far with very little camber. This will be the heaviest car Iā€™ve ever tracked. But will also be the most powerful hp wise. Iā€™m really hoping I can carry enough speed into the corners and not be at 9-10 pedal braking more than usual. We have 2 really big straights (before turn 7 and 17 at Sebring) that Iā€˜ll definitely get up enough speed and be forced to put it down hard. Itā€™s a huge course. Turn 10 would be my biggest concern for fade because itā€™s not long after the hard braking from 7 that Iā€™d need decent brakes again. The rest of the way I can typically get away with 4-5 pedal braking. Perhaps Iā€™ll need more camber than I have in the past to carry more speed. My MX5 is only 2200lbs and definitely didnā€™t need to 10 pedal, unless I was way offline overtaking in a pass. Itā€™ll definitely be interesting 4sho. Canā€™t wait!

Phantom Menace

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium in Phantom Matte Grey
Are you over using the brakes?

A lot of people have no issues like that on similar length courses and top speeds or even higher with no issues. Myself included. Advanced driver, seen 147 mph and hard braking lap after lap in 85F+ temps.
I was using the brakes as much as necessary to not fly off the circuit, don't think I was using them any more than needed and was trying to use them for shortest period possible at each braking zone, although at Area27 to get fast laps there is alot of trail braking needed. Maybe there just isn't enough cooling time between each hard braking event.

My time is a pretty fast time for the track, I was quite happy with it for first time in the Supra, and I had a few Porsche drivers reluctantly signal me by, so I'm hustling the car pretty hard.
Sponsored