0W20 VS 5W30 VS 0W40 Motor oil for track use

neverknowsbest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Just remember that the engine was built with 0W-20 in mind. Same goes for all of the durability and engine testing. If 0W-20 wasnt going to cut it, they wouldnt have used it. No manufacturer is going to want to pay out warranty cost if they can help it.

I'll keep going with 0-20, but with some kind of "performance oil". Used VR1 in the past, but they don't make a 0-20. Also planning on sending out oil samples to blackstone for periodic check ins.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I find it absolutely hilarious that the guy that was talking shit on oil testing saying it wasn’t worth the effort is the same guy geeking out on oil expansion rates.
Well it's easy to talk big but the question is valid and worth asking. Before you start testing oil you need to ask yourself what am I going to do if the results come back with question marks?
If you are prepared to strip the engine or flip the car then test away, if not then you're just kidding yourself and wasting money.
The vast majority of car enthusiasts change their oil far more regularly than is needed in reality so it's not like you need the analysis to make those kind of decisions and it's not like you're going to find one brand of full synthetic SN+ or SP rated oil is way better on wear particle count than another. Just something for people to think about. Your mind is already made up so keep going with it.
Many, many technical and engineering details interest me. I guess for someone that needed to be interested in SEM results on materials pulled from engine mag plugs so I could make serviceability decisions on gas turbine engines worth millions of dollars and be answerable to the regulatory body and the company it's not that unusual. Ponder on it next time you look out the window of the jet you're on and look at the engine on the wing. Detail people like me look after them, and you.

Phil

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Well it's easy to talk big but the question is valid and worth asking. Before you start testing oil you need to ask yourself what am I going to do if the results come back with question marks?
If you are prepared to strip the engine or flip the car then test away, if not then you're just kidding yourself and wasting money.
The vast majority of car enthusiasts change their oil far more regularly than is needed in reality so it's not like you need the analysis to make those kind of decisions and it's not like you're going to find one brand of full synthetic SN+ or SP rated oil is way better on wear particle count than another. Just something for people to think about. Your mind is already made up so keep going with it.
Many, many technical and engineering details interest me. I guess for someone that needed to be interested in SEM results on materials pulled from engine mag plugs so I could make serviceability decisions on gas turbine engines worth millions of dollars and be answerable to the regulatory body and the company it's not that unusual. Ponder on it next time you look out the window of the jet you're on and look at the engine on the wing. Detail people like me look after them, and you.

Phil
Sad how people now more than ever literally take for granted the science that allows them to do many 'taken for granted' things. Flying and driving included. They read the internet data of some unknown and its almost truth. The silly change oil at 5k or less (not tracking, just normal driving etc), yet the car knows when you should and literally alerts you. The amount of work behind the motor, gearbox, brakes and its tolerances would melt most, more so in aviation of which I have thousands of flight hours in as well(previous career).

Now I have another career in a related tech field and still see the same idiocy from 'user's who think things work by using the force etc etc. The daily belittling of knowledge, science and those who are professionals in it, is at an all time high in this world. and its the least educated who are the loudest about not trusting it yet suffer the most when they need it, abeit TOO late actually. The science deniers use the same science they deny to spread their absurd messages.

Driving is very much a technical exercise but dont bother telling the average driver, who does little maintenance or probably never reads the associated manual that sits in the dash of the car, waiting for them to gain some knowledge by simply reading it.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

Phil
TLDR

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Big difference in oil specs if really racing (not just a couple track days) and normal- even spirited driving

the 0-20decision was mostly due to emmisions goals. Nothing to do with “specs”

so
Many people over think oil
Weights If not racing there is zero reason to run anything other than manufacturer spec.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Big difference in oil specs if really racing (not just a couple track days) and normal- even spirited driving

the 0-20decision was mostly due to emmisions goals. Nothing to do with “specs”

so
Many people over think oil
Weights If not racing there is zero reason to run anything other than manufacturer spec.
Precisely. No way am I doing 20 minute sessions in 100° F heat with 20 weight oil.
I seriously doubt Toyota put 20 weight oil in our cars with the intention we beat on it at the racetrack. I have to imagine They would think we are smart enough to do a bit of research and make changes as needed. Otherwise, we would all be out there on 20 weight oil with stock brake pads and stock tires..
Sponsored